Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to find a good home for these birds.
I have a Dutch blue lovebird male 4yo, madagascar fishers lovebird female (unkown age) and White american parrotlete male (5yo). Each bird has a different character and 3 of then don't get along. The fishers lovebird needs her beak to be trimmed every couple of month- liver problems inherited from previous owner.

Two other boys don't get along because of her and damage (bite off) their wing feathers. I brought them to the vet and they had a hormon shots but it doesn't work.

They have been visiting avian vet on regular basis and in perfect helth (other than chewing their wing feathers).

The parrotlete male had a family in the past and he is a good father. His wife died because local non avian vet gave her overdose in medication. After that accident I go only to avian vet eventhough it is 1 hour drive for me.

Please if you know someone who can be a good family for each of them, forward this email.

Thank you in advance.

Olga
Ann Arbor, MI
(734)7076510

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the interest. I have my lovebird with parrotlete now and DO NOT get along. Maybe because of the girl around, maybe because of the difference in breed.

BTW, do you see any wild parrots around? Here in Michigan we only hear about them being wild in CA or in AZ.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes we have a lot of wild birds here. There are whole flocks of amazon parrots.
Did the Amazon Parrots make their way from South America or are they as a result of people setting their pets free? I am only asking out of interest because there are flocks of Indian Ringnecks in and around London.

I've never seen them when I have visited, and I was dumbfounded when my friend told me that they were plentiful, and in other cities by all accounts, take a look at this!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6478911.stm

😮

·
Super Moderator
4,472 Posts
Did the Amazon Parrots make their way from South America or are they as a result of people setting their pets free? I am only asking out of interest because there are flocks of Indian Ringnecks in and around London.

I've never seen them when I have visited, and I was dumbfounded when my friend told me that they were plentiful, and in other cities by all accounts, take a look at this!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6478911.stm

��
Nobody really ever knows how a flock shows up. Every flock seems to have an urban legend about a crate of them breaking open at the airport or a pet store going out of business that just released the birds instead of letting them go to the bank, or a collector that died and releasing their birds shortly before or after his death. Almost every flock has the same stores, none known to be true. As if a flock of birds could not have migrated there on their own given the correct set of circumstances over a period of time.
The interesting thing is that the local government always get upset, it seems that nobody likes seeing darwinism in action.

·
Registered
307 Posts
There is a family of Quaker parrots in my neighborhood and through out different areas of the east coast. In the summer, I used to see and hear them while walking my dog, or going to the park. I think it's so cool that they adapted to certain areas. Now that's it's getting so cold here lately, I haven't seen them anymore.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Thank you for the interest. I have my lovebird with parrotlete now and DO NOT get along. Maybe because of the girl around, maybe because of the difference in breed.

BTW, do you see any wild parrots around? Here in Michigan we only hear about them being wild in CA or in AZ.
There is a flock of wild quaker parrots in Saginaw, they hang out near city hall. :)

You might want to also post in talkparrots.com too.

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
South Florida (Ft. Lauderdale) has a lot of wild parrots set loose from a zoo from one of their Hurricanes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you thank you everyone for your replies! I wish I can go to Mexico and let my parrotlete hang out with his friends, then I go to Africa and let my other boy to be with his friends....

My heart is broken but nature plays a bad joke on 3 of them together...

Still hope that someone could be a good family for one of them.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
You might see if there is a bird rescue organization in your area...they will take in, care for, and rehabilitate birds that are not easy to re-home. If you ask your avian vet, they should know of the organizations in the area, and how to contact them.

I wish you the best of luck in finding each of your birds new homes!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You might see if there is a bird rescue organization in your area...they will take in, care for, and rehabilitate birds that are not easy to re-home. If you ask your avian vet, they should know of the organizations in the area, and how to contact them.

I wish you the best of luck in finding each of your birds new homes!
Thank you for the advice. I contacted everyone in the area here. Waiting for the replies.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts