Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone... I'm new to the forum, so hopefully I can explain everything correctly without boring anyone.

We've been trying to breed parrotlets for two years without success. we have two large cages for the parrotlets and they are stacked on top of each other so that one pair can not see the other. They are located in our rec. room downstairs with all full spectrum lighting on a timer. There are also toys in the cage for them. I'm placing a thermometer and humidity cage downstairs tonight to see if the temp. and humidity is part of the problem. The nest boxes are located on the outside of the cage towards the top with easy access. They do go in and out of the box. We've purchased all the eggfood, suplements, etc... to try and help.

The first pair did have one clutch last year, without any of the eggs being fertile. The pair was purchased as a "proven pair". (frustrating) but nothing happened.... so we thought this season they would be good to go, but there's nothing happening except one of the birds has almost plucked all the feathers off of the other bird. We've talked to a someone at a bird show and they told us this was a good sign as it was a signal that they were getting ready to do their thing. That was a few months ago and nothing is happening. I've seen the birds go near the nest box this season, but there is no nesting going on, and I do not believe they are "mating" although I'm not sure what to look for. So that's the story on the first pair.

The second pair are located in a larger flight type cage under the pair described above. Again these were purchased as a proven pair. We were excited thinking that this would be the perfect set up with two pairs that can hear each other and not see one another, with plenty of room for them to do their thing. The female has laid a clutch... she started in the beginning of February.... and now it is March with the eggs not hatching. I candled an egg last night and found that they are not fertile... although she was very protective of the eggs and got me once!! ouch!! at any rate, the male rarely goes in the nest box and stays on the outside way up in a corner... I really never see him go inside.... She has about 7 eggs. The first season they did not do anything, but we just thought it was too early...or we missed the boat on the breeding season.

We are at a loss...can anyone give me any ideas.???

Is it the temperature and humidity? I would say it's probably around 70 degrees in the rec. room.

Is it the lighting? Someone told me to go and get a heat type lamp?

Do they need something to stimulate them??

Should we pull the infertile eggs? and will she try to lay again...??

Thanks soooo much!!

Randy

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Randy,

First off, welcome aboard! Second, there are several members that are breeding their birds or just getting started so hopefully you will get some good feedback soon.

Head plucking is a good sign - the females usually line their nests with those hairs.

The only thing that comes to mind issue-wise is how much rest time do your birds get? Many people recommend keeping the cages covered 12 hours each night.

Otherwise, I'm stumped.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Memmey,

So we all can have more of the little green fuzzy things!!:D :D :D

Regards,

Art S.
You know I'm gonna sound like an ass but I always worry about inexperienced breeders. I don't mean any harm.... but the little birds are the ones who suffer our ignorance sometimes. There are only two or three here that could even give any real advice on it and I haven't seen them post in a while. I just think why? to sell them? to have a whole bunch more of them? Young male birds aren't good fathers if they don't feed the female and she has to leave the eggs to eat and then you lose the eggs, there are so many things to know before you start. I guess I'm just thinking who pays the price for what we don't know. I just hate to see that I guess..ignore me..... what do I know.:(

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Memmey,

Your concern is very admirable. However, it sounds like Randy did his homework and even aquired 'experienced' birds. From here, the only way to become an experienced parrotlet breeder is to breed parrotlets ;) .

If mine weren't brother and sister, I would consider breeding them.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
No, I mean no offense to Randy and I welcome him here with us. I guess knowing how intelligent these little birds are I worry about their mental health sometimes. Why? it's me. I also worry about reasearch chimps,stray dogs , cats in the pound and starving kids in Africa etc.etc. Randy if you read this I am not a jerk. Ms.F I beleive has raised them and she has a thread and photos of the babies. If she doesn't post anymore she may have an email address to contact her in her profile. Also, a nice guy I think he was from the phillipines I forgot his name..look for his post and email him, he has a blog spot with photos and his web address. He raises all kinds of birds. Randy I didn't mean to offend you...I was thinking out loud(bad idea) and my friend Art gave me ...subtle reminder.....smooth moderation Art. Welcome Randy...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No offense taken. Why do we want to breed them... well, we really love birds and have taken the initial step and started with carnies and finches. We had such a variety of finches and eventually sold them to another breeder and individuals that wanted them for pets. We've progressed to the parrotlets because they are an awesome bird. So friendly and loveable... and we have requests from people that we know will give them good homes. It would be nice to get into the bigger birds (we have a umbrella cockatoo, two African Greys, Green Cheek conure) and they all are given a nice environment. We even take the bigger birds with us to our weekend get-a-way place that we own in a campground. I guess the bottom line is that we like it, we love the birds, we know if and when we have the little ones that they will either go to good homes or we will keep them until we are comfortable with whomever wants them. I'm having trouble finding a place to post my "need assistance" message that will get some serious reviews.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Nico,

There are several breeders on this site, I thought they would have chimed in by now.

Hopefully you will get a useful response in a day or two.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
The really nice guy is EJ he did not leave his email address but maybe Dave could forward for you...it's worth trying.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Hello everyone... I'm new to the forum, so hopefully I can explain everything correctly without boring anyone.

We've been trying to breed parrotlets for two years without success. we have two large cages for the parrotlets and they are stacked on top of each other so that one pair can not see the other. They are located in our rec. room downstairs with all full spectrum lighting on a timer. There are also toys in the cage for them. I'm placing a thermometer and humidity cage downstairs tonight to see if the temp. and humidity is part of the problem. The nest boxes are located on the outside of the cage towards the top with easy access. They do go in and out of the box. We've purchased all the eggfood, suplements, etc... to try and help.

The first pair did have one clutch last year, without any of the eggs being fertile. The pair was purchased as a "proven pair". (frustrating) but nothing happened.... so we thought this season they would be good to go, but there's nothing happening except one of the birds has almost plucked all the feathers off of the other bird. We've talked to a someone at a bird show and they told us this was a good sign as it was a signal that they were getting ready to do their thing. That was a few months ago and nothing is happening. I've seen the birds go near the nest box this season, but there is no nesting going on, and I do not believe they are "mating" although I'm not sure what to look for. So that's the story on the first pair.

The second pair are located in a larger flight type cage under the pair described above. Again these were purchased as a proven pair. We were excited thinking that this would be the perfect set up with two pairs that can hear each other and not see one another, with plenty of room for them to do their thing. The female has laid a clutch... she started in the beginning of February.... and now it is March with the eggs not hatching. I candled an egg last night and found that they are not fertile... although she was very protective of the eggs and got me once!! ouch!! at any rate, the male rarely goes in the nest box and stays on the outside way up in a corner... I really never see him go inside.... She has about 7 eggs. The first season they did not do anything, but we just thought it was too early...or we missed the boat on the breeding season.

We are at a loss...can anyone give me any ideas.???

Is it the temperature and humidity? I would say it's probably around 70 degrees in the rec. room.

Is it the lighting? Someone told me to go and get a heat type lamp?

Do they need something to stimulate them??

Should we pull the infertile eggs? and will she try to lay again...??

Thanks soooo much!!

Randy
Hi Randy – not that I’m experienced in breeding but here goes from what I’ve gathered – ;) - So take this with a grain of salt, its just ideas you can research.

The breeder I got my P’let from said she separates her cages using a very large board so the breeding pairs can’t see each other – I’d try this instead of one on top of the other – Couldn’t hurt – could be something as simple as this.

Also the Parrotlets being as difficult to breed as they are – are also very sensitive to the light in their environment. You mentioned you have them downstairs in your rec. room. Does the rec. room get “natural” lighting at all? Or are you using just Full Spectrum lighting exclusively?

I’ve just recently learned how sensitive they are to lighting from a very knowledgeable Parrotlet owner – I myself threw my Parrotlet into all kinds of hormonal issues using the Full Spectrum along with natural lighting incorrectly.

They need the natural gradual rising and setting effect as the sun gives – having any lighting just POP on and then POP off as electric lighting does can mess with their pituitary gland and I’m ‘assuming’ could have an effect on breeding pairs.

Proper Lighting might be a good place to research.

Hope this helps :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Have you gotten a copy of Sandee Molenda's book, "The Parrotlet Handbook"? She goes into great detail about breeding, and it is a great resource. she knows so much. Also, she has a facebook page for her business called Parrot Ranch. You can get on her Parrotlet Ranch page and ask questions. She answers them all the time. No one could give you better advice. Also her website the Parrotlet Ranch have tons of info.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts