Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parrotlet Lemon has been shaking, fluffed up and lethargic for a month now. We have seen two vets, she has completed a course of antibiotics and given vitamin treatment (a super shot and sent home with calcium and Sunshine Factor). She is still eating, preening, playing and sleeping as normal. She just spends most of her day on the bottom of her cage and sleeps a lot. Don't think it's heavy metal poisoning or fatty liver. Any other suggestions of what it could be? I am sick if pumping the vet with money to be told nothing is wrong. Thank you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ps both vets avian certified. Did a poop test and throat culture. Shouldn't be viral because she shares a cage with her sister Lime and Lime is fine. Would like suggestions out of the realm of the usual suspects.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,181 Posts
How do you know it's not heavy metal poisoning or fatty liver? Was bloodwork done? Doesn't matter if it's viral or not. I had one bird die from a viral infection and my 4 other birds were fine for years down the line.... so I wouldn't necessarily rule that out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,388 Posts
Have your vet do a complete blood panel. If you are dealing with either liver disease or heavy metal poisoning, this will show both.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was told a vet can tell fatty liver from looking and as for heavy metal poisoning her poops are fine. Wouldn't she be dead by now? Vet told me they wouldn't get enough blood to tell anything?

Any other possibilities you can think of?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,210 Posts
They should be able to get enough blood for these tests. Also one someone on here has had a bird with lead poisoning and it didn't die and they were able to flush it out and it was a lengthy process if I remember correctly. Another member's bird got very sick from bacteria from plastic water fountains.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,181 Posts
You can potentially find heavy metal poisoning with x-rays... a couple of people's bird had it based on the x-rays...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So called the Vet to discuss blood tests again today. Waiting for him to call me back. I don't want to put my bird through xrays. That sounds scary to me. Radiation for a tiny bird can't be good.

We switched to stainless steel and away from plastic once Lemon got sick. Trying everything: keeping her warm, vitamins, antibiotics, moved her to another room. Next step possibly separate my girls for a couple days and see if it's perhaps a behavioral thing. Then after that we are going to switch around her cage.

Just don't want to cause undue stress if she really is sick. =(

Once the vet calls me back and we arrange bloodwork, I will keep you all posted. Besides that let me know if you think of anything to try or that this could be.

Thanks again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
So sorry. Poor baby. Best of luck. Vets can be hesitant to take blood from such small birds but it seems like a crucial situation so I would insist.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
4,460 Posts
Where are you getting his water from? Home tap? City or well water?

I would be inclined to use distilled water just to be sure nothing was getting in via the water supply. This time of year water companies tend to increase the chemicals they put in their water to keep algae and bacteria blooms down during the summer months. In my area we can smell the increase of chemicals in our city water so I use a reverse osmosis filter to keep my birds safe.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top