Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My little parrotlet Kirby died today, leaving is mate Sophia all alone, I'm so worried about her. She is all puffed up, has not eaten very much, and is sleeping in their nest box. I'm SOO worried about her and feel awful for her. Plus I'm grieving too but it's much worse for her. They loved each other so much it was just lovely to watch them. What can I do to help her survive this loss? I have another male parrotlet that lives in a separate cage, and he keeps trying to go see her, but she wants nothing to do with him. Do you think they might become friends with time? Anyway I'm at a loss to help her, and I want to so much.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I'm so very sorry to hear about the loss of Kirby. :( Right now, what she needs most is time to adjust to her loss. Parrots go through a grieving process and it needs to happen so that she can continue on without him. She realizes he's gone and she's going to miss him. About all you can do is give her some extra attention and make sure she's eating. As she accepts his loss, you will know if/when she's open to another companion. Your other male may or may not be accepted at a later day. Certainly not right now.

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Oh so sorry for your loss and Sophia's loss. You both need time to grieve and honor Kirby's memory. You'll know when she is ready. Was he sick? Maybe you should have Sophia checked by the Vet just to make sure.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
:( So sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Oh no =( i am so sorry for your and Sophia's loss. I agree with jeanapp that maybe Sophia should get checked if Kirby was ill. So sorry.

·
Registered
812 Posts
So sorry to hear about Kirby :( I have to agree with the others. Sophia needs her time, just as humans do. Please keep an eye on her, as jeanne said, it's possible that Sophia may need to be checked.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about Kirby :( But I agree, without knowing if Kirby was ill, it may be advisable to have Sophia checked out. If healthy, it will just take time for her to adjust. Who knows, maybe when she's ready she'll bond with your single male.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the kind words, and the advice. Sophia is eating, drinking and calling out to Cosmo my other male parrotlet. They chased each other around the floor, and stood kinda near each other checking each other out. I went and bought millet to give her a treat. She slept last 2 nights in her nest box, I guess she's never slept alone. All and all she is coping. Kirby died in an accident, so i won't need to take Sophia to the vet. I'm so proud of her, and hopeful.

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Sounds like she will be ok. Hope you will too. You have your two little ones to help fill the hole.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update on Sophia-Now need NEW advice!

Sophia is going to be fine, as she is eating, decided her breeding box is her new bedroom( she puts herself to bed in there-so cute), has been active. My problem is one year old boy Cosmo is now ignoring his best buddy and cage mate(a budgie) and is obsessed with her. He can't stay away from her cage if I let him out. I usually let him out for hours at a time. But he will now just pester Sophia and is even trying to go in her cage and kick her out. wtf? why? He shouts and screeches to get IN her cage. She hates him. What do I do so he will just relax and let her be?:confused::(

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Can he see her and/or her cage? If yes, then consider blocking his view of her... also give him new toys to play with to see if it will distract him.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, he can see her cage, as the two cages are in the same room, on the same side of the room. I will try to move the cages and see if this helps. Goodness my Cosmo is a little monster! He will quiet down if I ask him to, (lucky);right now, he is hanging out on her cage on the cover I put on it to sort of block him from seeing her--but he is at least quiet. Gosh he's smart. And wicked.!:rolleyes::eek:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update on Cosmo and Sophia: Sophia relented, and let Cosmo live in her cage. They at first were a little awkward around each other, but several days later are very cozy and seem happy. Cosmo lunges to bite me through the cage when I'm in the bedroom and pass their cage, and when I change the water and food every morning. So my budgie Kipper has been lonely since he was ditched by Cosmo. HOWEVER- Sophia likes to go to sleep pretty early, so Cosmo walks out into the living room and acts like,"Hi Mom, Hi Kipper, what's new? like he didn't just try to bite my hand off earlier and dump his buddy for a girl. So he goes into Kipper's cage and eats his food, and they groom each other and play for hours. I have to put Cosmo back in with his new mate at our bedtime. It's cute that he spends his day with Sophia, waits till she puts herself to bed, then joins me and Kipper in the living room till bed. He is quite the little guy, Cosmo is..

·
Registered
34 Posts
Update on Cosmo and Sophia: Sophia relented, and let Cosmo live in her cage. They at first were a little awkward around each other, but several days later are very cozy and seem happy. Cosmo lunges to bite me through the cage when I'm in the bedroom and pass their cage, and when I change the water and food every morning. So my budgie Kipper has been lonely since he was ditched by Cosmo. HOWEVER- Sophia likes to go to sleep pretty early, so Cosmo walks out into the living room and acts like,"Hi Mom, Hi Kipper, what's new? like he didn't just try to bite my hand off earlier and dump his buddy for a girl. So he goes into Kipper's cage and eats his food, and they groom each other and play for hours. I have to put Cosmo back in with his new mate at our bedtime. It's cute that he spends his day with Sophia, waits till she puts herself to bed, then joins me and Kipper in the living room till bed. He is quite the little guy, Cosmo is..
Wow.....this is too cute for words....

·
Registered
824 Posts
Sorry for your loss and best wishes.
Our feathered children can be complicated can't they?
It sounds like you're all on your way to recovery.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dear mlee, I know it late just saw your post. Wanted to express my sympathy. I lost 2 females to egg binding and blamed myself for a while so I just want to make sure you don't go down that road. These thing happen if you have birds for years it likely will happen to you. God Bless you and your birds by now shes likely found a new mate. i am a big advocate of millet spray in any disruption. It has protein and its easy to digest Birds can live on it for short periods. Sincerly, Bonnie

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you Bonnie, how did you know? Thanks for the kind words. Bless you.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Btw, Sophia is quite "plump" in her vent region. I think I'm going to be a grandma. Well well, as I write this, Cosmo has walked into the living room. Right on time. 8 p.m.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts