Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been noticing that my 7 month old boy keeps getting these muscle twitches/spasms of the neck that last about 10 seconds. It almost seems like he has torettes. His head kinda moves from side to side. Sometimes he loses grip of his perch and flies to where i am sitting. It seems to happen at least once a day out of no where. Is this him having a seizure? I sure hope not :( Please help! :confused:

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
When he does it, is his mouth open, and does he stretch his neck up high? If so, he could be adjusting his crop. All birds do this occasionally and it is nothing to worry about. The other thing parrotlets do is something called wigglenecking, where they actually regurgitate for their mate (you?), and it looks really funny. They move their head really fast, from side to side, and their neck makes this funny wiggling motion. It is also nothing to worry about. Could it be either of these your bird is doing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Noo. He has done the adjusting his corp thing but that looks much different from when he is twitching his neck. And I've never seen him throw up and he doesn't have a mate. He just has this fast twitch movement going on in his neck. I believe it may be called Wry Neck?

·
Premium Member
12,210 Posts
He doesn't need a mate to wiggle neck. He could consider you his mate. Also I have seen them wiggle neck without regurgitating out of their mouth(i.e. throwing up). If he were to have wry neck (but I think that happens in chickens, turkeys and peacocks), you would need to immediately bring him to a vet.

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
No... mine doesn't do that.... well not unless there's something either in their nose or a feather on their head, but then it only lasts that one day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts