Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I need some help to start off.

My parents are really big on "internet safety." :( Which means I can't get stuff that you would normally get on the internet. Which means no big cage and other stuff that I can't find in my area at a regular store. My Ki- Ki needs some of this stuff, I respect my parents and understand their motives, but I will get a credit card when I am 18... which is 4 YEARS from now. I don't think Kiwi can last that long with the cage he has now which is a little bit smaller than the standard cage.

Any suggestions?

P.S. I am really starting to regret getting Kiwi at this young of age. My parents can't get it through their heads that Kiwi needs more. They think because he is small that he has a good enough cage (his cage is bigger than Sonnie's). :( :( I have the $$, but it requires their credit card.My family thinks that he has a big enough cage so everything that I bring up gets shot down which makes me irritable.

I brought it up today, and got the "stare" which is a flat-out "no."

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'd try explaining it to them again, it can never hurt. Print out articles on parrotlet care, show them pictures of good setups verses a small cage with an unhappy bird. Send them here if you can. c: I'd also suggest it as a Christmas present if nothing else. He may be fine, provided you keep him busy with out of cage time and lots of toys. Thankfully, my mother is a bird lover, and my dad is converted. c: Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is there any way to have them get you one of those Visa gift cards using the cash you have? That way you can shop online, but since it's basically a "throaway" gift card, there's no worries for security. You can figure out what you wish to purchase and then give them that amount so they can get the card -- I think most banks offer them.

Other than that, some places do allow for you to send a check. You'd just need to print out the order form, fill it in, and mail it. See if any of the sites you're looking at offer that option.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I agree with Cydney and Wilder -- if you request it as a Christmas gift, your parents may see how serious you are for the care of your Parrotlet. I'm glad to see that you're doing your research and giving your little one the best of care. Keep it up!

·
Registered
794 Posts
You know ...If I were you I would tell them what I wanted the money for and ask if you could work toward it. Find a job that they will pay you for and work for it. That sounds like a drag but as you get older you will find that it is the way life works unfortunatley..LOL. I'm really really old compared to you and I would have to work to get the cage. Everyone here would.
If you never take any advise ever in your life here it is...Never get a credit card. If you can't pay for it you don't want it. One day you will look back and think that was good advise...LOL

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Do you knwo if the sites you are trying to buy from accept paypal? Since you have the money, you can simply put it in a savings or checking account and open a paypap account and pay that way. If they don't, then you may have to make due with what you've got.

Check on craigslist and see if there is anyone selling cages. I've seen some GREAT deals on cages, and wish I could have gotten them when I saw them. Right now there is many selling his female eclectus w/ cage and toys for $500. I wish I could get her, but I can't afford another bird and I don't have the space. . .

Look around and be patient. Your little one will be fine as long as you continue to have him out as much as possible.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
You can tell them you are trying to be the best caregiver and you do know that Parrotlets are small, but that has nothing to do with the size of a cage. They are birds, they move, fly and play. NO one needs to be in a small space.

You can get a debit/credit card with a limited amount on it. A special pet or online acount. There is SO much online! There are some safe and great ways to use online stores. I like to order from a person also. I always speak to someone when I order.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
True there are a lot of different ways to order items on line. But thats not the topic, the topic is your parents concerns and it sounds like their concern is for you. Sounds to me like they are being responsible parents and looking out for their daughters best interest - you are very lucky to have parents who care so much about you :).

A lot of people feel that ordering on line is unsafe and to their credit a lot of times it can be. I suggest you hold off until Christmas or your Birthday ( I think with all the care you give Kiwi he will be fine in his current cage for now ;) )

On Christmas or your birthday let your parents know that what you want is a different Cage and you are willing to put in some of your own money also - maybe they can be reasoned with to get you a Gift Visa or Master Card as your gift and you and they can order a cage on line together. This way they won't have to put their personal Credit card information on line and you will be getting your Christmas or B-Day gift - if you approach this in the right way with them - it could be a win win situation.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I DO have job. Mosing lawns and keeping the house clean (dishes. bathroom, floor, wall facings)

I really do understand my parents motives.

Craigslists... omg. We live in a place that is "crap" so to say. I left the city live and went into the country. There is nothing here. Southern Il... what a great place to behold. *sarcastic* I do have a good craiglist... about 2- 3hrs away. :-(

Yah, for Christmas I got a laptop... so maybe birthday... but I have the $$... my Christmas money from my other family.

I have brought up paypal... said something about it one day, asked... it has been 4 months with no answers... I just brought it up tp my mother... no answer in 2 hrs.

I have told them countless times that Kiwi needs a good cage. He is a overactive bird than Sonnie. they say Kiwi has a bigger cage than Sonnie. I tell them that if Sonnie was my bird, he would be in a parrot cage right now. I like space for my animals. (my hedgie has a 60in x 30in cage) The recommended size is 3sq. ft.)

It is hard. I understand that they care and everything, but I can't find stuff in my area, and I tell them things that they could do to avoid issues on the internet on online shopping, but they never give me an answer to my comments or questions.

The only way I can purchase stuff on the internet is to pay by money order.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts