Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am beyond heart broken. He was only 2.5 years old and just yesterday he woke up puffed up.
I held him all night with the room heater on, but it was like he couldn't get warm.
He sipped a little warm water and had a small bite of sweet potato.
This morning he looked worse. Then he just passed.
His poops were normal and he was absolutely normal the day before.
I'm just so sad. I loved that little fiesty dinosaur.
I just can't believe it. 馃槳

Super Moderator
I am sorry to hear this. It is sad when our little bright ones leave us with their so brief lives. The live fierce and brightly and lighten us and give us joy by doing so. Feel free to discuss here as we do understand. Many of us have little ones that have passed on to the Rainbow Bridge. Also if you feel like it we have a section called the Rainbow Bridge where you can memorialize your little one with thoughts and pictures.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am sorry to hear this. It is sad when our little bright ones leave us with their so brief lives. The live fierce and brightly and lighten us and give us joy by doing so. Feel free to discuss here as we do understand. Many of us have little ones that have passed on to the Rainbow Bridge. Also if you feel like it we have a section called the Rainbow Bridge where you can memorialize your little one with thoughts and pictures.

I'm sick with grief. I can't stop crying. It doesn't seem real.

Registered
So sorry to hear this.
I'm sick with grief. I can't stop crying. It doesn't seem real.
Sorry To Hear About Your Beautiful Parrotlet Passing At Such An Early Age . Last Month My Male Green Pacific Parrotlet Passed Away , We Had Buddy For 14 Years .
Why Is It That Our Smallest Pets Take Up The Biggest Space In Our Hearts 馃挌

Mitch & Bullet

Registered
I am so sorry to hear about your loss! We never can understand why God takes a bird at such a young age. I know it is heartbreaking! I lost my last p'lett about 2 years ago and I still grieve for Ricochet! Your birdie is at the Rainbow Bridge right now, with all the other birds who have passed away! So sorry!

David and Vicki 馃 馃

Registered
I have been meaning to make an account. I saw this post and and it made me want to give my 2 cents:

I am so sorry for your loss. I know what you are going through and it hurts, it cuts very deep. I got my first little grey Parrotlet back in late January. My Parrotlet and I lived in a single apartment for all those months. Us against the world. I took him home to my parents place for the holidays and all it took was a window to get left open from 6-9pm in San Diego, CA (we were all stressing and running late for a wedding) for my little buddy to go into Hypothermic Shock. He was unresponsive the next morning. These birds are incredibly fragile. I am still not the same. I have a hard time looking at any old pictures. This happened just at the beggining of December so I feel your pain.

It gets easier though. Please don't blame yourself. Depending on where you got your little buddy, there is a lot of overly inbred birds out there. If you don't think he got a chill. It's possible he had some genetic issues going on. If you want another Parrotlet someday message me and I can give you the name of a breeder who doesnt do it for the money.

Regardless. What helped me was to talk to the breeder: he said...shit happens. You can't control everything and you can't control nature. If you really love birds, and pets in general. You have to go into this knowing that they may or may not live as long as you expected. You do the best you can, you love them while they are here with you, and if life takes another course from what you really wanted, well at least you did you tried.

I did everything right...except for the window that one night. Thats all it took. I have hated myself for this last month and its been rough. Not everyone is the same but what helped me was to get a new little buddy. I will never forget my last buddy but this new little guy, only 2 weeks later is already showing me affection and it helps. You may need more time. But if you can handle it. Giving your attention to another bird who will appreciate it is a good way to stop the negative thoughts from flooding in.

The Rainbow Bridge Poem comforting poem.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
T
I have been meaning to make an account. I saw this post and and it made me want to give my 2 cents:

I am so sorry for your loss. I know what you are going through and it hurts, it cuts very deep. I got my first little grey Parrotlet back in late January. My Parrotlet and I lived in a single apartment for all those months. Us against the world. I took him home to my parents place for the holidays and all it took was a window to get left open from 6-9pm in San Diego, CA (we were all stressing and running late for a wedding) for my little buddy to go into Hypothermic Shock. He was unresponsive the next morning. These birds are incredibly fragile. I am still not the same. I have a hard time looking at any old pictures. This happened just at the beggining of December so I feel your pain.

It gets easier though. Please don't blame yourself. Depending on where you got your little buddy, there is a lot of overly inbred birds out there. If you don't think he got a chill. It's possible he had some genetic issues going on. If you want another Parrotlet someday message me and I can give you the name of a breeder who doesnt do it for the money.

Regardless. What helped me was to talk to the breeder: he said...shit happens. You can't control everything and you can't control nature. If you really love birds, and pets in general. You have to go into this knowing that they may or may not live as long as you expected. You do the best you can, you love them while they are here with you, and if life takes another course from what you really wanted, well at least you did you tried.

I did everything right...except for the window that one night. Thats all it took. I have hated myself for this last month and its been rough. Not everyone is the same but what helped me was to get a new little buddy. I will never forget my last buddy but this new little guy, only 2 weeks later is already showing me affection and it helps. You may need more time. But if you can handle it. Giving your attention to another bird who will appreciate it is a good way to stop the negative thoughts from flooding in.

The Rainbow Bridge Poem comforting poem.
I write this through streaming tears. I haven't been able to eat or sleep. His death is affecting me greatly. I truly appreciate your effort to assist in my grief. I know you completely understand.
I have a huge hole in my heart left by such a small creature.
My daughter suggested I get another right away because his care was such a part of my daily life.
With your suggestion, I think I may do just that.
Thank you again for your compassion.
Thank all of you for your kind supportive words. It means so much to me.

Super Moderator
I have lost 2 parrotlets over the years. Getting another helps but the pain is still there. They are amazing little creatures that take a bit of your soul when they move on. I like to think it is so they can find us on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge. For how can it be a heaven if my little feathered ones are not with me into eternity.

Super Moderator
I'm so sorry. It is absolutely heartbreaking, and hard to process when it's so unexpected. We awoke one day to our perfect little one on the bottom of the cage, I still have a hard d time processing it.
RIP sweet little Albirdo 鉂

Registered
There is nothing I can offer that will dull your pain, and for that I鈥檓 a sorry. But know this, you and your bird had a wonderful relationship together. You provided all the love a birb could want I am sure, and you gave a special little birb that gift. This is a gift we as humans usually reserve for other humans, but these creatures seem to extract it from us effortlessly. I lost my Tobie several years ago, I am familiar with having ones guts ripped out and heart dropped kicked into a dumpster feelings. It took me several months to begin to heal and just about that time my phone rings with the breeder I got Tobie from, unsolicited btw. He had 2 brothers just born that he would make great deal on if I took both. I don鈥檛 care they are not show quality, like me. Needless to say I became daddy to 2 little peeps just like that. My type cancer is a full time job, and I have 2 new hires in the mental health aspect of relentless chemo. The point is, you take all the time you need to get over your loss. But, like it or not, GOD sometimes slams the door on you. Only to open 2 windows. Perhaps, you will be blessed to take in another birb and shower it will love, which would be great. Perhaps, you may decide the pain is too great to endure again, and that鈥檚 ok too. I hope you choose the first, there are many who would love to be loved.

Registered
In 4 days it will be a month since I lost my buddy. I was thinking about your post today as I was sort of feeling a bit down. One thing the breeder said (who says it hurts every time he loses a baby, but he loves what he does; breeding healthy and beautiful parrotlet mutations for others to enjoy): It may feel like the bird you had was extremely unique, and you think "how could I ever have another bird that made me feel this attached". These bird's character are largely a reflection of their owners. Parrots are mimickers, they are this way biologically because they have to integrate with their flock. The flock needs to act as one cohesive unit to survive. When they become pets for a human, they take on little bits of the personality of their Parent (alot like human children actually) and it largely has to do with many factors: How they are handled, how much time is spent with them daily, even down to the breeder you got them from makes a difference. The point is the next bird will be just as special and will be just as much fun to have around if you treat it the same way.

Registered
I lost my Huey suddenly a year ago
, he was fine at bedtime and gone in the morning when I uncovered his cage. Huey was very loud and I found the silence deafening. There was no one calling for me or talking to me (except hubby).

I considered getting a cockatiel but a turn of events lead me to my Sunshine. One thing to remember is no two birds are alike. I enjoy Sunshines company, he is a very quiet bird with a skittish sweet disposition, completely opposite of Huey. I am glad I didnt wait but it did take me a long time to stop calling Sunshine Huey lol.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You all have truly helped my suffering. I am taking it one day at a time. I feel like I want another but then it seems too much.
I'm going to take some time so the pain isn't so raw.
I cannot express enough gratitude for such a supportive community. It makes it better to know I'm not alone.
I look at his empty cage and know in my heart, I can give another a wonderful loving life.
I just need some time, I believe.
Thank you all so much. 馃挏

Registered
I鈥檝e had my Papi for 6 months and if I don鈥檛 hear him stirring in the morning my heart stops until I uncover his cage. I鈥檓 so sorry for your loss. There truly are no words I could give you beyond the others鈥ou don鈥檛 know what you are capable of overcoming until you do. I do know your heart is big enough to love another p鈥檒ett and if would be unfair to deprive another baby of your love.
There was a mention of chill in an earlier post so I thought I would share with you how I have tried to avoid it. I have a bird heater in both cages (daytime and nighttime) for Papi. Even air conditioning can be too much for the little ones so he always has a way to get warm if needed. At night his cage is covered and he sleeps on the perch close to his heater. I got them on Amazon (K&H brand)
My heart hurts for you and I鈥檓 so glad you shared your story here!
LOVE AND LIGHT!

Registered
I am beyond heart broken. He was only 2.5 years old and just yesterday he woke up puffed up.
I held him all night with the room heater on, but it was like he couldn't get warm.
He sipped a little warm water and had a small bite of sweet potato.
This morning he looked worse. Then he just passed.
His poops were normal and he was absolutely normal the day before.
I'm just so sad. I loved that little fiesty dinosaur.
I just can't believe it. 馃槳
I am so sorry. It is clear your little one was (and always will be) loved so much. Sending love and hugs to you. You are not alone. Everyone here on this forum understands. My he be in your heart and thoughts always. 馃槩

1 - 17 of 17 Posts