Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll preface this post with this: we found Scooter in the street (yes, in the street) about a month or so ago. So we know nothing of his life prior to us finding him.)

The first couple weeks we had him he was playful, trusting, engaging and calm. I would say these past two weeks he has been clicking his beak and ruffling his feathers every time I approach his cage and he tries to bite if I put my hand in his cage to have him step onto my finger. If he eventually gets on my finger, he only wants to be in his basket by the kitchen window. If I am holding him he will sort of crouch and he looks like he can’t wait to fly out of my hand. He also won’t try any other food that I am introducing to him. Fresh veggies, fruits, chop, egg, etc. He only wants to eat seed and millet. I stay consistent and get him out of his cage daily, talk to him and hold him but he is still very sassy and tries to bite. What am I doing wrong? What tips/advice do you have?

·
Registered
89 Posts
He is so cute 🥰

It's sounds to me like he's settled in with you really well. So much so that he's acting just like a typical Parrotlet.
Beak clicking is normally a sign of being content.
He sounds likes he's getting a bit territorial over his cage now though if he's biting you when you put your hand in. Lots of parrotlets do this. My previous bird was so bonded to me but there was plenty of times when he would try and bite me if I put my hand in his cage. It was always on his terms, sometimes he was fine about it, other times in he wasn't having it at all.
You're doing the right thing by letting him out and letting him go to his favourite spot.
Try the gentle beak technique with the biting, there's a thread on it somewhere on the forum. I don't know how to add a link to it. You can search it on YouTube too. As for eating veg, you can try only giving him seeds and millet when you're training with him and only keeping veg and fruit in his cage. Or you can chop it all up really small and add a few seeds in the veg so he eats the veg by accident when he's looking for the seeds.
I don't think you're doing anything wrong, you're just learning about eachother. They are funny little birds who have split personalities. Little t-rexs one day and then sweet little angels the next.
I'm by no means an expert and I'm sure other forum members will have some good ideas. I'm a little rusty after loosing my 5 year old parrotlet earlier this year, I'm starting all over again with a new bird.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Hi !~~~Scooter looks like he is about a year old or so. He looks like he weighs about 30 grams ( that's one ounce and one gram). You found him in the middle of the road and this, I believe, was simply a miracle! I think his car broke down and then you came along!:giggle:.

His biting is a sure sign of what I call, " Owning his territory ". He set up a line and you may not cross it without permission. It is their instinct to not trust hands.

I love his coloring! His markings are wonderfully arranged. A lot of people call the blue bird, " Blue ". Call him this and see if he responds in any way. I am curious.

David

·
Registered
I can't dive yet 0-0
57 Posts
He's going through puberty! (jk I don't think other animals have puberty... Lucky)
It's really nothing to worry about, he's just being a Parrotlet

·
Registered
37 Posts
What a beautiful boy. You sound like a good owner for him because you want what's best for him. What I've learnt is that it takes time to build that trust and he's taken to you quite well. I'm sure you'll continue to be a great bird parent :)

·
Super Moderator
4,742 Posts
You are making very good progress for a bird you found in the road about a month ago. It takes some time for a parrotlet to warm up to new environments and people. You can't really blame them since they are basically prey animals that almost everything on the planet wants to casually hurt or eat, and they know this all the way down in their instincts. Also you have to understand that they are fairly sentient individuals each with their own intellect (somewhere between 3-5 year old human) and distinct personality. You know you want to love them, but they are by nature a bit cautious and it will take a little time of them watching you for them figure that out and learn to trust and love you back.

Back to that intellect at the 3-5 year old level with a distinct personality stuff. All our birds are effectively flying toddlers with can openers on their face. They use their beak like a hand and it will take a bit of training to get them to understand not to bite you too hard. You will always get bitten. But the key is to get them to give informational bites to communicate and navigational bites as they climb around but not the hard bites that show they are scared / made / frustrated. You guys will figure it out in time.

·
Registered
513 Posts
You are making very good progress for a bird you found in the road about a month ago. It takes some time for a parrotlet to warm up to new environments and people. You can't really blame them since they are basically prey animals that almost everything on the planet wants to casually hurt or eat, and they know this all the way down in their instincts. Also you have to understand that they are fairly sentient individuals each with their own intellect (somewhere between 3-5 year old human) and distinct personality. You know you want to love them, but they are by nature a bit cautious and it will take a little time of them watching you for them figure that out and learn to trust and love you back.

Back to that intellect at the 3-5 year old level with a distinct personality stuff. All our birds are effectively flying toddlers with can openers on their face. They use their beak like a hand and it will take a bit of training to get them to understand not to bite you too hard. You will always get bitten. But the key is to get them to give informational bites to communicate and navigational bites as they climb around but not the hard bites that show they are scared / made / frustrated. You guys will figure it out in time.
My post disappeared from this subject. ☹

·
Super Moderator
5,100 Posts
My post disappeared from this subject. ☹
That's weird. I have not heard of that happening without leaving a trace, and I can't see any trace of a post by you on this subject. Is it possible that it didn't actually complete posting? At least in moderator view, all posts leave a mark, even if they are deleted. I can't see that the system tagged you either (it does that sometimes for reasons I don't really understand). It wasn't deleted by one of us, I promise!!! Some computer did something that I can't see. :(

·
Super Moderator
4,742 Posts
That's weird. I have not heard of that happening without leaving a trace, and I can't see any trace of a post by you on this subject. Is it possible that it didn't actually complete posting? At least in moderator view, all posts leave a mark, even if they are deleted. I can't see that the system tagged you either (it does that sometimes for reasons I don't really understand). It wasn't deleted by one of us, I promise!!! Some computer did something that I can't see. :(
Agreed. we moderators normally notify each other and the offender when we moderate.

Give that there was a small outage during this time period so maybe it got ate then.

·
Registered
26 Posts
He’s darling. I read others answers, so apologize ahead of time if I repeat.
I just got mine a month ago too. A couple things to consider:
1. Is he molting maybe? Mine is. Big personality change. During such a “biting” phase I make sure to always, always, always have something he CAN chew in my hand, so that it’s not me.for example a piece of wood, pinecone, paper…anything to use his “can opener” on an appropriate item, instead of me. Serves two purposes: a. It saves me from certain destruction b. It files his beak. Win-win!
2. Maybe he misses his old “mate” - bonded human and is still adjusting? I’m sure he REALLY likes you, so not insinuate anything, other than maybe he’s just a little sad, and adjusting, just like we would be?
3. I’ve read that leaving them to their own devices (cages) for even a day or two they will revert to wild and need to be tamed down. Move very very very slowly.
4.I left cage door open always, so he could come and go on his own terms. (Just me, so I was able to keep close track constantly). Worked like a charm. He didn’t see me as a predator.Always asks to come out now.
5. Gentle Beak WORKS. Give him little treats (a pellet, a millet seed, whatever he likes) at random times when he’s with you. I kept my hand IN his food bowl while eating. So he associates my hand with good.
6.Routine. Same. Thing. Day in. Day out. They trust that.
7.Calm music.Settles them right down like a toddler.
8.Short doses. I noticed my lil guy is good for about an hour out of cage, then he needs an hour rest. Another hour, then a long afternoon rest,
9. Slow and steady wins the race. Don’t get frustrated. They know. Oh…mine HATES my iPhone. It means attention is off him. 🤣🤣🤣
10. You’re awesome for taking him in! I don’t know if I’m allowed to say this…I apologize if not, but Bonka Birds toys are AWESOME!!!!!!!! The ONLY toys mine will play with. The Balsa and Sola wood toys are GREAT for destructive parrotlets!
One thing to consider…your pic is darling! Only thing, I am wondering if he sees it as a nest and is getting hormonal?Just a thought. So cute though!!!!!
Good luck!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts