Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow bird lovers. I am deeply upset right now. My family and I recently got us a pair of parrotlets last summer (around June-July 2016). When we got them, they were about 7 weeks old already so they were born at approx. April2016

So fast forward into the future, my blue Pacific started flirting with my green and things happened. The hen got pregnant and she laid eggs. She laid a total of 5 eggs. Now, my parents and I made our own nest for them. We didnt get those breeding boxes they sell in pet stores. We used an old kitchen strainer that was decently big and tied it at the top of their cage (we also added bedding of course) Their cage is pretty big and deep so we thought it would be fine to keep their breeding nest in the cage. We kept the top of the cage covered at all times. We peek from time to time to see how Cheeky (the girl) is doing while she was brooding.

21+ days later of brooding, we found two hatched youngs at the bottom of the cage dead. We dont know if they threw them off the nest or they fell. Since there was a total of 5.. we now have 3 left. Well, i checked today and one egg was tossed again to the bottom of the cage while the two disappeared.

We dont know what to do now.. we are new parrotlet owners and this is our first time breading birds too. Please help us. Is this a normal behavior for our birds? Can someone please explain? this is pretty terrifying for our family. Has this ever happened to you?

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Hello! I'm sorry to hear that this has happened. If you are trying to breed parrotlets you may want to take time to study about how they are bred and what's needed for success, and consider acquiring things needed, such as a proper nesting box for parrotlets. There are actually many things to learn and consider in breeding birds from one kind to another, and as it is, from what you've said, your birds and very young and with many it takes them time to mature to be successful parents. So I'd suggest studying what successful breeders have done and following suit. If you look at the sticky "resources for new breeders" in the breeding forum there are some good books that are recommended there, perhaps they might be of some help to you and your family in the future.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Hello.

There's a lot I would like to say, but it seems that you need to educate yourselves a little more. There is nothing that you can be blamed for, but if you are worried about putting out money for this and that, then try not to raise babies. What if all eggs hatched and then the parents abandoned them? Would you be ready for that? Without constant watch, they would parish.

Malachi is right on with the response given.
Think of this question...What supplies do I need to help my p'letts have babies? They need to shred things for the nest. You need a different kind of food for egg laying birds. There are many things to consider. Look at the left side of the monitor--you will see Parrotlet Breeding. This is a good start.

You have a good heart, so do the best for your birds. Mating pairs need your help and understanding.;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts