Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My little blue bean Maisie, who turned 3 this past August, began laying eggs for the first time in May. She is my only parrotlet, so her eggs are unfertilized. She would lay an egg or two, we'd remove it (as she didn't appear interested in them initially), then she would in due time lay another one. Finally we figured out that she wouldn't stop laying until we let her keep one, so that's what we did. Then she laid one more, so now has two. We provided her with a box to nest in, and there she has been diligently attending to these unfertilized eggs for over a month. (I've since learned that my vet could have given her a hormone shot to interrupt the laying, and that there are other steps I should take in this situation to prevent laying, such as re-arranging her cage, etc.)

Lately she seems to be coming out more frequently, and hanging out with us for a little longer before going back to the nest, but she's still in there most of the time. It breaks my heart to see her so persistently attending to these eggs that will never hatch. She would make the best bird mommy ever!

I will be taking her in to see my vet soon to find out what she recommends, but am wondering if anyone else has ever had a parrot who will just not give up on her eggs like this? What did you do? Also, it seems a waste of the great mothering instinct in her to have her tending so long and so carefully to these duds. This may sound nuts, but if anyone in the Metro-Boston area has a parrotlet who has laid fertilized eggs but does not want them (i.e., the bird is rejecting them), I've got a great caretaker here who seems to really want baby birdies--and I'm willing to put the time and energy in to learn how to raise babies as well of course.

Any advice or offers much appreciated--feel free to PM me. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
I had a female canary that did that---I removed the eggs and put in "duds". She was very upset when she realized those eggs weren't hatching!
Now I have a male parrotlet---but best of luck to you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. :)

Interestingly, my vet actually advised me not to add supplements to Maisie's water, because sometimes parrots don't want to drink water with stuff in it, and if the bird isn't drinking its water and you don't realize, it could get dehydrated. Nonetheless, before I had received this advice, I bought some Calci-Lux, put it in her water, and she drank it without even seeming to notice anything different about it.

I also put a couple eggshells (chicken eggshells) by her food, and she nibbles on those periodically. So I hope I've got her calcium supplementation covered.

I do think she's gradually growing bored with the eggs and missing her old life (we miss her too!), as she's staying out longer during the "food, water, and poop" breaks she takes. However, she keeps going back to the eggs eventually.

Oh well--I'll see what my vet recommends when I bring her in.

·
Super Moderator
4,909 Posts
My cockatiel used to lay eggs, but fortunately she never wanted to be a mommy. The vet once gave her calcium supplements to be given in a syringe when she laid five in a row for me, and I also would give her extra leafy greens. Hopefully messing with her cage and maybe even moving it temporarily or putting a scary lamp or orange fuzzy sweater or something will make her less nesty. Ruby loved boxes, but the second she used to get aggressive while in them I would take away all boxes for at least a month. Ruby loved change with her cage, so that never stopped her (she laid an egg after we MOVED to a new home for the first time in her life, the crazy girl), but I know it helps many birdies stop. Mostly, though, I think you have to wait it out and just focus on proper nutrition. Good luck at the vet!

·
Registered
517 Posts
I advise giving her hard-boiled eggs. It gives them back some of the lost nutrients from laying eggs. I have a finch who has been laying eggs practically her whole life. (She had two clutches of babies but a few years ago the father died :c ) She is still laying eggs and I think that she would be a lot less healthy if she didn't get the eggs. Just a suggestion until you take her to the vet! (They really love hard-boiled eggs so if she's anything like my parrotlets or finches it won't be much trouble getting her to eat them)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! Maisie loves hard boiled eggs, particularly the yolks. I'm happy to hear they are so healthy and replenishing.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
My female budgie is the same way, only she is in a cage with a male she doesn't want as her chicky-daddy. I've seen her hold her wing out to stop him from trying to mate. She still lays eggs, and they don't hatch.

Extra calcium and protein are good. Hopefully, your little girl will get bored with the eggs soon, and you can take the box away.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
Liquid calicum is better than the average water supplement. It is flavorless and has a high absorption rate into the body when drank in the water. Additionally, if she seems to be straining, in an emergency situation, it can be given at one drop directly to the beak to help her pass the egg. Calcium also strengthens the muscles that push the egg out, not just the egg shell.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Liquid calicum is better than the average water supplement. It is flavorless and has a high absorption rate into the body when drank in the water. Additionally, if she seems to be straining, in an emergency situation, it can be given at one drop directly to the beak to help her pass the egg. Calcium also strengthens the muscles that push the egg out, not just the egg shell.
This is great to know, thank you! :)

Unbelievably, I think Maisie's got another bun in the oven--I've been suspicious that she's looking to lay more eggs (she did a mating dance the other day), and today I felt her "egg-bump spot" and felt a swelling that feels like an egg that is in its formative stages. *Sigh* So I need to start giving her extra calcium again, in addition to her eggshell nibbles. So glad my appt with the vet is this Friday!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Honestly - I get such chuckles from these posts - a budgie who holds out her wing out to stop the male she does not want as her 'chicky-daddy' from mating! Hysterical!

As for Maisie - bless her sweet heart wanting to be a mommy like that. Tsk. So sweet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts