Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago my new parrotlet began climbing down my arm and trying to share my meals. Though I try to ensure he's only eating good wholesome parrot type servings from my plate (mainly fruits and veggies) he will occasionally get a piece of meat. So far he's tried chicken (baked), hamburger and pork sausage. On one occasion, I was eating a fried chicken sandwich. Though I pulled out some lettuce and pickle for him, at one point he got a taste of the fried chicken and would eat nothing else. He loved it (though I quickly shut down the feeding frenzy).

I've been trying to find some info on the subject - specifically for parrotlets. Generally I've found that parrots shouldn't be fed meat regularly (too much fat), but occasionally it's okay, so long as it's prepared properly (baked vs. fried), and that the additional protein is actually good for them.

I have a parrotlet book that makes no mention of meat eating, pro or con. Any additional info would be helpful.

Thanks.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Animal proteins are ok in moderation from what I understand. My parrotlet really enjoyed a bit of turkey during Thanksgiving. Although in the wild parrots would really only have access to eggs and bugs for the most part for animal proteins. I generally only give my birds scrambled egg. If you give him meats, I would try to stick with poultry or fish. I can't imagine red meat is really all that good for them. I don't give my birds meat mostly because I can't help but think of the way the majority of livestock is raised and fed.

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
Protein is good for them especially when molting or breeding. Most members feed eggs on a regular basis for their birds but protien is good in any form most p'lets love chicken. Baby loved shrimp.

·
Registered
247 Posts
All my birds parrotlets , cockatiels and Budgie..
All like a taste of chicken, turkey, porridge..
curry ice cream, egg, bacon and lots more.. its only a taste..
Today they had for a treat Special K with no added
sugar they loved it...
I recon its good for them to taste other foods..
they still get all the seeds and veggies etc..

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
When I go to the Chinese take out and get chicken with broccoli, Timmy goes nuts. I give him the parts that aren't covered in sauce. Three things he loves in one dish; chicken, broccoli, and rice. Of course, rice flies everywhere and I find dried up bits of it days later.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
My guys like chicken. They haven't had any other meat.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Our birds like chicken and will really go after a little piece of steak or hamburger, especially our p'let. We don't eat that that often, though....

Pixie (p'let) has also gone after ants and little flying gnats or something she's seen, and we've seen her catch a gnat and eat it!

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Yup, Jinx loved it, but my vet told me to limit it to once weekly at most. I haven't tried it with my current p'lets though because they get their protein mostly through the beans in the mash that I make.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts