TalkParrotlets.com banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, just looking for some advice. Moon has been with us for 6 days now and seems extremely gentle.

Moons definitely settling in slowly. He no longer growls or squawks when flying.

Yesterday Moon spent an hour in a different room than hes used to for some training ( stepping up on my hand ) and allowed me to touch his beak, played with marbles and sat on me and the kids shoulders for a short while. ( i took the cage away )

I did read another post, and i think i may be doing things backwards. I believe its best to get Moon accustom to my hand in his cage and apply stepping up that way?

Because when i bring Moon back to his cage hes behaviour changes slightly.
He backs up from my hand.

Shall i go back to basics?

Also Moon only tends to eat millet when we train, is this out of nervousness?

I know everything is so new for Moon and i don't want to apply to much pressure on him at all.

And advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. X

·
Super Moderator
4,873 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Each bird is an individual, and it is best to treat them as such. Many parrotlets are slow to leave the cage initially. However, a small number are happiest with humans right away. Tumi wasn't happy in his cage, and took convincing when he was young to stay in the cage, but wanted to spend every minute on humans instead.

Is Moon your first parrot? It is helpful to follow the lead of the bird, but there is a learning curve for understanding their body language.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I actually think that your current approach with Moon that you used successfully with Moon yesterday is a good one for training. I would still work on having Moon step up in the cage, but many birds are very territorial of their cage due to their nature. Since you have only had Moon for 6 days (which is not very long), it is important to remember to have patience and allow time for training.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Each bird is an individual, and it is best to treat them as such. Many parrotlets are slow to leave the cage initially. However, a small number are happiest with humans right away. Tumi wasn't happy in his cage, and took convincing when he was young to stay in the cage, but wanted to spend every minute on humans instead.

Is Moon your first parrot? It is helpful to follow the lead of the bird, but there is a learning curve for understanding their body language.

Thank you!
Yes Moon is my 1st bird! I've got tonnes to learn. He was a surprise from my partner for valentines, so never had any prior knowledge, but any chance i get I'm researching, i want him to have good quality of life. So glad i found this forum, top quality info and advice!
Many thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I actually think that your current approach with Moon that you used successfully with Moon yesterday is a good one for training. I would still work on having Moon step up in the cage, but many birds are very territorial of their cage due to their nature. Since you have only had Moon for 6 days (which is not very long), it is important to remember to have patience and allow time for training.

Thank you for your reply!

Sure, what worked successfully for you with training to step up? I plan to just chill out with moon talk to him, sing and carefully place my hand with some millet around the cage.

Or is that a little forceful? I read you need to get them out their comfort zone sometimes. Moon will allow me to touch him in his cage once hes a little fluffed up and slowly blinking. He also responds when i speak sometimes, tilting his head and purring.

Regardless I've grassed the main thing is to have patience!!! and respect boundaries.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum! Nice to have you and Moon with us! :)

I do not know if you are doing this already, but when interacting with Moon - like when you are hand feeding him, giving scritches and doing any type of training like stepping up - I would suggest that you get him used to both your right and your left hands.

Being right-handed, I made the mistake of only using my right hand mostly to interact with Cleopatra when she was a baby. By not regularly using both of my hands with her, it caused her to accept only my right hand and see my left as something unfamiliar and bad. :eek: It got to a point that if I put my left hand anywhere near her, she would turn into a little green monster and aggressively attack it like it was something trying to get her. She hated it and saw it as something completely differently than my right. It took me some time to get her used to my left, but now I can use both hands around her, and she is fine. It made me realize that birds are creatures of habit, and they can get used to doing things only one way. So, just in case Moon is like my bird, you may want to try get him to accustomed to both your hands. ;)

Don't worry, you will do fine with Moon. Parrotlets can be challenging at times, but they are amazing little birds. There is a lot of information on here to help you, and of course if you have any more questions, just ask, we will be glad to try and help you. :)

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You are doing well, so far! You will also find that a parrotlet can be a difficult bird at times. A lot of p'letts do not care for your hands to go into their cage. Not at first, anyway. Their cage is a safe area for them. But, I have always trained my birds to step up inside of their cages. This way, I found out that when you let them out of their cage, you can approach them and have them step up so you can return them to the cage when needed.

It all depends on the bird. I never had trouble with any bird learning to step up in their cage as long as I took my time and had patience. You mentioned that you need to have patience and this is the key.

Another suggestion is to make sure things are quiet around you and Moon while you are training him. Keep noise levels down and canstantly talk to your sweetie as you train. Get him to know his name by saying it many times to him. It sounds like you are doing fine! Keep up the good work!

Parrotlets are wonderful.

David and Vicki;):rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello and welcome to the forum! Nice to have you and Moon with us!

I do not know if you are doing this already, but when interacting with Moon - like when you are hand feeding him and doing any type of training like stepping up - I would suggest that you get him used to both your right and your left hands.

Being right-handed, I made the mistake of only using my right hand and not my left to interact with Cleopatra when she was a baby. By not regularly using both of both hands with her, it caused her to accept only my right hand and see my left as something unfamiliar and bad.
It got to a point that if I put my left hand anywhere near her, she would turn into a little a little green monster and aggressively attack it like it was something trying to get her. She hated it and saw it as something completely differently than my right. It took me some time to get her used to my left, but now I can use both hands around her, and she is fine. It made me realize that birds are creatures of habit, and they can get used to doing things only one way. So, just in case Moon is like my bird, you may want to try get him to accustomed to both your hands.

Don't worry, you will do fine with Moon. Parrotlets can be challenging at times, but they are amazing little birds. There is a lot of information on here to help you, and of course if you have any more questions, just ask, we will be glad to try and help you.
Hi Anya,

Thanks so much for your reply!

Reading this made me giggle, and wasn't something i had thought about. Really shows just how clever they are. I will put this into practice.

Thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the forum! You are doing well, so far! You will also find that a parrotlet can be a difficult bird at times. A lot of p'letts do not care for your hands to go into their cage. Not at first, anyway. Their cage is a safe area for them. But, I have always trained my birds to step up inside of their cages. This way, I found out that when you let them out of their cage, you can approach them and have them step up so you can return them to the cage when needed.

It all depends on the bird. I never had trouble with any bird learning to step up in their cage as long as I took my time and had patience. You mentioned that you need to have patience and this is the key.

Another suggestion is to make sure things are quiet around you and Moon while you are training him. Keep noise levels down and canstantly talk to your sweetie as you train. Get him to know his name by saying it many times to him. It sounds like you are doing fine! Keep up the good work!

Parrotlets are wonderful.

David and Vicki

Thanks for your response!

I'll keep you all updated of how me and Moon get on.

Many thanks
Jas

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi again everyone, i thought id let you all know how me and moon are getting on.

Moon seems happy, plays with cage toys now and again, especially coming up to out of cage time. He Chirps after flights, and chatters after meals. I saw him take a bath! The other day he bobbed his head after eating and lifted his left leg, waving it around and was making this peculiar sound I've never heard before?

I've also witnessed Moon pulling his wings back slightly ( almost like a human bringing their shoulders back and flexing the shoulder blades ) when I'm near and pacing around a little.

Its now been 2 weeks since Moon has joined us. Moon is still adjusting still skeptical and cautious which actually makes me love him more. He sits on his favourite shelf each day relaxing and flys around moderately. He will fly to his cage when i say breakfast after I've walked away.

Still a little shaky when it comes to Moons territory i.e cage, but improving everyday. What i tend to do is allow Moon to calm down after letting him out for about 15 mins then start training.

Moon isnt interested in milliet, what other healthy treats would you all recommend?

Moon was a gift ( surprise) so i don't know much about his life before hand.

TIA

·
Registered
14 Posts
Some treats that are different than millet are hemp seeds, almond slivers, chia seeds, pine nuts, and Nutriberries. You can use any food that your parrotlet really likes.

·
Super Moderator
4,406 Posts
For Jules walnuts were the treat of choice, for bo it was sun flower seeds.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts