Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love some help. My family had a 9 month old green cheek conure named shadow. Last week we realized he was limping and couldn’t stand that well so we immediately took him to our normal vet. That day she said looks like he has a strain or sore and gave him an inflammatory medicine and sent us away. We gave him the medicine exactly as described over that weekend and he was always cuddle with someone alllllll day long. Then Monday we noticed nothing changed so we took him back. Then said we need an X-ray cause he should’ve been better by now. X-ray came back as a dislocated hip and the doctor said it’s very tricky to repair and rare so she needed a couple days to talk to the community for help. This Saturday 11/12/22 she called and aid she found two surgery options that she can do to help shadow be in a lot less pain. She was waiting on the Main doctor to come in today to help her decide which one to choose. But she said come in and I’ll prescribe ANOTHER pain medicine that will help his nerves. We went immediately again and picked that medicine up. They said you can give him both and my sister is a nurse so we followed the dosing instructions to the T. We gave it to him at 1 PM that day and alll day he was in my lap and with me as we didn’t want him to walk around. He went to bed and that next morning we woke up to him passed in his carrier cage. Either one hat was a huge coincidence or the new medicine was way too strong. What should we do we are distraught and my mom especially is not handling it well as he was with her 24/7 . Do they at least owe us a refund for the amount of visits and medicine or at least the cost to replace shadow.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Extra info.
not once did they mention he could die or that he was in so much pain that he could die and shadow was still eating everyday and acting normal. Nothing alarming is that he would just pass like that.It all happened after that second medicine was prescribed. Because he was on his first medicine for a whole week exactly and nothing like this happened. It was only after the FIRST DOSE of the new medicine.

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
I am sorry you lost your bird. It is always hard when one of these fluffy sparks of life pass. They take a bit of us, our heart, our soul with them. I have lost several birds and understand the pain of it and the emotions of it. You truly have my sympathy. You will go through a stage where you blame others and blame yourself for what happened. That is just part of it.
I doubt you will get anything from the vet. The truth is that your bird did something, hit something hard enough to break him. He died of the complication of that incident. You, your family and the vet did everything they could to help Shadow. It just was not enough. At least he died being loved and treated the best he could be.
I am not sure how much you are into birds yet but they are very delicate. Many of their bones are hollow and are part of their respiratory system. The chance that a vet would have been able to do surgery to fix him was low and if did most likely would caused further difficulties if he survived the operation. Knocking any bird out for an operation is a very risky thing, the smaller they are the harder it is. These are the risks of bird ownership and the heart break of them. I hope you take a bit of time to grieve and maybe find another feathered friend.

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
Hello and thank you for reaching out to us. I am so very sorry to hear your tragic news. You obviously loved your bird very much and he definitely loved you as well, sitting in your lap all day. That’s very beautiful.

As terribly difficult as it is, I have to agree with Ozzie. Birds are incredibly fragile and there are many ways they can be injured in a human environment. They are incredibly good at hiding illness and injury as well, a survival instinct the wild. Regular vets do not typically have the expertise to manage avian issues so I am sure the vet you saw (assuming it was not an avian vet) did the best she could in the circumstances. Surgery would have been an incredibly risky option, no doubt, and if he had survived it, there would still be no guarantee he would be pain-free. Unfortunately, no treatment - even pain medication - is without risk. Science just cannot accommodate the vast number of individual variables.

I was a little surprised when you said you were able to give both pain meds, but I have no expertise in avian medicine. There is nothing wrong with speaking to the vet about it if you feel concerned. In my humble opinion, your precious little bird was at significant risk when such a serious injury occurred. The prognosis was already not good. The vet sounds inexperienced but in seeking advice, sounds like she did her best. In the circumstances, she may be open to refunding you some money but unlikely all. I think the bigger issue is your peace of mind and if you feel that you have some unanswered questions, then there is no harm in having a discussion. Just try to do it when you’re less emotional. We don’t always have the best discussions when we are In shock and dealing with powerful emotions.

My heart goes out to you and your family. You sound like lovely, kind people and we sure need more people like you in the world.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts