Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Cute pics.

Do you show your dogs? Or perhaps the parents are health certified against luxating patellas and other breed genetic problems?

I ask because my own Chi came from a backyard breeder and she has grade II luxating patellas.. if it gets any worse, she may need surgery to fix her legs. But had I known and did more research earlier, I wouldn't have purchased from a backyard breeder and wouldn't be in this position today :(

·
Registered
38 Posts
Nick
The puppies are adorable!!
Linda

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
nick you are breeding dogs and have no knowledge of the hereditary issues the breed is susceptible to? Since you've never heard of Luxating Patellas I can assume you didn't have the Sire and Dam checked before allowing them to breed. There are a number of other hereditary issues Chihuahua's are susceptible to - the Sire and Dam should both be given a clean bill of health before producing offspring.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My mother is the dog breeder. Nina (my chi) used to be their dog. She gave her to me a few years ago, and I decided I wanted her to breed, so my mom can sell them. She is the one in charge. She's the breeder not me.
So thank you for your input/concern but it's not necessary, and i'd appreciate it if I can just show my pictures in peace.

By the way, all of her dogs are health certified/guaranteed and registered through AKC.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Both of my Chihuahuas were bought from a backyard breeder (before we knew better) and they have major health problems. Our female has a slight heart murmur, enlarged heart, and terrible allergies. She will be on allergy shots for the rest of her life. Our male had a tumor removed when he was only 2 years old, has an elongated soft palate, and also has luxating patellas in both of his rear legs. I would never again buy from a breeder that doesn't do genetic health testing on the parents.

We now volunteer for rescue. It's horrible how many dogs end up at shelters....and quite a number of them are purebred!

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Pugswf--Yea, that's horrible. My mother's dogs are all health certified/tested. She and I have seen many "backyard breeders" and know many stories such as yours.

Sally, no they don't have to be bred more than once. But Nina has good quality puppies, and I was thinking of maybe keeping one to keep the family line going. Because Nina is my pet, and Chloe is her daughter. So I just love this line of dogs.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The way my mother has it set up, is they can breed if they want. They don't have to. If the male tries to, but the female doesn't want to, and fights, runs away, they are separated.

I totally agree with you Sally. But my mom is a dog breeder. But at least the dogs have the free will, and are protected if they don't want to breed.
;);)

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Chloe, my other Chihuahah had her puppies at about 4 am this morning. There are four. 3 boys. I didn't get to take pictures, because I was in such a rush to get out of there, and get home.

So i'm home now, and I will have my mom send me pictures and I will post them!:D:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts