Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, yesterday the oldest 3 chicks were sitting on me (their favorite play gym) and they were flapping like they do (fanning me nicely) and one just took off, and 2 more followed... I'm so proud! They circled the room and landed back on me... thankful for that!!! I was expecting just a little jump flying, but they fly very well!! So my little ones are growing up. The oldest 2 are also starting to refuse formula, but I keep offering it. They are eating millet, brown rice, veggies and pellets, and petamine. They are still sweet, and spend lots of time with me. I'm hoping to place them in pairs, so they will always have a buddy!
Mya and Plato are back to mating 6 times a day :eek: but this time I won't give them a nest box.
I had all the birds out for playtime yesterday, and Plato went after Aristotle (the male baby).. I was hoping they could get along, but realized I can't keep them out of their cages at the same time. Mya and Plato get more time on the balcony with the free full spectrum lighting..ya, called the sun...lol.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
YEAHHH – :D :D Angel that’s amazing – your updates always amaze me as the birds are growing up so quickly – Its unbelievable they are flying already and to hear how well they did on their first flight – WOW you would think they would be clumsy and crashing into things. Congratulations!

I read an article that said the father bird will indeed attack his male offspring to drive them off – they will sometimes even attack the older of the male chicks while they are still in the nest and it recommends to remove the male bird and allow the female to continue raising the clutch alone if any of this is noted.

In the same article it said that if the nest box is disturbed too often the pair may abandon it – (I don’t know if this applies to Plato and Mya but its worth looking into if you plan on breeding them again)

I’ll have to check your photo bucket for pics.

Congratulations again! ;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
They are just beautiful babies! I haven't looked at your photos in a long time - the last time I checked they barely had feathers!!! I'm amazed at how well the flew! Congratulations.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! They just change overnight!! What fun.
Yes, Pado, I read that too about the male attacking his offspring. I guess I thought Plato would be different.. he is sooo mellow. I am wondering how the male babies manage to survive in the wild....?? Makes me wonder!
I did check the nest twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. They didn't seem upset about it... but that could have been the cause.. who knows?
I don't plan on breeding them again, although they are mating and sleeping under their food dish...uuggh. They have a new cage and everything... so I thought this would stop. I am hoping she doesn't lay eggs, at least not this soon after having babies...

·
Registered
49 Posts
i am glad yours are going well !!!!!!!! sorry i haven't been on but with hand rearing two baby parrotlet's and two kak's been busy

Parrotlet's have left for there new home now heart breaking.

I have had a problem with two of my male parrotlets turns out they had a calcium defincy so be careful of this even if you are providing cuttlefish bone be very careful my two nearly died thank god they didn't :(:(

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Yikes – keep us posted on if they decide to use under the food dish as a new nest – it will give us something to watch out for.

When I had canaries they had one clutch after another – three clutches in all – after the third I separated them – When I gave the entire family, 11 babies and the parents to a indoor/outdoor aviary (I kept one I hand raised :) – One of the workers at the Aviary told me that in the wild the competition for food, space etc play a roll in them not over breeding as they tend to do in captivity.

I’d assume the male Parrotlet attacking his male offspring in the nest could be a product of them being in captivity – but who knows for sure :confused: – I could see it happening in the wild once the chicks have fledged as a way to drive off competition – like male lions and other male mammals do to their offspring.

So I’m sure in Plato’s case it was just that darn natural instinct taking over – he just couldn’t help it :D

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Angel - I just viewed your Webshots - they are again, amazing. It’s really nice to see the chick’s video and pics. They look great, healthy and happy. You've done a great job taking care of them.

Thanks for sharing this experience with us :cool:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Pado and Musicjan!
I think they are happy little fids, too! They will come fly to me when called, which I find totally amazing. They love hanging on me, all 4... and then they fly away and come back!
I am hoping they don't nest under there.. today I rearranged the cage, yet again!
Amber,
so sorry to hear about your males with calcium deficiency. How did you know?
I can't believe your babies are in their new homes ... wow, that was fast! Were they male? Female? Colors? Sorry I missed their growing up!
I am still trying to feed all my formula, but only the youngest (who still isn't flying) will eat it. She has cut out her mid day feeding, so It won't be long... sniff sniff.. then I will be an empty nester... lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
they were both females normal green there names now are penny and mai
only recently left beginning of this week in fact ,

The males collapsed couldn't unclench there claws nearly died luckily they are ok now but i had to feed and water them by hand

1 - 9 of 9 Posts