Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a seed I can get a parakeet (Phoenix) and my parrotlet Sweetpea. Any suggestions? They both eat Higgins but different bird types... I am trying to be more cost efficient and get one big bag I could feed both.

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
I don't think you will find something that would work, as parrotlets shouldn't eat parakeet mixes (they need different seeds) and I assume that parakeets shouldn't eat parrot mixes. The only thing I can think of is if you switch them both to pellets, and then I think it would be the same pellets, but even them I'm not sure. Sorry, but you will just have to have two different bags of seed. You can keep seeds in the freezer to keep them good for longer, if that helps.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Wheezy~~~ Parakeets ( Budgies) are totally different from the parrot species! In parrotlet seed mixes, there is not nearly enough canary type ( small,potent seeds) to adequately keep Phoenix healthy for long. Google " Budgie seed mixes/your city name" and you will get a list of seed mixes for Phoenix. A pound of seed mix for your budgie is very inexpensive and will last a long time! I raised budgies for over 55 years and fed them on a multitude of seed mixes over the years. Kaytee products are good for budgies, as long as you do not get any seeds that are dyed with many colors. You live in the Carolina's area, so Walmart is a place I would check out. ( But check out Google!). I used to buy Hartz Mountain seed mixes for parakeets, but I do not know if they are still around. My first parakeet, Dickie Bird, lived 17 years eating Hartz Mountain seeds.
There are many name brands of budgie/parakeet foods out there. Check out the prices.

Are you keeping Phoenix in a different cage than Sweetpea? ( I think this is your p'letts name, if I remember).

David

·
Super Moderator
6,601 Posts
I have parrotlet and Bourke parakeets although my parakeets are different then budgies... I feed both of them the same blend of seed mix The majority of the mix is lefabers nutriberries for cockatiel size. Honestly the cockatiel size and the parakeet are almost identical. I mixed with that a bit of volkman's parrotlet seed which is not a great mix, but it's all right in very small amount to add It's mostly safflower seed, I also add additional oat groats because all of my birds love those, in addition to a small amount of parakeet seed however my parrotlet and even sometimes my parakeet don't eat them because they're just too small. I'm not sure how entirely helpful that is, but you can definitely feed them both the nutriberries plus they will eat the same fresh foods or birdy chop if you make it for them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, neither of my birds like nutriberries... I give them both Higgins but of course parakeet for Phoenix and Conure or Cockatiel (can't remember) for Sweetpea. They are in separate rooms, Phoenix is interested in Sweetpea, but she will have nothing to do with him/her (too young to tell gender yet). So they just chat through the house. Sweetpea won't eat pellets anymore either.. Sigh.

·
Super Moderator
6,601 Posts
So, neither of my birds like nutriberries... I give them both Higgins but of course parakeet for Phoenix and Conure or Cockatiel (can't remember) for Sweetpea. They are in separate rooms, Phoenix is interested in Sweetpea, but she will have nothing to do with him/her (too young to tell gender yet). So they just chat through the house. Sweetpea won't eat pellets anymore either.. Sigh.
What?!! That's so weird!! It's basically just seed. Have you tried busting up the nuggets because I have to do that.

I feel good about nutriberries because I don't use pellets and I know they still have the vitamins fortified in there for them, it's hard to get my birds to eat enough fresh food and I don't always have time to give them as much as I should.

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
Have you tried different flavored nutriberries? Mine dislike the garden version but the fruit and peppers versions play well.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've tried the salsa and the berry. They love goldenfeast. Sweetpea doesn't eat much seed. She picks through, which the Higgins has way too many sunflower seeds to me... She liked the Volkmans soak feed too.

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
Tumi's favorite seed is Higgin's Safflower Gold, which has no sunflower seeds in it. He likes the buckwheat and the grains the most, and that mix has a good amount. He hated the Volkman Parrotlet mix (I think he thought how dare a company decide what he should eat and threw most of it to the ground). Tumi likes all nutriberries, particularly the normal ones in cockatiel size. We buy the big tub for those.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts