Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oliver had just begun moulting when I got him in January and is still at it. He is scratching, etc., a lot. In the past two days, he has pulled out two wing feathers. Each at least an inch long and really pointed/sharp on the end. :eek: Is this okay? How long does "ordinary" moulting last? I realize each bird is different, but his seems to be going on forever.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get him to take a bath. I have tried various methods and nothing seems to work - he hates it.

How do you train them not to poop outside the cage?

Any and all ideas/suggestions appreciated.

Paula

·
Registered
536 Posts
Paulie likes the plant sprayer, but only if it's his idea! LOL He will try to get into his water bowl (he doesn't fit!) and then he will let me spray the pejeebers out of him! I have to stop or he'd never get dry. He too has pin feather all over him now and he had a shower last week. He only seems to want one about every 3 weeks. If I try to spray him and he 's not in the mood, he will run away.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts

Paula - I don't really have a professional answer for you - just from my own experience.

My P'let had his first molt at 4 months [thats how we determined his age] - it lasted I'd say three or so weeks - mainly noticeable by the pin feathers on his head - it seemed to be endless

Mine wouldn't have a bath until pretty recently - I run water from the kitchen faucet onto my hands and he runs down my arm and splashes in the water - at first it was just one pass but now he will go back for longer turns but he still doesn't do it until he is soaked - we'll get there.

As for pooh training - there is a lot on the web about it - What I've discovered is it is never 100% and its all up to the person to basically take the bird to their cage or a preferred spot, example a paper towel etc when they 'the person' thinks the bird is about to poop.

The behavior becomes engrained in the bird's head - just like the step up, the bird learns to automatically raise a foot when he is presented with a finger - in the same way they will learn to go poo when presented with a paper towel or whatever is used in training. It just takes time.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Paula I save Bitsey Jo's little feathers, they are so tiny and I usually get two or three when she molts. Seems like it wuld hurt to pull them out but I guess not. About the poo, I had to change my shirt last night because she was not so tidy...Ah ..I don't care they are so small I don't find it a huge deal. She doesn't do it much.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Chipper is poo trained. She will be on me for a long time, then I will put her on her playgym and say "Poo." She will then poo! Funny.

I save feathers too. I have a crystal bowl and I put them in there. Yes, some of the long ones are pointed! I never see her pull feathers. Just preen. I think they just come loose for molting.

Yes, isn't it great how TINY the poo is???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts