Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back with more questions.
I'm sat with Dodi now. I just want to know if I'm doing anything right or wrong.
There are so many conflicting views on the internet that I just feel overwhelmed, and you guys are the people I turn to.
Dodi is 9-10months old, he's really come far in 3/4months and I am so proud of his progress from an un-tame 6 month old to a semi tame 9/10month old. Maybe what he does is normal, I guess I just need that reassurance.
He allows me to give him scritches under his terms, he will bite if I irritate him whilst scritching. He will drink water out of his bowl and he sometimes drinks droplets off my fingertips. He is a great eater and I've worked on getting him to eat pellets these few months from grinding them up to him actually eating them now, and he will eat treats from my hand but not outside of the cage through the bars which is odd seeing as he will take it out of my fingers. He is a sweet sweet boy, but there are a few hitches I'm unsure of.

He will put one foot on my finger sparingly which I reward him for, but other than that he isn't stepping up. I know it takes them longer to understand but most of you somehow taught them to do it quite fast. The internet tells me to target train or to push the belly but not push the belly because you shouldn't have to force them, whatever the answer is... I don't know. I have tried different techniques and wasn't going to target train, but is that the easier way? It makes me worry that I'm not doing the right thing, or maybe I need to be patient?
He's just quiet and, I don't mean in an unhappy sick kind of way, he is happy and chirps especially in the morning but I suppose he doesn't do a lot and that worries me.
Another source said that I shouldn't put toys in his cage because that will distract him from his training but I'm not sure if that's unkind because I know he needs stimulation. I am home for most of every day (housewife) and I spend time with him and we talk and I just don't know if I'm doing any good.
How many perches do you have in your cages? I would appreciate any advice because I want to do what is best for him. Maybe I was in over my head at the start and I still feel that way but I would not trade this experience (despite the tears... not in front of him) for anything because I love him so much.
I hope time and gaining trust that will make him as wonderful as all of your parrotlets.

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Hello~~~ You are the most normal parrotlet owner around! You are a caring and concerned parront and this is absolutely the best thing a parrotlet can have as an owner! One thing I have learned about caring for a parrotlet is that we humans should not group them as all being the same in personality, hormones, attitudes, etc. Each p'lett is different. This is why you see so much misinformation on the computer websites. Example: Should we have our p'letts eat pellets? Or seed mixes? People swear that the only way to properly feed a parrotlet is by pellets. People also swear that the only way to properly feed a parrotlet is by seed mixes. Both parties agree that p'letts need fresh veggies, nutritious treats, etc. Either way is good, as long as the diet is well balanced. Eating pellets all the time is boring, at least I think so. P'letts in the wild never eat pellets and they live a good life....ask any farmer who shoo's them away from the veggies in the field. Pellets are good for the p'lett, too. SO< what do you feed your bird? Either way is okay.

The same way about stepping up can be applied here. Do you push against the chest...or not? In your case, Dodi steps up with one leg/foot only. He will probably always do this, unless you change strategy. I would push against his chest and he would either fall, fly, bite, or step up onto your finger. I bet he would, after many attempts, step up completely. I have had dozens of birds in the past that did the ' one foot ' step, and I ended up pushing, ever so slightly, on their chest and they always ended up completely stepping up. It takes time, patience, practice and you must act like you are in control to a certain point.

If you want to train a bird, his/her toys positioned all around will not distract from training. You must keep Dodi's attention by offering a treat or praise or, whatever works.

I had many perches in my bird's cages. All different levels, so the bird can fly/hop to a perch, etc. Also, you should have different sized perches in your cage. This is good for foot health. Just make sure you put the perches so it will not interfere with flights.

The thing is, keep asking us for different ways to help you. Each p'lett has its own wants and needs and ways of doing things. This forum has helped me with my Bogie, when he was alive. He went through all kinds of serious and weird things and this forum gave me so much help, we solved every problem! Bogie quit eating one time, but he was healthy.( This happened after we went through a terrible hurricane). I was getting worried and so was the avian vet. Then one day, a forum member said, " Feed Bogie at the same time you and your wife eats meals and have him sit on the table with his food next to yours." By God it worked! He started eating! The member said that maybe Bogie wanted to eat with the flock ( me and my wife). From then on, Bogie shared his meals with us, and he started eating his treats, etc., during the day...all by himself! This is true! All Bogie wanted was to be like me and my wife.

You just have to try different things. Do not worry about what the internet says because you can get confused. Have patience and love that bird with all your heart! He will come around!

David and Vicki

·
Registered
42 Posts
Parrotlets definitely need toys in their cage and it does not distract from their training. For perches, I would put a variety of different types. There is a lot of incorrect information on the internet, so that is one thing to keep in mind.

Pellets are not good for parrotlets, and are associated with liver and kidney issues. If you read the ingredients in them, you will see that most of the them are not desirable to feed to them. Parrotlets are seed eating birds, which they need along with vegetables.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Parrotlets definitely need toys in their cage and it does not distract from their training. For perches, I would put a variety of different types. There is a lot of incorrect information on the internet, so that is one thing to keep in mind.

Pellets are not good for parrotlets, and are associated with liver and kidney issues. If you read the ingredients in them, you will see that most of the them are not desirable to feed to them. Parrotlets are seed eating birds, which they need along with vegetables.
Thank you. He does eat seeds the majority of the time and veggies. He prefers them over the pellets anyway haha.
I will definitely add some toys in and various perches. Thank you!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello~~~ You are the most normal parrotlet owner around! You are a caring and concerned parront and this is absolutely the best thing a parrotlet can have as an owner! One thing I have learned about caring for a parrotlet is that we humans should not group them as all being the same in personality, hormones, attitudes, etc. Each p'lett is different. This is why you see so much misinformation on the computer websites. Example: Should we have our p'letts eat pellets? Or seed mixes? People swear that the only way to properly feed a parrotlet is by pellets. People also swear that the only way to properly feed a parrotlet is by seed mixes. Both parties agree that p'letts need fresh veggies, nutritious treats, etc. Either way is good, as long as the diet is well balanced. Eating pellets all the time is boring, at least I think so. P'letts in the wild never eat pellets and they live a good life....ask any farmer who shoo's them away from the veggies in the field. Pellets are good for the p'lett, too. SO< what do you feed your bird? Either way is okay.

The same way about stepping up can be applied here. Do you push against the chest...or not? In your case, Dodi steps up with one leg/foot only. He will probably always do this, unless you change strategy. I would push against his chest and he would either fall, fly, bite, or step up onto your finger. I bet he would, after many attempts, step up completely. I have had dozens of birds in the past that did the ' one foot ' step, and I ended up pushing, ever so slightly, on their chest and they always ended up completely stepping up. It takes time, patience, practice and you must act like you are in control to a certain point.

If you want to train a bird, his/her toys positioned all around will not distract from training. You must keep Dodi's attention by offering a treat or praise or, whatever works.

I had many perches in my bird's cages. All different levels, so the bird can fly/hop to a perch, etc. Also, you should have different sized perches in your cage. This is good for foot health. Just make sure you put the perches so it will not interfere with flights.

The thing is, keep asking us for different ways to help you. Each p'lett has its own wants and needs and ways of doing things. This forum has helped me with my Bogie, when he was alive. He went through all kinds of serious and weird things and this forum gave me so much help, we solved every problem! Bogie quit eating one time, but he was healthy.( This happened after we went through a terrible hurricane). I was getting worried and so was the avian vet. Then one day, a forum member said, " Feed Bogie at the same time you and your wife eats meals and have him sit on the table with his food next to yours." By God it worked! He started eating! The member said that maybe Bogie wanted to eat with the flock ( me and my wife). From then on, Bogie shared his meals with us, and he started eating his treats, etc., during the day...all by himself! This is true! All Bogie wanted was to be like me and my wife.

You just have to try different things. Do not worry about what the internet says because you can get confused. Have patience and love that bird with all your heart! He will come around!

David and Vicki
Thank you again David and Vicki, your advice is invaluable!!!
I will do what you suggest :) and hopefully with that patience and time I'll get back to you with a very tame parrotlet haha. I know where to come if I have any concerns!! Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello. This sounds very similar to me and my parrotlet Enzo! It sounds like Dodi is settling in well! It looks like you have been given some really good advice. Enzo can target train but doesn't like it much he will walk and tap the stick if its close enough, but if its too far away/ he doesn't want to move hes not bothered by it. I was planning to use the target stick for a lot of his training so had to rethink, as if it was too much effort on his behalf he just didn't bother.

One thing that Enzo really responded too was clicker training - I don't know if you have tried this? We used this method for step up he went from just putting a toe on us to now fully stepping up. He sounds very similar to Dodi, he will only accept scritches on his terms! He will also only do his training if he wants something/ at certain times of the day. I have learnt with Enzo he is really eager to engage around 11.30 for an hour then again around 2 he will get all excited and interact with me otherwise he just does his own thing. He is only semi tame at the moment, it's taken us 5 months or so to get to this point. He too has made loads of progress, but we had to try lots of different things, as he did not always responds to techniques we had read online about.

Hope this helps!

Jet

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello. This sounds very similar to me and my parrotlet Enzo! It sounds like Dodi is settling in well! It looks like you have been given some really good advice. Enzo can target train but doesn't like it much he will walk and tap the stick if its close enough, but if its too far away/ he doesn't want to move hes not bothered by it. I was planning to use the target stick for a lot of his training so had to rethink, as if it was too much effort on his behalf he just didn't bother.

One thing that Enzo really responded too was clicker training - I don't know if you have tried this? We used this method for step up he went from just putting a toe on us to now fully stepping up. He sounds very similar to Dodi, he will only accept scritches on his terms! He will also only do his training if he wants something/ at certain times of the day. I have learnt with Enzo he is really eager to engage around 11.30 for an hour then again around 2 he will get all excited and interact with me otherwise he just does his own thing. He is only semi tame at the moment, it's taken us 5 months or so to get to this point. He too has made loads of progress, but we had to try lots of different things, as he did not always responds to techniques we had read online about.

Hope this helps!

Jet
Aww you're going through the same. That's nice to know I'm not alone. They're beautiful little birds.. very particular though 🤣
I have been clicker training the best I can. I'm just glad hes happy really, he's sat on his food bowl tweeting to me. I'm sure with time our little boys will be very tame 😃 thank you for your advice I will have to try different times for training!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts