Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First question, about members:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can get more members? It seems parrotlet owners are fewer and farther between than budgie/parakeet owners (my other site is for them). So naturally it will be harder to get members. Any suggestions or ideas? I'd like to see this community grow and become a great source for parrotlet owners.

Second question, about activity:

What types of things do you want to see going on here? Are there any types of contests or other activities you think would work at this point in time (we're still fairly small).

Third question, about articles:

If anyone here has a lot of knowledge about parrotlets, I encourage you to share it. If people are willing to submit some articles, I'll install some type of article system, or at least a forum for them. Anyone interested? Any articles submitted would be greatly appreciated. This might help out with my first question.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Dave I went to All things feathered, it's a huge site, everyone was nice on my first visit. Maybe we could invite their administrators to log in with us just for a question forum one evening and schedule it. There are only a few P'lets there, mostly big birds. We have all the p'let owners but they have years of bird experience to share. We need solid info, maybe they would like to sister with us. Your site is so nice, I'm not leaving I'm visiting both...mem

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think a good thing to try possibly is holding a photo contest once a month. You have a different theme each time (we could do it every other mnth too). So one time it's wet birds, next it's messy birds, next it's bird playing with toys, etc.

I have been to 2 other sites that do this and it's always a big hit.

Anyhow, ppl send their pics to you, and you post a thread where ppl can vote for thier favorite picture.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
My suggestion would be to refer to relevant threads on this site while visiting the parrotlet sections of other sites (it's best if members other than the administrator did this cross polinating). I do this regularly in a couple of the car forums I belong to and it has always been taken well.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Art hey...you know I think that if we could get to know some of the members better then a better dialoge would happen and more discussion would happen . I feel that in conversation you can tell who knows what they are doing and who doesn't, having said that I used to work at the animal shelter and we always had volenteers who thought they knew more than the Vets we used, and for the record that is not me. I learn dailey and my only concern is to treat my little bird as well as I can. I think like with our children we want our pets to be seen in the best light and I appreciate Bean's Mom telling us that he isn't always perfectly sweet. In that everyone can know that there probably isn't this perfect bird who never bites and always eats everything. They are like little people with different personalities and that epic explains why I wish we all talked more and told some of our bird stories because it would give insight for everyone.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Memmey,

I joined originally because I was looking for an answer to a particular question (can I add another bird to the mix...). Once I joined, I felt I should contribute what I know (which is not based on expertese, but what has worked thus far for me). I suspect that, like most forums, some members will be more active than others. Over time the more active members will become better known to one another. I think you will find that as long as the forum maintains at least some daily activity, it will grow over time. Also, remember threads never die - you can always add to them at any time (I've seen old threads come back to haunt people in some of the other non-bird forums I belong to ;) ).

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Dave, I'd certainly be willing to do some articles for you if you want. I would be comfortable doing articles for (and research for) cage requirements, feeding, toys and making your own toys. I'd probably be comfortable doing other articles too, but my brains dead at the moment so I can't think of what else.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hi dave
You know me, i'm a chatty gal! lol I'm always putting my 2 cents in :D
Its my first day here, so I am still poking around. I will do what I can to help your forum grow though!

·
Registered
351 Posts
First question, about members:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how we can get more members? It seems parrotlet owners are fewer and farther between than budgie/parakeet owners (my other site is for them). So naturally it will be harder to get members. Any suggestions or ideas? I'd like to see this community grow and become a great source for parrotlet owners.
Dave, you should put a clickable link on the bottom of your budgie forum!

·
Registered
794 Posts
I definately am all for the photo contests. All dave would have to do is appoint someone to moderate/manage the photos. (Maybe me? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I truly would want to do it)

I belong to other forums, and like someone said previously, it definately is a big hit.

I'm pretty sure we have enough members.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Lovely! Darn Trolls!

Photo comps seem to be popular on most forums. The "caption" competition is going strong over on Talk Budgies. Maybe you can appoint a Game Moderator, to schedule and start new comps?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts