Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Mooncake has been with me for 2 weeks now. He's 11 weeks old and making good progress.
He's learning to step up and seems to do this happily now (as long as I'm holding millet) he's even let me give him a little tickle. Although he seems to just tolerate it rather than enjoy it at this point so I'm not pushing him.
He's been out of his cage a few times although he just wants to climb around the outside of his cage. He was happily sat looking out of the window for a little while.
I get him to step up again once it's obvious he wants to get back inside the cage. I'm really looking forward to him coming out for a fly around the room.
I'm placing my hands inside the cage approx 5 times a day with millet for about 5 mins at a time, slowly working on trust.
He's eating a bit of veg and seeds although he doesn't seem very keen on pellets at the moment.
Anyway, here's a cute picture of him.

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
Great pic of him.
Sounds like you are making good progress

·
Registered
374 Posts
aww, look at his little poofs!

just one thing, I've heard that the silk/cloth hides/tunnels are bad... idk though
They can be if there is any fraying or if you notice the bird is chewing and ingesting the pieces. On their own they are fine, you just have to inspect them. Also, if the hut makes them hormonal it's best to remove it - without those issues it should be fine. My bird has a coconut he retires to at night before he goes to his sleep cage.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
aww, look at his little poofs!

just one thing, I've heard that the silk/cloth hides/tunnels are bad... idk though
Yes, I read about that after I'd already put it in there. I'm letting him have it for now until he's settled in properly and then I'll remove it and replace it with something more suitable for him to snuggle up to.
This was the first time he ever went inside it, he normally just snuggle up behind it.

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
I tied a piece of fleece to the side of Tumi cage as an easy to replace, easy to clean, open bottomed snuggle. That is where he chooses to sleep at night. It is about 8-12 inches long, tied at the midpoint over a perch as a sort of tent set up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They can be if there is any fraying or if you notice the bird is chewing and ingesting the pieces. On their own they are fine, you just have to inspect them. Also, if the hut makes them hormonal it's best to remove it - without those issues it should be fine. My bird has a coconut he retires to at night before he goes to his sleep cage.
Yeah, I didn't realise until after I'd put it in there. Coconut is a great idea. I'm keeping a close eye on it for any damage and once he's settled in here I'll remove it. My Brucie had a fluffy thing that he got a bit too attached to and I had to remove it so I should have realised.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tied a piece of fleece to the side of Tumi cage as an easy to replace, easy to clean, open bottomed snuggle. That is where he chooses to sleep at night. It is about 8-12 inches long, tied at the midpoint over a perch as a sort of tent set up.
That's a brilliant idea, thank you for your suggestion. He does seem to like to snuggle up so that would be a great replacement 😊

·
Super Moderator
4,566 Posts
Snuggle bird are a unique experience for me. Bo snuggled a bit, Jules grew to like it a bit more especially after she started to get sick. But Rio seems to crave a good snuggle. Add to that his very soft baby feathers and it is a very unique experience.

·
Super Moderator
5,044 Posts
Tumi can't sleep if he doesn't have a snuggle. The very first night home, I was magiver-ing him the fleece strip. It wasn't a planned addition to his cage, it was an "omg this bird won't sleep in his cage if he doesn't have something to snuggle on what in the world do I have that might work and be safe." Having a sleepy and snuggly baby bird as motivator definitely helped with the inspiration. He didn't use the perch underneath it for the first several years, preferring to cling to the side of the cage and try to be physically as close to me as possible. Now, he does retreat further into his cage on the perch at night.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Snuggle bird are a unique experience for me. Bo snuggled a bit, Jules grew to like it a bit more especially after she started to get sick. But Rio seems to crave a good snuggle. Add to that his very soft baby feathers and it is a very unique experience.
Aww I'm hoping as time goes on, he'll want to snuggle with me. Brucie would only Snuggle up if he was wet from a shower.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tumi can't sleep if he doesn't have a snuggle. The very first night home, I was magiver-ing him the fleece strip. It wasn't a planned addition to his cage, it was an "omg this bird won't sleep in his cage if he doesn't have something to snuggle on what in the world do I have that might work and be safe." Having a sleepy and snuggly baby bird as motivator definitely helped with the inspiration. He didn't use the perch underneath it for the first several years, preferring to cling to the side of the cage and try to be physically as close to me as possible. Now, he does retreat further into his cage on the perch at night.
That's exactly what mooncake is doing, just clinging to the bars and snuggling up to this little tent thing. I don't know if it's just because he's a baby. He's always clinging to it when I take the cover off in the morning. They are so sweet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts