TalkParrotlets.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys Moon is 14 weeks old now and weve had him for 2weeks- 2days.

Ive noticed Moon doing this after flying around, usually after food as well for a couple of minutes. I've searched the internet but couldn't find specifically what i intended.

I took this video about 5 minutes ago, very squeaky 馃ぃ

Any ideas?

Video link

Registered
Congratulations on Moon, who is a quaker parrot. You may want to look for a web forum that is dedicated to quakers since this one is focused on parrotlets.

Registered
I know nothing about Quakers, so I had to look this up. Quakers have gray colored cheeks, throat and chest, blue flight feathers and greenish color under their tails.

Super Moderator
He is very cute! If he is a Quaker, I know that they have specific behaviors that give them their name. I do agree that his coloring and size lead me to believe that he is not one of the parrotlet species. There does not appear to be any of the characteristic blue for a male parrotlet, and the overall size and shape seems to be of a larger parrot. Parrotlets range in size from approximately 28-34 grams and are about 4-5 inches long including their tails, which are rather short and pointed. Tumi can (and does) frequently hide underneath a tissue and can fit in a shirt pocket. While there isn't much in the video to give scale, unless the thing he is standing on is improbably thin, he seems to be a larger small parrot.

Registered
You can tell that it is a quaker parrot from the forehead, breast, and abdomen color pattern. Another name for quakers is monk parakeets. Yours is a yellow mutation, but in the wild they are green. They are about 12 inch long and have a longer tail than a parrotlet.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thabk
You can tell that it is a quaker parrot from the forehead, breast, and abdomen color pattern. Another name for quakers is monk parakeets. Yours is a yellow mutation, but in the wild they are green. They are about 12 inch long and have a longer tail than a parrotlet.
Thanks Jackie!

Moon was a gift.

Super Moderator
He look like a yellow monk Parakeet.
The action looks like a wiggle neck. In parrotlet is part of the mating ritual. In young it normal indicates a happy bird.

Reactions: Jas
1 - 9 of 9 Posts