Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little guy is usually as sweet as can be, but he does have moments of insanity. One moment he is regurgitating food for me and licking my finger, the next he attacks me and sometimes draws blood -- and for no apparent reason. He also has occasions when he runs around the bottom of his cage squaking madness. He stops after a while or when I take him out of the cage.

Does your p'let sometimes have these moments of insanity?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Csindelar,

How old is your baby? With regurgitating food, he might see you as his mate. Then his attacking you might be trying to warn you of danger. I know out in the wild, parrots will actually bite at other birds to scare them away to protect them from things.

I had a 25 year old cockatoo, Bernie. Supposedly he was caught from the wild and had been passed around from one owner to the next. I got him from a breeder that someone had traded him for a baby cockatoo. He is a sweet bird. My mother-in-law adopted him when I went back to work. Bernie was so use to having someone around that he had a fit anytime I left. Bernie was the beginning my mother-in-laws love for birds. She now breeds birds. Bernie is her watch dog and warns her when anyone gets out of line!

LOL.... I've gotten off the subject. Right after I got Bernie, I was cleaning his cage and he was up on the door. Anytime I cleaned my other birds cages (Sun Conure, Cocktiel, Africian Grey), I would use a shop vac. I thought nothing about it. I'm using it around Bernie's cage and the next thing I know he reached now and took a chunk out of my arm. I turned off the vacuum and turned to him and asked him why he did that. He leaned over and started rubbing his head against my chest. I'm sure he thought he was saving me from this mean noisy thing by biting me and getting me to FLY away. Needless to say, I never used the vacuum when he was near me again!

As for his squaking madness..... he might see this as the way to call you since you take him out of his cage afterwards.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Nemo's never regurgitated on me (thankfully) but he does have his crazy moments. One moment it's DEAD silent and the next, he'll be squawking like 100 times per minute. When he does this for attention just because I'm in the next room, I usually ignore him so he knows it won't work.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My Grey will regurgitate for my hubby! Merlin just LOVES him. I just laugh about it. My hubby fines it the most gross thing in the world!!!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I think ramona is right with the love/warning thing.
My pair will be all calm sitting next to each other, then the star squaking away flying around. little nutters!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts