Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At what age do Parrotlets have their first molt and what is the time inbetween molts after that?

·
Registered
78 Posts
It sorta depends. I think it's mainly the age to that it depends on.

My conures first moult was continuous for an entire year! Yikes, I know! After that it kept getting quicker and quicker. I think it takes around a month usually.... I think.

My female is going thru a really hard moult right now and she is a disaster as well, poor thing.

RGL, make sure to give your little guy some hard boiled egg WITH the shell (crushed up). It gives them extra calcium that they need right now to produce all those new feathers. Try to give them a bit of extra protien as well. This can be done thru the egg too, nuts, and meats (beef and stuff, well cooked). Peanut butter is often a much loved treat. You can give a bit of that each week for now. (I stuff penne pasta with a bit of peanut butter)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Candi,

Thanks for the feeding suggestions, I'm going to pass them along to my wife (the birds primary chef!).

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Kathy,

Are you sure he isn't plucking? Mine don't pluck down to the skin, just creative redecoration :rolleyes: .

Regards,

Art S.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts