Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oh my gosh Bitsey Jo is molting now she looks like a porcipine(sp?) I found gobs of feathers on the floor of her cage and I sorta panicked...she's plucking..nope she's molting.:D Boy is she ever molting!!!!

porcupine...thanks Pado for the correct spelling...LOL

·
Registered
582 Posts
If possible could you post a picture? When Allie starts molting, I'm sure I'd go through the same thought sequence you did, so if I know what to look for, it would help me a bit. Because I know I'd freak out and panic right away if I didn't know which it was.:eek:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Nemo finished a tremendous molt just a couple of months ago. It was his first molt but a really big one. I did end up saving some pretty feathers!

P.S. Yes, Memmey.. pictures, please! :D

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Kathy,

I really like the picture of Nemo sitting on your shoulder, chewing your hair - I know it's an old picture but I enjoy it each time I see it.

Memmey,

Sparky has one up on you he's both molting and has upped his plucking (we think due to mating season hormones) so we get LOTS of feathers!! He pulls out all of his green feathers, leaving his blue wing feathers and his down then he preens his down - he looks like a little grey fuzzball with a parrotlet head - sad and funny at the same time.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I read somewhere that Parrotlets compared to other birds look the worst during their molts – do you guys agree?

I’ve only had one molt with Rupert Peepers – I didn’t really notice a ton of fallen feathers but he did have a lot of pin feather on his head – like Memmey said, looked like a porcupine :D

I can’t wait for Penny Peepers 5 month molt – as that will mean her wings will grow in :p

Has anyone here had any issues with blood feathers as their birds molt?

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I don't think Chipper looks any different molting. She is very pretty. Just losing some feathers as she adds more. She eats very well, has lots of room in her cage for exer. and flies out of the cage and loves her light, that helps I think.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Kathy,

I really like the picture of Nemo sitting on your shoulder, chewing your hair - I know it's an old picture but I enjoy it each time I see it.
Thanks, Art! I enjoy seeing it too because he hardly ever does that anymore. I guess he thinks he's all "grown up" now and would rather sit and just watch everything I do. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Hmmm, Bibi has been plucking a bit from her chest since about february then stopped after a couple of weeks en as soon as she was 'presentable' again, started again...:eek: I've been thinking about 'hormonal moods' but they should end someday, shouldn't they? (at the moment it seems a bit less, but I don't dare to celebrate to early...)
The pins Memmey is talking about are well known here :p , espescially(?) on her head => looks like a porcupine allright! But she lóves it when I 'groom' her with my fingernails, closes her eyes and groomes me in return. (We're both very carefully with eachother at those times, wich she defenitely isn't with mé, if she thinks I should not clean her cage or something like that!)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Marjet,

Try to address the plucking if you can, my boy Sparky has removed all of the green feathers from his body, including his tail (of couse, his sister helped him with this :rolleyes: ). He left just enough feathers so he can fly and he maintains the down very well - nice and fluffy. I guess he just doesn't want to be green.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Marjet – assuming the Dutch seasons are somewhat similar to the U.S. it is spring – this is ‘one’ possibility for the female to pluck this time of year – its believed some females pluck from the chest to the lower part of their body - some line the nest with the feathers and they are clearing their bodies for better contact with the eggs for incubation. Even if not set up for breeding – ex: with a mate or box – its instinctual.

Then of course there are many other reasons – ranging from:

Medical issues (bacterial, yeast infection or mites are the most common)
Dry skin (humidifier can help with this)
Allergies (cigarette smoke, food or environmental)
Sexual frustration (South American species are the most affected – the Parrotlet fits into this category)
Nutrition (improper diet)
Improper wing clipping (usually at too young an age, before fledging)
Obesity
Thyroid issues
Psychological – emotional – neurotic issues
Stressful molt
Habit (probably formed from one of the above)

And I’m sure others could come up with a few more - ;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Marjet,

Try to address the plucking if you can, my boy Sparky has removed all of the green feathers from his body, including his tail (of couse, his sister helped him with this :rolleyes: ). He left just enough feathers so he can fly and he maintains the down very well - nice and fluffy. I guess he just doesn't want to be green.

Regards,

Art S.
You write it down funny enough, but I guess it must be quite sad to see him like that?
I never catch her plucking but see the spots on het chest :(

And Pado, it sounds weird I suppose, but I hardly find any feathers in her cage or elsewhere in the livingroom. I don't believe she eats them 'cause her droppings look about the same as ever.
Her food contains seed, pellets, unsalted (or otherwise treated) nuts, fruit and vegetables (although she's picky on the last two things :rolleyes: corn, broccoli and carrots are best eaten)
I'm still hoping it's all in the season 'cause you're quite right => spring has arrived up here! Wonderfull ;)

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Marjet – yep, hopefully that is all it is – I suppose you’ll know soon enough as Spring comes to an end.

That is strange you don’t see any feathers about – I wonder what she’s doing with them :eek: :D :D

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Marjet,

Yes we were very upset about it at first, my wife especially since he was very beautiful and we both were worried there was something wrong. We've done everything to find the cause. At this point we think it is the result of the relation he has with his sister as there is no other apparent medical condition (we checked and had the vet run tests!).

Personally I chose him for his personality which he still has so I don't care about how he looks. Though I make fun of his appearance, I don't think he minds - in his minds eye he's an eagle - third in comand of the house behind me and my wife (fourth if MeMe asserts herself :rolleyes: ).

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Miss porcupine Bitsey Jo now needs my assistance to preen her new feathers...no cage mate just me. She is so sweet, holds her head around and gets all sleepy acting and if I make one move that she is not expecting, then I get a little play bite. Her new feathers are nice and she looks fluffy, we still have alot to go till she's done. I wonder if this molt is due to a change in seed I'm feeding. It's a real heavy molt.....I wonder?

·
Registered
133 Posts
As far as I know, a change of food, can bring birds to molt.

From my late and lovely Sennie I know that the first molt, when she was still very young, was the most heavy molt she ever had. So I don't know if your Bitsey Jo is in her first real molt?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Marget no I have had her about 8 years and she has one very year but this one is big..LOL She's looking better though.:)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts