TalkParrotlets.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! Just curious, when does the first molt happen for a baby parrotlet and how long does it last?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have been told the first molt happens around 4 months old and can last a few Weeks to a few months. Then they molt again around a year. My parrotlet seems to be perpetually molting, however!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
4mths usually is the first molt. Mine molted for maybe a month-month and a half. He is now molting again and is approaching 7mths. But I think that's due to spring.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I'm awaiting the arrival of the first molt and hoping she does well!!:) I'll keep u updated! Thanks for the replies!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey everyone! Just curious, when does the first molt happen for a baby parrotlet and how long does it last?
I found this article to be very informative about molting

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
I found this article to be very informative about molting
This article is by a website that sells bird products and supplements, so it is no surprise that they recommended products that they sell such as Harrison's products, Featheriffic, and Nekton Bio. Fresh foods such as vegetables and a bit of fruit (which the article mentions) and quality seed are recommended to provide to your parrotlet. Sprouts are also good to provide, which this article also mentions.

It is not entirely correct to say that they do not store vitamins and minerals as indicated in this article. Fat soluble vitamins which include vitamin A, D, E, and K are association with the absorption of fats in the diet and can be stored in parts of their body. All other vitamins are water soluble and are not stored in the body.

Pellets are not necessary for parrotlets, and have been linked to kidney and liver issues in small bird species. They are a processed food made up of ground up seeds along with fillers like corn, soy, wheat, and synthetic vitamins (chemicals). For those who do choose to feed pellets, it should make up a very small percentage of their diet. Tops is the only brand of pellets recommended as they are produced differently than others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts