Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!
I'm a first time parrotlet mom (but I've had other birds), and I want to make sure I'm doing everything I can for my little Scuttle-butt!
His hatch-day is 7/14/21, so that would make him roughly 3 months old. From what I've read, they shouldn't molt until a year right? He's got pins on his little head, his back, and his neck/chin. He's very grumpy and yells at everyone 馃檮

I saw sprays that you spray on them to help with itchy was (I offer a bath everyday, but he REQUIRES/ DEMANDS a blow-dry after his baths or he screams, shivers, and just looks sad and looks miserable. I'm sure that drys him out too though 馃様)

Then I've read about vitamins. He eats all kinds of good stuff. He's loves his kale and broccoli. He gets corn, apples, and a bean out of my bean and cheese burrito every now and then 馃槀. But I worry like a us feather-parents do.

Any new Parrotlet mom advice (even if it's random).

Registered
Hi! Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I was told approximately 5-7 months is when the first 'mature' molts are supposed to happen HOWEVER molting initiates their little internal clocks based on a combination of hormones, light, and weather so it can vary and will be okay. I always ask my avian vet about molting and she has told me that this year, in the midwest United States has just been all around bad for bird molting schedules (they're all over the place).

I am always very wary about any sort of bird spray products that are not explicitly prescribed by my veterinarian (those types of pet store products mostly are not fantastic and I worry about their little lungs). I have always found the most helpful was some room temperature water in a mister or vapor from a humidifier. It helps loosen the sheath around new feathers and they dont need to be soaked- just enough to increase the moisture in the air. My p'lett actually loves having her humidifier on in general!

Same thing with vitamins- unless they're from the vet or vet recommended I have never felt comfortable giving them to my bird. Parrotlets can get tons of nutrients from their diets, they are extremely efficient biologically! My p'lett eats Lafaber brand Nutriberries as per vet instruction and one or two dishes of mixed veggies everyday, sometimes a little qinoa, or a scrambled egg. Its really just all about variety. Keep offering him a variety of foods - they'll get all they need from that!

I would recommend and avian uv lamp if you don't have one. It helps them absorb all those good food nutrients. Tofu's feathers just became the brightest yellow after having her lamp and some good veggies!

Super Moderator
Molts are an interesting thing with captive birds. I have had 3 parrotlets now and they all molted a bit differently. Bo was a heavy fall / spring molter, very little feather droppage other than then. Jules who we had the longest at 9 years was always dropping feathers just did so at some times more than others. So far Rio who was a year old last August and we have had a year in October has not done a "molt" other than running into a ceiling fan and scalping himself. He was clipped when we got him and so far even that seems to be holding so I am not sure what is up except the feathers he has are unbelievably fine and soft. Softer by far than the other two were but we got them as older rescues and he is a baby.

Reactions: Dangerous_Dame

Registered
Georgie started molting right around five months. He did grow his primary flight feathers back but I do see that there are a couple on each side to go. That started about two months ago. He always has pins on his head too. I think it just varies. He has just the right nutrition, sunlight, sleep schedule everything. But it depend so much on where you live, weather patterns, just as others have said.
i鈥檝e heard that two things can really help them. Cucumber, which really seem to calm him. And bathing. With him what I noticed about bathing was that he didn鈥檛 like it at first. He only wanted to be near water if I was holding him. Then I very slowly got him used to being in the bathroom with me. over the course of a couple weeks he went from sitting on top of his cage while I took a shower to flying over to the shower curtain and eventually in and wanting to be in the shower with the missed setting on. If you have a missed setting that鈥檚 a really good way to get them used to bathing. You are not spraying them directly, they can just be in the bathroom with the shower on and the mist will be in the air. My cousin recommended that as she has had many birds. That works really well. For about two weeks I set his cage in, turned on the shower until there Was missed in the bathroom. Now he just loves it. It鈥檚 a very gentle introduction. And it helps very very much with the itchiness of molding and pinfeathers. I hope that helps somewhat

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi! Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I was told approximately 5-7 months is when the first 'mature' molts are supposed to happen HOWEVER molting initiates their little internal clocks based on a combination of hormones, light, and weather so it can vary and will be okay. I always ask my avian vet about molting and she has told me that this year, in the midwest United States has just been all around bad for bird molting schedules (they're all over the place).

I am always very wary about any sort of bird spray products that are not explicitly prescribed by my veterinarian (those types of pet store products mostly are not fantastic and I worry about their little lungs). I have always found the most helpful was some room temperature water in a mister or vapor from a humidifier. It helps loosen the sheath around new feathers and they dont need to be soaked- just enough to increase the moisture in the air. My p'lett actually loves having her humidifier on in general!

Same thing with vitamins- unless they're from the vet or vet recommended I have never felt comfortable giving them to my bird. Parrotlets can get tons of nutrients from their diets, they are extremely efficient biologically! My p'lett eats Lafaber brand Nutriberries as per vet instruction and one or two dishes of mixed veggies everyday, sometimes a little qinoa, or a scrambled egg. Its really just all about variety. Keep offering him a variety of foods - they'll get all they need from that!

I would recommend and avian uv lamp if you don't have one. It helps them absorb all those good food nutrients. Tofu's feathers just became the brightest yellow after having her lamp and some good veggies!
Aw!!! What great advice!!! Thank you!!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Georgie started molting right around five months. He did grow his primary flight feathers back but I do see that there are a couple on each side to go. That started about two months ago. He always has pins on his head too. I think it just varies. He has just the right nutrition, sunlight, sleep schedule everything. But it depend so much on where you live, weather patterns, just as others have said.
i鈥檝e heard that two things can really help them. Cucumber, which really seem to calm him. And bathing. With him what I noticed about bathing was that he didn鈥檛 like it at first. He only wanted to be near water if I was holding him. Then I very slowly got him used to being in the bathroom with me. over the course of a couple weeks he went from sitting on top of his cage while I took a shower to flying over to the shower curtain and eventually in and wanting to be in the shower with the missed setting on. If you have a missed setting that鈥檚 a really good way to get them used to bathing. You are not spraying them directly, they can just be in the bathroom with the shower on and the mist will be in the air. My cousin recommended that as she has had many birds. That works really well. For about two weeks I set his cage in, turned on the shower until there Was missed in the bathroom. Now he just loves it. It鈥檚 a very gentle introduction. And it helps very very much with the itchiness of molding and pinfeathers. I hope that helps somewhat
You know, it really does. I have a very small humidifier just for my animals. (I have a few small lizards that have needed it here and there).
I think I'll put some nice warm water in and turn it on low while he's sunbathing in the afternoons. We are in California, so it's still pretty warm here. I'll get him a nice avian light too for when our "winter hits" and it's too cold to be in the window everyday. You all have helped so much.

I'm forever greatful!

Here's a few pictures of my little blue baby (you can see his patchyness)
Bird Beak Parrot Electric blue Feather

Bird Parrot Beak Finger Nail

Food Cuisine Finger Dish Nail

1 - 6 of 6 Posts