Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone Sunshine is going through a molt. I saw a few long flight feathers in his cage this morning.

This evening he was having a hard time flying. Is this something any of you have experienced?
He does not look like he is missing feathers but maybe the new feathers have not fully come in?

He is a magnificant flyer and tonight it was like when he was learning to fly agian.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Poor Sunshine. If he is molting he should be loosing his feathers symmetrically. Meaning that if a feather on one wing is lost and replaced, the same feather on the other wing is lost and replaced too. This is so they can keep their balance while flying. How many feathers did you find? Do you think he dropped them all at one time? Could he have injured himself? He may not be having a normal molt. Dropping too many flight feathers at one time could affect his flying. I do not know what else would be causing it. Can you look at the outline of his wings to see if he has an irregular molting pattern?

·
Super Moderator
3,706 Posts
Hi Lin. I have never had that experience with Kiwi. She was always able to fly even when she had a difficult molt. It doesn’t sound right - a molt in the wild couldn’t leave the bird unable to fly. I would examine for an injury. If you can’t see anything, I would give it a few days to see if it resolves. It’s curious indeed.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Jackie, if Kiwi had lost too many flight feathers during her bad molt, she would have difficulty flying like Sunshine.. Maybe I should have referred it to an abnormal molt instead of a bad molt. Any loss of wing feathers will impair a birds flying ability. That is why nature designed birds to lose their feathers symmetrically.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Poor Sunshine. If he is molting he should be loosing his feathers symmetrically. Meaning that if a feather on one wing is lost and replaced, the same feather on the other wing is lost and replaced too. This is so they can keep their balance while flying. How many feathers did you find? Do you think he dropped them all at one time? Could he have injured himself? He may not be having a normal molt. Dropping too many flight feathers at one time could affect his flying. I do not know what else would be causing it. Can you look at the outline of his wings to see if he has an irregular molting pattern?
I found three long flight feathers, maybe one extra came out from one side. He looks normal to me. Ive had a barberer/plucker and this bird never looks like that one did, his feathers always look so nice. maybe they were the longest and he ws off. Hopefully he will be ok. He is going to the bird store for a week so he wont be flying at all and have lots of time for those feathers to grow in.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Lin. I have never had that experience with Kiwi. She was always able to fly even when she had a difficult molt. It doesn’t sound right - a molt in the wild couldn’t leave the bird unable to fly. I would examine for an injury. If you can’t see anything, I would give it a few days to see if it resolves. It’s curious indeed.
Hi I did look didnt see anythign wrong, hopefully his feathers will grow back during the week he is being boarded while we are awy next week.

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can see this morning that the left side has one long flight feather and the right side does not. That prpbably explains the difference in his flying. Hopefully the left side drops soon. That also makes sence since I saw three long flight feathers...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts