Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm new to this forum, although I've been reading through quite a few things on here since getting my parrotlet Loki when he was 7 weeks. At first he was really sweet and even though it took some time to build trust, only a few weeks in he was flying to my hand/stepping up and letting me give scritches. He was absolutely fine for the 4 weeks after I got him and then he started molting and since that he has been impossible :( he is very difficult to handle. He will still sit on my hands but as soon as he is on he will bite, he used to nibble before but these bites are really hard. He has broken my skin several times and I now have scabs all over my hands. Scritches are a no unless is on his cage somewhere and he won't step up, only bite the end of my finger while he holds its with his lil bird foot. He also aggressively plays with toys constantly screeching and biting them if he's not eating. He will still call for me when I leave the room and will happily come and sit near me if I'm near his cage so I dont think it's a bonding problem. I know they're usually grumpy during a molt but I'm not sure how to go about handling him. I don't want to not get him out because it's not fair and I don't want to undo the progress I made with him before. Any suggestions as to what I can do? Thanks

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I must admit.. your title to this thread made me laugh out loud. Its funny because it's true!

Best recommendation I have is to just keep handling him. Yes he will bite and it will hurt and it will be frustrating and sad and painful, but it's really important that you keep handling him and don't make a big reaction each time he bites. He is very uncomfortable and biting is the only way he can express himself. You can put a humidifier in the room, and offer fresh water often to encourage bathing (my Levi only bathes once in a blue moon so don't be surprised if he doesn't bathe) which will help his pinnies.

Best of luck.. you will get through this

·
Super Moderator
4,459 Posts
How much sleep is he getting? Parrotlets need 12 or more hours of dark / quiet / sleep time or they tend to get cranky and bitey.

Also for the biting I suggest training with gentle beak technique. I believe there is a sticky about this type of training on the board. He is a young bird and may not understand that his fierce playing is hurting you. It is a common problem and gentle beak has helped many of us teach our birds about biting.

As for the molt. Baths help, so does humidity in the air.

Also be sure to keep your scritches to the neck and above. Not really an issue at his age but body petting can cause aggression later.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
To the good suggestions that've been shared I'd add that during such periods of training I'll use shorter, more frequent sessions, rather than wait for meltdowns, trying if possible for some positive interaction. I wish you the best!

·
Registered
4,843 Posts
Dupree and Loki,
Loki looks like he is going through some terrible twos a little early.His hormone levels are up, for sure. When you play with him or give him scritches, do you touch his wings or rump or belly? Do you ever turn him on his back and tickle him below the neck?

Be careful when you pet him. This makes hormone levels go up. The same with a female. Loki is male, right?

The attack on his toys is normal. He is now feeling his oats, so to speak. He feels like a stallion and he is showing his aggression.
Try not to react to his bites. He feeds on that reaction. I know it is hard to take the pain, but try. When he does bite you, gently say " No bite" or " Be gentle", etc.

Try not to let him sit on your shoulders until he settles down. Never grab him for any reason, except to medicate, if needed. Never use a towel to catch him. Give plenty of sleep and darkness. Keep him warm at night since the winter is coming.

If he fixates on a certain toy and won't let you touch it, then take the toy away and hide it for a few months or throw it away. He will try to adopt the toy as a mate and this will interfere with the bond you have with him. My Bogie did this with a toy and I had to get rid of that toy or suffer hard bites anywhere he could bite me!

He will settle down, some. Be patient. He is slipping out of his baby period and becoming the little ruler he is destined to be!

Send pics.

David and Bogie;):rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Great advice from our forum members----they certainly apply to what Ollie is going through. Only once did Oliver bite that broke my skin. He is most aggressive first thing in the morning, so I protect my hand with a glove or towel. Keep us posted. This is what our pterodactyls are like when hormonal. Best to you.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
In addition to everyone else, keep a toy or cuttlebone right next to you during play time. When Loki turns into bitey rage monster mode, give him the toy or cuttlebone to chew on. Worked great for my guys during that period. They're looking for something to take out their frustration on. Luka especially would spend the next 10 minutes destroying the cuttlebone until he calmed down. The cuttlebone really lets them sink their beak in and tear chunks out. Plus then they get it out of their system and they go right back to playing and cuddling with you. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts