Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So just as some background River is my first ever bird, which is why I might come across as uneccisarily anxious, I just want to make sure.

In the last two days I’ve noticed that a patch of feathers just above his beak are missing, I know this could be moulting (he’s around 14-15 weeks), but I had read that moulting starts with the wings, and so far all he has preened out are the occasional downy feather from his chest.

It just seems in a really specific place and not where I expected it would start. (I’ll attach a picture below).

If it is moulting could anyone give me a rough timeline of what’s going to happen when, so that I don’t worry when something else happens?

Bird Beak Pet supply Fence Mesh

(apologies if it’s blurry he will not stay still for love nor millet when he thinks I’m going to let him out for a fly, even though he’s already been out for several hours today)

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
Hello there! River is such a beautiful colour! He’s kind of lavender. I haven’t seen that before. Very beautiful.

I have never actually seen that sort of bald spot above the beak before. It doesn’t look like a normal molting thing to me but I don’t know what else it could be. Hopefully other members have some thoughts. When Kiwi molts, it’s kind of a feather explosion with a lot of the little white feathers and small green feathers everywhere and the occasional long green wing feather. I have never seen a specific spot like that. I am assuming by your post that you haven’t noticed anything that could have caused it - rubbing on anything maybe? Did it just suddenly appear?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello there! River is such a beautiful colour! He’s kind of lavender. I haven’t seen that before. Very beautiful.

I have never actually seen that sort of bald spot above the beak before. It doesn’t look like a normal molting thing to me but I don’t know what else it could be. Hopefully other members have some thoughts. When Kiwi molts, it’s kind of a feather explosion with a lot of the little white feathers and small green feathers everywhere and the occasional long green wing feather. I have never seen a specific spot like that. I am assuming by your post that you haven’t noticed anything that could have caused it - rubbing on anything maybe? Did it just suddenly appear?
Nothing in particular, he doesn’t rub on much unless it’s to clean his beak when seeds/veg get stuck to the outside of it, and he doesn’t try and like stick his head through the bars. I’m not worried about it with regards to his general health, he’s vocalising and constantly moving, seems pretty happy, it just seemed a bit weird to me and I can get worried easily, and if it’s some behaviour I need to stop it’s be useful to know.

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
I understand. It doesn’t look like anything worrisome to me, just weird as you said. I assume the skin in that little hole looks normal? And can you tell if there is any discolouration on his nares (nostrils) or beak? It’s just a funny location - he can’t reach that with his beak so something must have happened. I would keep an eye on it, see if his feathers come back in in a little bit. You could always take him to see an avian vet, of course, but I don’t think personally I would at this point. I would just watch it for now.

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
Beautiful bird and love their color. This is not a normal molt. When mine have gotten such a thing they either bumped their head or rubbed it raw on something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ve managed to get a better photo when he’s out of the cage, it looks as though there’s a pin in there, so it could just be a weird moulting pattern or he’s rubbed it when I’m not there to get at the pin. I’d help him with it, but he has issues with my fingers (wiggles his neck and bites at them) that I haven’t managed to sort yet. The area surrounding his beak looks normal though.
Bird Vertebrate Beak Feather Wing

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
He’s probably rubbing at it. It looks a bit ingrown so it might be irritating him and he’s rubbing it, which isn’t a bad thing if it gets it out. Kiwi never let me touch her pinnies. She would try to amputate my fingers if it did and she has no issue with my fingers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts