Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I just thought I'd give you a little update on Milo. He seems to be settling in very well. He's eating both seed and pellets along with a little millet now and again and drinking plenty of water. We're up to four toys in his cage now and he seems to be having a good time with them. He LOVES the birdie kabob. He spends hours making a big mess shredding it. He also really enjoys hanging upside from his swing perch and swinging away. It's hilarious to watch!

The taming is going much better than I expected after the length of time he spent in the pet store. I gave him a full day to settle in before I started putting my hand in the cage. Initially he would not move away from my hand, but he gave me lots of "no thank you" bites. I did not want to scold him in any way until he was used to me, so I just ignored the bites. Eventually he started chewing up and down my finger like a corn cob looking for a tender spot. Some of those nips on the fingertip really smarted. I'm just glad he's not a Macaw! Anyway, he seems to have realized that the biting wasn't working for him so it's pretty much stopped. Now he only occasionally bites me for balance while he climbs up on my finger, the same as any other perch. We're up to about 30 minutes at a time 3 or 4 times a day that he's spending out of his cage now. He's like a small child in that he does not want to come out of his cage, however once he's out he doesn't want to go back in. It reminds me of my kids when they say they don't want to go to the park, then once you get there they're having too much fun and they don't want to leave. When he's out of his house he has no issues jumping right up onto my finger, and he seems to really enjoy sitting on my shoulder. We started doing a few step ups today and he did very well. He'll usually do three or four before he jumps down.

All in all I couldn't be happier with the way things are going. Milo's still in the small cage for now, but a bigger one is on order (thanks again for the link, Art). I'm sure he'll be thrilled when the new one shows up. Sorry for another long post. I wanted to post some pictures, but Milo's little head darts around too much. He's been out of focus in every shot I've taken! Maybe I'll have better luck with the camera later.

Jeremy

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hey Jeremy when you get the new cage you ought to sit it by him and let him look at it for a while before the big swap. Your doing so good that you don't want to set him back if he is bonded to the smaller cage. Introduce it slowly and he'll be nosey. If you add toys do the same...you may already know all of this but just in case I thought I would mention it to you :}

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Jeremy,

Sounds like you and Milo are doing great!

Good luck with the cage you'll LOVE the directions :rolleyes: ;) . By the way, if you write a long post, it just gives us more to read - not a bad thing.

Regards,

Art S.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts