Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I thought since the weather is so warm and wonderful that Miss B"Jo needed a an salon appointment. I started the sink water in the bathroom and under she went( no ears or eyes), she started making this little sweet cherping(or crying I'm not sure) and she got a good rinsing. She looks so pretty. I've tried to mist her for years and I had to chase her and she never really got a good bath and all she has ever washed is her bangs( with great gusto). Now she is so fluffy and really really pretty. Do you think I should spray her with perfume and paint her toe nails??LOL ( for anyone out there stupid enough to do that....do not do it.) She is still preening and seems content. Hooray~:D

·
Registered
62 Posts
yay memmey that is so exciting! I may try that with Froot...he doesn't like the mister bottle very much. I bought a pretty green one that is about his color, thought he may like it, but I think he sees it as his enemy. :rolleyes: But yay for lil B Jo....better watch out; you're going to have some male p'lets knocking at your door soon if she is so pretty now...hehe:D

·
Registered
835 Posts
We have a really cool misting bottle that the parrotlets like over the average spray bottle. At first they don't want to be misted, but after a minute or two they love it and will even get in their water bowl as it "rains"!!

This is the one the birds have liked best:
http://www.bonsaibirds.com/htm/Items/iMist/IM02001.htm

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Sounds like she is all fluffy and pretty! Chipper hates the spray bottle. I just drip some water and bathe her like that every few days. Doesn't bother her that way.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I generally use knid of warm water. By the time the mist reaches the bird it cools off - and I don't want to make them cold! But, honestly, I don't know what a parrot likes in their water temperature. I have seen them choose to bathe in warm water and choose to bathe in very cold water (in their water dishes)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Andrea,

I use slightly warm also but I've recently heard, from Pado I believe, that they may prefer slightly cool.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I held Jo slightly under the faucet and let the water GENTLY run over her (not her head she handles that). I remember Pado's comment and I had noticed that Jo always washes her head in the water dish which is cool so I used what I call tepid water barely barely warm. I wrapped her in a thick bath rag to dry her and then she preened and preened She seems to have had a good day today, she played on the bed while I read and she has been so friendly and I'm thinking grateful. If she would only eat better...that's for another day or year or lifetime.....

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No camera..I borrow my sons(22 years old ) and I have to lure him here with money or food...then I'll post pictures...I need a camera...bad. She's shiney clean.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Memmey – I’m glad Bitsy Jo’ enjoyed her bath – you now have a new activity together ;)

Andrea – I figured out the cold water by trial and error :eek: – I read to use warm water and was trying for months to get him to bathe to no avail :eek:

One day I was giving him a drink of cold water from the faucet and he started acting like he wanted to bathe – ever since then when offered cold water he bathes – refuses the warm water still - Although this might be just him I have no idea :rolleyes:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Oh yay! Doesn't it make you feel so happy to see her shower and bath?! And their cleaniness + fluffiness afterwards.. super cute!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Memmey, that sounds great and very encouraging too! So maybe there is hope after all for Bibi to bathe some time :D
It is all very much a question of 'keep on goin' isn't it?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Marget...it's totally true, we all want them to be trained or socialized in the first 6 weeks of having them but sometimes that is not the case. I'm sure that their are people who do succeed really fast depends on the bird it seems to me.Most of us are average people( accept Art) and we have no expertise in bird handling, we learn by trial and error. Most of us just want our birds to be happy and love us, I don't care if mine talks or does tricks ( by the way she doesn't) , I just want a sweet companion that looks forward to seeing me. Sometimes it takes a long time and plenty of patience...I feel that the issues with the birds most times are not the bird it is the owner. Don't you think iti is interesting that every bird problem is always blamed on the bird and not the owner......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts