Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! So, I've been meaning to sign up for this forum for about 10 months -- since we bought Zerby home -- and I'm glad I've finally done it.

Zerby is about 10 months old, and he's a feisty little bugger. He's a hand-fed Pacific Blue parrotlet that we bought directly from a breeder. He's grown to be very possessive of me and he'll squawk his little birdie head off when my boyfriend walks into the room. (Although, on occasion, he'll preen my boyfriend's sideburns.)

He's a super quick learner. I taught him "turn around" when he was about 4 months and I got him to start somersaults at around 6 months. Right now, those are his only two tricks -- although I think I can probably teach him how to fetch, too.

Here's a video of Zerby doing the somersault trick.

He started talking at about six months. We'd always caught him chattering in gibberish alone in his cage, but if we entered the room, he'd stop. Then, one day when I was running the faucet, he looked up at me from my shoulder & said, "Water?" (This is because I like to occasionally feed him a drop of water from my finger, and I always tend to ask him if he wants water in the exact same intonation every time. He's learned to copy me exactly.)

Now, he's sort of mis-learned that "water" means any sort of treat...water OR food. Oh well. I'm still glad he seems to understand the concept of requesting food/drink!

Other words he's learned:

-pretty bird
-you're so cute!
-1, 2, 3, peekaboo!
-wolf whistle
-"are you there?" whistle
-zerby

And, he imitates my laugh. Freaking adorable. After he finishes squawking at my boyfriend or attacking his bell, he'll laugh. And it cracks me up every time, so I definitely reinforce this bit of cuteness.

His favorite foods are corn, pomegranate seeds, and safflower seeds. I wish I could get him back into his brief broccoli phase, but, no luck. He won't eat pellets to save his life, either.

He's scared of shredded paper, any object that hangs from the ceiling, and dark corners. He loves (or hates?) it when I shake a pill bottle or when I crunch up paper or a plastic bag. He'll playfully attack any phallic object that's not a finger -- pens & pencils, hairbrushes, toothbrushes, utensils, etc.

Last month, he finally became comfortable with me cupping him in my hand before bedtime. I'd love for him to be so comfortable with it that he'll learn to lay on his back for treats, but I'm sure that's a long time coming!

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Welcome to the forum -- he sounds like a sweetie!

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
Welcome, and Zerby sounds like a complete joy..You have done so will with him..Glad he protects you from the boyfriend..:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts