Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Just don't add milk.

The babyfood is in replace of the milk. Just do the recipe, dude!!

It is always an experiment the 1st time. :p

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
They usually eat it, even if it is not perfect. As long as the ingredients are healthful and safe, just make it and see how it works.

I don't use milk either.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I made it!

I made Bitsy's Birdie Bread.....GREAT!
Oscar, his sister, and my mom's macaw loved it!!!
The recipe is so perfect, and I made little muffins.
Perfecto!

If you are familiar with this recipe, I used sweet potato and apple sauce baby foods.

They have these new little containers, that have resealable plastic lids, and come in a pack of two. Using a combination of any two of the containers, equals 1/2 cup which made the muffins perfect! I added in two types of bird seed, and pellet. And sprinkled pellet on the top.

It was great!

If you don't know the recipe, private message me. I got it from Kiwi. But my version is kind of a variation, so you can try both of our's. :):)
__
Pado, you once said that your birds prefer the Mama's Birdie Bread over homemade....
Have you tried this particular recipe?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
:) :)

I am glad you like it.

Check your Pm!

I would love to make muffins instead of squares :p

·
Registered
514 Posts
Here's the recipe - remember it's just a starting point and you can vary the veggies (sometimes I use fruit) and/or baby food. No milk!

Bitsy’s Favorite Birdie Bread

1 pkg. Jiffy Cornbread mix
1 egg with shell
1/4 - 1/3 c. baby food sweet potatoes
1/4 - 1/3 c. applesauce (no added sugar)
1 handful frozen mixed veggies (green beans, carrots, corn, peas)

Spray square dish or pie pan with Pam. Put above ingredients together in blender and blend till pretty fine. Thin juice till you can pour it in a pan. Pour in the pan, then stir in bird seed and sprinkle bird seed on top. Bake according to pkg. directions.

·
Registered
514 Posts
p.s. - the purpose of the bird seed is to make the bread appealing to the bird if he is reluctant to try something new. The bird seed amount is a handful or less -

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's the recipe - remember it's just a starting point and you can vary the veggies (sometimes I use fruit) and/or baby food. No milk!

Bitsy’s Favorite Birdie Bread

1 pkg. Jiffy Cornbread mix
1 egg with shell
1/4 - 1/3 c. baby food sweet potatoes
1/4 - 1/3 c. applesauce (no added sugar)
1 handful frozen mixed veggies (green beans, carrots, corn, peas)

Spray square dish or pie pan with Pam. Put above ingredients together in blender and blend till pretty fine. Thin juice till you can pour it in a pan. Pour in the pan, then stir in bird seed and sprinkle bird seed on top. Bake according to pkg. directions.
That is exactly what I did the first time, with those same baby foods. Oscar LOVED it! But the second time, I bought about 5 different kinds of baby food, and mixed them then used half a cup. And he loves those too!

·
Registered
514 Posts
It's a great way to get the little guys to eat things they wouldn't eat otherwise. What about fresh or frozen fruits? Bitsy likes frozen strawberries, among other things.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Just saw this posting -- I'm trying this for Kiwi tomorrow! Sounds like a yummy treat for her! I should feed her this only once a week, right? How much should I give her???

Thanks! This site is GREAT!! :D

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Perfect! Thanks! I have a mini muffin pan too! This is such fun! Our 3 dogs are spoiled :eek: and now I have a birdie to spoil tooooo!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Re Jiffy Cornbread Mix - remember that it uses white flour and degerminated corn meal, not whole grains. Whole grains are much healthier for our birds. When I used to make birdie bread, I used whole wheat flour and whole corn meal (Arrowhead and Hodgson's are two brands available at natural foods stores, or in bulk bins), and made it from scratch not including baking powder. It really doesn't take much more time than using a mix.
Reta

P.S. - plus Jiffy mix has sugar in it I'm pretty sure, also not a good ingredient for the birds.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I will try that recipe, I made Mommas Birdie bread, Hadji loved it Cabo turned up her nose as usual, and Ollie ate 2 entire muffins, and later threw the up on my carpet. No more BB for the Ollister.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts