Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 14.3%
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can't decide what to feed my p'let. I've heard pellets can cause kidney problems (especially in color mutations) but I've heard seeds can be too fatty. What do you feed your p'let as it's main food source? (I know they need a bit of everything). Please post your answer on the poll but if you have any comments, please add them too.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've started mixing pellets, and seeds together and Kai likes it a lot better. Of course, he gets all that other goodies too (veggies, millet, rice cake, bread etc)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Paulie gets a mix, and I put pellets in his "birdie bread which his has for breakfats along with Proteen Eggd food and bee pollen. And he gets other things such as ssweet potato and bell pepper seeds. He and I have a deal. I eat the bell pepper and he gets the seeds....viola- no waste!

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Chipper gets lots of good foods. I made her a new recipe today. Banana's, sweet potato, apples and apple sauce, carrots and oats. She loves to eat her fruits and veggies in baked goods! I sometimes add pellets and seed. She doesn't eat many pellets or seed plain. She likes millet if she is in the mood. She eats nutriberries, popcorn, and many things. I try to have many diff. varieties of food for her.

Trudy, my little doggie loves the new "cookies" too. SO good for them both.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Bitsy doesn't get pellets since he's a Pacific mutation. There are differing opinions on feeding pellets to mutations, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. He gets a mix of 2 premium seeds; homemade birdie bread; fresh fruits and veggies and whole grains; and thanks to a generous friend - lots of new seed mixtures to try (all filled with incredibly nutritious things!). He eats very well!

·
Registered
373 Posts
I couldn't really pick from the poll options because I give a whole variety of foods. I guess you can say that the one thing that's consistent would be his pellets. There's a lot of debate going on about mutation Parrotlets and pellets, but I feed him very little of it on a daily basis, and he sometimes has too much of other fresh foods to even worry about them. I believe in variety.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Although I picked 'mainly pellets', reality is pellets as a base and a wide variety of other foods. The type of pellets we use is Harrison's fine or extra fine.

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I picked mainly pellets. But their diet consits of fruity zupreem pellets, tropican pellets, and a seed/nut/dried fruit mix. Equal amounts of each.

Then they get whatever we're having for supper usually, and some baked item in the mornings (muffins made just for them usually). They get their fresh foods at night mostly and some odd thigns thrown in during the day sometimes.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I had to vote 'Mainly Seed' purely because the seed mix is the one item I have available to my P'let at all times.

As others stated - 'Variety' as far as I can tell is the best way to go.

I also feed Pellets but in a smaller quantity than seed roughly 20% - I feed the pellets daily when my P'let is out with me and he eats them readily - [I use Harrison's Fine].

My last Parrot was on a mostly Pellet died but from reading on Parrotlets I decided against it.

Daily menu:
Seed Mix (Small Parrot with Safflower & some Sunflower – always available)
Veggie Mix (Mainly Broccoli, Carrot, Peas, Green Beans) different vegetables mixed in occasionally.
Oatmeal (Plain & Cooked - Plain always available)
Dinner (some of what is on the human menu)
Some kind of fruit (Mainly Apple, Banana, Orange & Kiwi)

Throughout the week added are Baked goods - egg - Grains (wheat bread etc) - nuts (Peanuts, Almond etc - non salted) and Bird treats.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wendell gets a pellet diet primarily (roudybush nibbles) with limited amounts of canary grass, safflower seeds, oats and groats, and a few sunflower seeds (his absolute favorite and indispensable training tool) as well as raw pea pods and carrots clipped to the bars of his cage. He usually has a long and involved intimate chat with his carrots for up to 30 minutes before he attacks them.....always entertaining

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Stephen,

I like your description of the 'involved intimate chat' - That's funny!

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Wendall is really a smart little bird just like people are different so are p'let's from what you say Wendal is the Steven Hawking of our group. I love the list you posted of all the things he says ...can I have him? please??????lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts