Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Norman was fine this morning, then I noticed he was unwell as soon as I got home this afternoon. He was sitting at the bottom of the cage, weak, lethargic and regurgitating. At the vet, we ruled out respiratory problems and concussion, and after crop and fecal testing, he was found to have this disease. It is luckily treatable, but can be fatal if left untreated. I was so worried, and I still am. I hope I can have him home and well soon, but he is getting good care at the vet overnight.
has anyone‘s parrotlet had this??

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
Oh my goodness! Well there’s a scare! Good for you for responding so quickly and not wasting time. When they are showing illness, they are already quite ill and they are masters at hiding it.

Kiwi had a gastric yeast infection years ago which I think might be the same as this (if I recall correctly, the “yeast” is actually a fungus). She was at the vet in an incubator for a number of days receiving treatment and I was sent home with a medication. She was pretty sick at the time but recovered fully to become an 18 year old stinker still going strong. I posted about it when it was happening - I am heading out the door right now but will look it up when I am back later today.

I will keep wee Norman in my prayers but I feel confident your quick action will lead to positive results. I please keep us posted!!

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
My guys have not had that one. Any clue where he picked it up from?

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that Norman is sick. It is good to hear that Macrorhabdus is treatable if caught early. I have never heard of it before. Thank goodness Norman has a mommy that is quick thinking and fast moving! Great getting him to the vets right away! Time can be of the essence when these little guys get sick. Please keep us posted on how he is doing. Sending you {{Hugs}}

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you everyone - good news!! Norman is a lot better today and got to come home. He’s still a bit shaky, and will be on meds to treat the infection for a month, as well as some painkillers temporarily and some antibiotics. He is a lot more perky after being reunited with his partner! My other two birds are also being given the medication as it is highly likely they also have a bit of the yeast in them as well.
@ginziputzi that sounds like just the same thing! I’m so glad kiwi was fine eventually too, and now going 18 years strong!! That must be a good sign for Norman too.
As for where he picked it up, we’re not sure. The vet said that he may have had it in him for a long time, since even before I got him, but it has suddenly affected him a lot more. I always thought he was just a small bird, but he is underweight and that can be explained by the yeast, as it’s sort of a parasite and stops them from taking in nutrients from their food.
Norman is already responding well to treatment, so I’m very optimistic about his recovery!

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
I am so happy to read this news this morning! I found a number of discussions in Your Parrotlet’s Health about Kiwi’s gastric yeast infection if you want to check them out. They are mid-November 2014, so 8 years ago! Can’t believe it has been that long. She’s never had a repeat so that’s good.

My vet at the time said her PH could have been off as a potential cause of the infection. She did recommend a thorough disinfecting of her cage and contents to be on the safe side and I scrubbed that thing before she came home and replaced all her soft perches. I always keep her cage clean everyday but you should have seen the production when I was prepping for her ti come home. Lol!

I am so happy Norman is on track and there is a plan to manage it. I am sure he will make a full recovery especially with the incredible care you give to him. I had to administer Kiwi’s meds with a dropper into her beak and as she is full flight, she literally knew the exact times and managed to fly to the top of the kitchen cabinets every time! Silly bird!

Keep us posted on his progress!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
That is wonderful news! :) Norman must be ecstatic to be home again, and you must be feeling so relieved! Without a doubt, getting him to the vets early saved his life.

I was just wondering - have you ever heard about Apple Cider Vinegar helping to clear up yeast infections? It is supposed to help to establish a normal pH balance within the gastrointestinal tract. I know there are people on the forum that give ACV periodically to their birds as a preventative. I can’t remember how much – just that you have to be careful not to give too much, or for too long, or else it can destroy the gut’s good bacteria. If you tried this, you would need to make sure your bird was drinking it – some may not like the taste. Anyway, I just thought I would mention it. Something you can ask your vet about, if you feel like it. I would be interested in what they had to say. Of course, after Norman and the other birds are done with the meds. I never gave ACV to Cleopatra and probably wouldn't have without checking with my vet first.

I am so glad that Norman is okay! Give him a few scritches for me! Tell him they are from his Auntie Anya! ;)

·
Super Moderator
3,573 Posts
I will have to go back to those posts from when Kiwi had it. Now that you mention apple cider vinegar, I remember the vet recommending adding a bit to her water for awhile. I can’t remember how much either - I would likely have said how much in my posts because I am never short on detail. 😱

·
Administrator
5,235 Posts
Do you use plastic coop cups (feeder bowls)?
There is a known issue with the plastic cups they sell with the cages. They are porous, hard to clean, allow yeast and other things to stay in them. Many bird folk use stainless because of this.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn’t know about the time plastic cup thing, that’s so interesting. I clean them with warm water and soap everyday, especially because of Norman’s infection. But I do have some stainless steel ones though so I might change them.
I’ll have a look into giving them the apple cider vinegar too, but I might wait until I see the vet. Luckily Norman is recovering so well!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts