Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone seen something like this before? It looks like there’s something growing or embedded in the corner/base of his beak. When I touched it it started to bleed.
I have an appointment booked with the vet but it’s not for a few days. Thank you!

Bird Beak Parrot Finger Feather
Bird Parrot Beak Feather Wing
Bird Beak Parrot Feather Parakeet

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Does it look like a wort to you? I went online and found that birds can get wort like growths called Papillomas. They can occur in the commissure of the beak – which is where your birds growth looks like it's near. I am not sure if this is what your bird has or not and unfortunately there are no medical experts on this forum. Only an avian vet will be able to determine what it is for sure, so I am glad you are taking them in to be looked at. (y)
Here are the articles I found –

Papillomas

Papillomas in Birds - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

Is your bird eating okay? You may want to weigh them daily using a (food) scale just to make sure he/she is not losing any weight. It is best to weigh them first thing in the morning before breakfast. Keep track of it daily to give to your doctor. If you don’t mind, please let us know what the vet says and how your little birdie is doing. I hope your little cutie is okay!

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I have never seen anything like that before. Excellent call to have an avian vet look at it. I am certainly no expert (nor, as Anya mentioned, an avian vet) but I did have a sweet little canary who ended up with beak cancer but it was a black discolouration on her beak close to where the nares are. It didn’t look anything like that. I am hoping that is reassuring for you and is confirmed by your vet. Please let us know how it goes. This would be very helpful for other parrotlet owners to know about.

He’s such a handsome little fella!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey everyone, thank you so much for your time spent reading and replying to my post. I was able to get him to our vet this afternoon. She said it seemed like a keratin growth maybe related to a feather follicle (apparently the growth is made up of a horn-like material) but wasn’t certain exactly what it is. She’s removing it tomorrow and sending it to the lab. I’ll update this post when the results are back in ten days.

Otherwise he’s been acting and eating normally. I’ll start weighing him routinely so any changes in behaviour can be caught early. Thanks again!

·
Administrator
5,088 Posts
Yes, please keep us posted. If it is just a keratin growth it should be easier resolvable and not cause an issue in the future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts