Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Lots of basic questions

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  mk2121s 
#1 ·
I'm starting to get worried.:( I have had my parrotlet Skittles for almost 2 weeks but he still doesn't want to come out of his cage and shows no interest in me. Is this normal?:confused: I took out his mirrors. Are there any other "bad" toys I should know about? He loves looking out windows, so his cage is next to a window which he likes to look at, is that ok? What is the normal amount of time adopted when parrotlets start to come out of their cage to play with the owner? When I do try to get him out I have him step up, he does this but then steps back onto his perch, i give him millet too, and leave the doors open, and also talk to him. I think he is eating enough, he doesn't eat all of his food and is NOT interested n his fruits and veggies or his cuttlebone. I give him 1 tbs of the following in a food bowl:
-cockatiel seed
-black oil sunflowers
-canary seed
I dont give him pellets because i hear that that is bad for mutations. I started out giving him 2 tbs of everything but he wasn't eating all of it and he still isn't eating all his food. In particular he doesn't eat the sunflower seed. He is pooping so i must be doing something right?
Am I? Is this stuff normal?:(

#2 ·
Every parrotlet is different, so you won't be getting any definite answers... What I can say is that the more you interact with your bird, talk, incentive him to play, the more he will start to trust you and feel included in the family. It can take months depending on your bird's level of shyness.

I got my non-hand tame parrotlet to start coming out of the cage by leaving her treats outside of the cage (I open the door and install rope perches leading outside, so it's easy for her to come out). First I'd leave the treats right by the door, then I slowly moved then further and further away from the entrance. I do this with the millet spray and sunflower seeds. In the beginning she would complain, beg for the treats, but with time she realized that it was safe to go outside of the cage for her yum yums. Now she comes right out whenever I open the door, and while she doesn't stay out for long (just when she feels like, not often), she's lost the fear after a few weeks of me doing this to her.

I've never tried millet training but I hear it works really well, you can search it on you tube or other treads here in this forum.

Regarding eating veggies and fruits, you'll probably just need to keep offering different things everyday and observing what your parrotlet goes for. Both of my parrotlets LOVE broccoli and broccoli sprouts (alfafa sprouts worked too). Even my non-hand tame parrotlet loves broccoli, and I'm pretty sure she was never taught to eat fresh fruits and veggies for the first 6 months of her life, so I recommend that you give it a try... Just don't get discouraged, it takes patience with these little fellows! They can be stubborn :)

#3 ·
Sounds like you're on the right track:) Just be patient. It took my untamed p'lets about 1 month before they would step up. But each p'let is different... Noodle took a steady 2 months before coming out of the cage. Indi is more adventurous and took her just under a month to come out and start doing tricks. But this is me working with them throughout the whole day since my boss allowed me to quarantine my new birds at work (heehee, good excuse to take breaks and work with the birds:) ).

Sounds like you're giving enough food, especially if he's not finishing it. During training, I limit my guys to 1 tbsp of my mix of seed/pellets per day and then 1 tbsp of fresh; but then I only give it after training is done. Also, this prevents my guys from picking out their favorites and leaving behind the other stuff... since they're not always keen on the fresh foods. Jinx took to fresh foods quickly, Indi did too since she saw Jinx eating it (she's a foodie), Noodle is still sort of picking at the stuff sometimes and it's been about 1 year now. Took me 3 years to introduce pellets to my tiel, another 2 years for fresh foods and she'll only eat it if I make it sound interesting or good first. So definitely PATIENCE is the key:)

#4 ·
You need to have lots of patience and give your bird time, lots of time, to get used to his new life. 2 weeks really isn't very much time. We don't trust and love a person we just met; I imagine these little birds feel the same way. He's got to be sure you're his friend and that he's NOT your dinner!

Go slowly, at HIS pace, he'll come around. It could take MONTHS, not weeks, please keep that in mind. Take care of him, give him treats and toys, clean his cage, talk softly to him and don't force him. Some day, when he runs to you as fast as he can, and chirps to get your attention, oh my, it'll all be worth it!!!!

As far as the fruits and veggies goes, you need to just keep offering them every day or so, whether he eats them or not. It took my first P'let 3 MONTHS to all of a sudden start gobbling down fruit and/or veggies! It took my Conure a couple of months to start eating fruit.

Time and patience are the keys here! In the meantime, please read some of the older threads in the different sections of this forum. There's lots of good information and lots of tips that can help you.

#6 ·
It takes a little time.dont rush it. also I looked at his cage seems to have way to much stuff try to de clutter it so when you do get him on your finger he doesnt have as much to grab on to. he will bond with you.this is my first p'let but i have had many birds in my life and they all need time. i you try to rush it does more harm than good. nice to see someone from mass. im in mass also

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.