TalkParrotlets.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow ! This year is starting off bad! A new strain of Virus is among us and my relatives are thinning out! I guess I have to expect that as I age.
My Uncle Richard passed away last night. He was the last of my uncles on my mother's side. My mother's mom had 17 children ( 3 had died before they were 2 years old), so this left 14 children. 7 boys and 7 girls. All the boys had worked at one time or another in the West Virginia coal mines and served in the armed forces during WWII or the Korean War. All survived the wars! Each one used the GI Bill to further their education and made something of themselves.
Uncle Richard was 93years old ! He was a true " Hillbilly! "
I have 2 Aunts left. They are in their 80's.

When Richards wife called me, we talked about Richard. She said that he kept the gift I sent him 30 years ago and looked at it every day. I had wood burned an image of an old hillbilly standing next to his moonshine still. The old man had a shotgun in his hands and a caption above him said, " Anyone found here at night,,,Will be found here in the morning! " He loved that gift and I loved that man! He gave me my first guitar!

He will be dearly missed!

David and Vicki:(:(

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I'm so sorry for your loss, David. This has been one of the most difficult years in so many ways.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Sorry for you loss David.

This made me think back to when my parents who were in their 60's moved to a 55+ community. It was difficult for them to hear of so many passing in their community. They had to realize that in a group like that of older people there would be a more concentrated amount of deaths.

It is hard to realize as we get older that our loved ones get older as well. Im understanding how special our time is with our loved ones.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for you loss David.

This made me think back to when my parents who were in their 60's moved to a 55+ community. It was difficult for them to hear of so many passing in their community. They had to realize that in a group like that of older people there would be a more concentrated amount of deaths.

It is hard to realize as we get older that our loved ones get older as well. Im understanding how special our time is with our loved ones.
I think about Vicki and me and how old we are getting. I also think of the friends I used to know, but are gone! Besides relatives passing on, all the musicians I grew up listening to are gone! All the past movie stars and entertainers are gone. It all amazes me about how many people's names I have known and now, they are gone.

All this makes me feel closer to who I have left! Vicki and I are closer now than any other time in our 47 year marriage. She is my rock and I am the pedestal she stands on! I am one lucky man!

David:)

·
Registered
273 Posts
You are certainly lucky to have such a strong bond and base for the 2 of you to continue on. I am so sorry for your loss. I completely understand your post. I believe we are close to the same age. All the icons of my youth are swiftly leaving us. Most of my relatives are gone, that includes cousins from my own generation. I only have my 95 year old mother left. She is driving me crazy. She lives totally alone and refuses any help except from me. (I am an only child). I am, of course, happy that she is still driving me crazy though. Please stay safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts