Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
My female has started loosing feathers on her head. It started more near the neck and then moved upwards toward the top of her head. Right now she's pretty much missing the entire back of her head and a bit on top, but not the sides. Does anyone know what this is??
She does have a mate but he has never overpreaned her before and I have been watching him lately and he doesn't seem to be doing it excessively or ripping her feathers out. He himself is not showing any signs of feather loss on his head.

Is she just molting or is this some sort of disorder? The female is just over a year and a half old. Any help would be appreciated. I attached a picture of it below.

Thanks in advance!
:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Her mate is the culprit, as she can't do that to herself. :)

I've seen this a lot when pairs mate, the males hold onto the head feathers of the female for balance. That could be what's going on. I also have one male lovebird who will preen his mate's head completely bald! She is not allowed to have feathers there at all! I've seen him do it and it doesn't seem to bother her at all. She just looks a bit odd.....

·
Registered
127 Posts
I think it is the mate as well

·
Registered
11,181 Posts
Well, you will know if it's the mate causing the problems if you separate them and the feathers grow back...

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Yes, looks like the mate is pulling out her feathers to me too. If you're worried it might be a health condition, a visit to your avain vet would be in order.

Good luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
i was in the same boat about four days ago i thought my female might of been doing it to my male usually it is the female from what i have heard who does it to the male but that is when using it as a soft lining for the nest but i would also agree its the mat, and chuck never pulls feathers out when mating but hey different techniques i guess !!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts