Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anything I could get for Willie that’s a natural probiotic like yogurt is a natural probiotic for people? I do know I can’t give him yogurt just using that as an example. wondering if there’s anything I could get that’s natural for birds? I looked at a Nekton brand for birds but I would have to waste a lot of it because I have just one bird. The directions for the Nekton one makes a big batch and I don’t need a big batch. I just want to give him something once in a while. I’ve heard about apple cider vinegar but I believe it’s not really a probiotic I think it just kills the bacteria.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Because birds aren't mammals, they need different probiotics than what's commonly found in human foods and supplements. I think there are a few avian probiotic formulas out there. Here are links to the two that I've tried:

There's also this one:

·
Super Moderator
4,893 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you use the reptile and bird gel one? I’ve looked at most of them and what’s odd is they all have large administering doses. One of the probiotics instructions said to put a scoop of the powder on a whole cup of moist food. Well what do you do if you only have just one little bird?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is there anything I could get for Willie that’s a natural probiotic like yogurt is a natural probiotic for people? I do know I can’t give him yogurt just using that as an example. wondering if there’s anything I could get that’s natural for birds? I looked at a Nekton brand for birds but I would have to waste a lot of it because I have just one bird. The directions for the Nekton one makes a big batch and I don’t need a big batch. I just want to give him something once in a while. I’ve heard about apple cider vinegar but I believe it’s not really a probiotic I think it just kills the bacteria.
This Is The One Our Vet Also Recommended , Same That Bluewing And Ozzie Mentioned . It's Small Only 15 Gram Tube .
Office supplies Writing implement Test tube Font Medical equipment

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This Is The One Our Vet Also Recommended , Same That Bluewing And Ozzie Mentioned . It's Small Only 15 Gram Tube . View attachment 47170
It looks like a really good one but the instructions are “very” vague! It’s saying feed a 1/2 gram to small animals but didn’t say how small. I personally think a 1/2 of a gram for a Parrotlet might be to much? I want to mix it in soft food for him.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It looks like a really good one but the instructions are “very” vague! It’s saying feed a 1/2 gram to small animals but didn’t say how small. I personally think a 1/2 of a gram for a Parrotlet might be to much? I want to mix it in soft food for him.
[/QUO
Hi Kathy & Willie ... Our Vet Stated Just A 1/4 Turn Is Enough Per His Instructions .

·
Super Moderator
4,893 Posts
Not a gram. Both my avian vets recommended about a pea size portion once a day with a sick bird. A couple times a week with a healthy bird is good. Jules liked it so it was not much of a problem. I put a pea size portion on my finger and rub it on her beak and she would eat it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts