Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all!
We got our parrotlet 3 weeks ago
So every time I go to get the bird out of her cage she bites, it has gotten much much better than the first days home, at the beginning she would bite hard and let out a screech, and now just gives a little nibble most of the time.
Once I do have her on me she will usually climb to my shoulder and play around, sometimes nibble on my beard stubble or hair lol, or just stay snuggled near my neck.
The end goal is to train her to step up/fly to me along with some other tricks but I'd like to have her feel comfortable with me picking her up to start. I feel like she is stressed every time we go get her. Any tips? I've tried offering food or fresh/dried fruit or millet but it doesn't seem to change much or get her to come to me, haven't found a treat she will eat from my hand yet. Any advice is appreciated, thanks !!

·
Super Moderator
6,666 Posts
It sounds like you are doing a good job already! What you described is her being pretty accepting of you, sitting on your shoulder and trying to preen your beard. Parrotlets are a feisty little bunch, even super bonded ones can get quite an attitude and be bitey. It's pretty normal, don't feel like you're doing anything wrong. You can just keep working with them however I did have one parrotlet who was just a little brat no matter what I did. It was her personality. She was also the sweetest when she wanted to be and have the biggest personality so it's kind of a trade-off. As for treats and fresh foods and vegetables just keep trying, eventually she will start to eat them!

·
Super Moderator
6,666 Posts
Oh one other thing, when birds are stepping up it's common for them to reach out with their beak and kind of grab your finger but it's not a bite shouldn't hurt really. Think of their beak like a little hand, they use it to test things out make sure they are secure or stable etc

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
The human hand is a monster to most young parrotlets. Never approach them with your hand above/over top of their heads. Always have your hand below their head and come up to them.

Dave

·
Registered
903 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum! What is your little girl’s name? She sounds like a sweet little thing! 😊

They recommend that you get your bird used to your hands inside their cage first before you let them out of their cage – to avoid having to force them to do something they do not want to do. I understand that you want to take her out so you can bond with her - they are so stinking cute - but right now, teaching your bird to voluntarily step up onto your hand in her cage is an important step in gaining your bird’s trust.

You mentioned she is not taking millet or treats from your hands. The problem may not be the food, but that she is still afraid of your hands. A lot of people have found that using millet is a successful technique to help overcome that fear. By offering her a long sprig of millet at one end (in her cage) while holding the other end and gradually over time moving your hand closer and closer will eventually have her eating out of your fingers or hand. Some birds learn this in a few days, and others can take weeks. With these little guys everything is on their time, not ours! If you are not a patient person, you may learn to be owning a bird! lol Also, during training be sure to watch your birds body language. If they try to bite you or move away that means they want you to leave them alone. Take time out and try it again later. If at any time during the millet technique you have moved your hand a little closer to her and she is not comfortable with that, move your hand back to where it previously was, she is not ready yet. You do not want to force a bird to do something it is not ready to do. Move at their pace. You did not say how old your bird is, but if she is a baby, be sure to keep training to a minimum of 5-10 minutes, 2 to 3 times a day (whatever she is okay with).

Have fun with the training – never let it get tedious. Birds will only do something if there is something in it for them so make sure you have something to motivate them – treats work with most birds, but praises and scritches can work too! They are so smart and so much fun. Post a picture, we would love to see your baby.

Good luck and let us know how it is going!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Oh one other thing, when birds are stepping up it's common for them to reach out with their beak and kind of grab your finger but it's not a bite shouldn't hurt really. Think of their beak like a little hand, they use it to test things out make sure they are secure or stable etc
I agree with above. They are like little tripods. 🤣 The baby’s even more so getting their balance.
Im not sure without seeing / more info, but from personal experience, what to me is nothing other than using his little beak to step up (which got lighter and less often as he aged), was excruciating to my boyfriend. I found that interesting. Also, mine stopped about 90% of biting when wings grew in. I think he was scared coming from breeder with wings clipped, taking away his natural ability to communicate and say “no” by flying away. He is like a different bird now. Controversial topic, but flighted a what works for me and my baby. Everyone is different.
Communication training promotes so many opportunities for your little one to have some control. Choosing his foods, toys, games. It really makes a world of difference if you’re interested. Best of luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The human hand is a monster to most young parrotlets. Never approach them with your hand above/over top of their heads. Always have your hand below their head and come up to them.

Dave
I’ve notice that my bird doesn’t always connect my hands to my face. Face first so she knows it’s me, then she’s fine with my hands. Hands first - get those monsters out of MY home!

·
Super Moderator
4,893 Posts
I agree with above. They are like little tripods. 🤣 The baby’s even more so getting their balance.
Im not sure without seeing / more info, but from personal experience, what to me is nothing other than using his little beak to step up (which got lighter and less often as he aged), was excruciating to my boyfriend. I found that interesting. Also, mine stopped about 90% of biting when wings grew in. I think he was scared coming from breeder with wings clipped, taking away his natural ability to communicate and say “no” by flying away. He is like a different bird now. Controversial topic, but flighted a what works for me and my baby. Everyone is different.
Communication training promotes so many opportunities for your little one to have some control. Choosing his foods, toys, games. It really makes a world of difference if you’re interested. Best of luck!
I noticed the same about bites, especially navigating bites and informative bites. They seem to hurt me less than others like my wife and my mother. Some I think is just me. But some I think has to do with confidence and surety. I sort of have a saying. To avoid a bite you must be willing to take the bite. The point being my acceptance and willingness to be bitten translates into less biting and less intense bites. Maybe my lack of reaction to the possibility of being bitten makes for a surer footing as a bird perches and moves over me.

Reactions: Georgie’s Mom

·
Super Moderator
6,666 Posts
I noticed the same about bites, especially navigating bites and informative bites. They seem to hurt me less than others like my wife and my mother. Some I think is just me. But some I think has to do with confidence and surety. I sort of have a saying. To avoid a bite you must be willing to take the bite. The point being my acceptance and willingness to be bitten translates into less biting and less intense bites. Maybe my lack of reaction to the possibility of being bitten makes for a surer footing as a bird perches and moves over me.
I think sometimes the fear of the beak is worse than the bite for "guests" LOL either that or they don't know what a real bite feels like and they are just weak hahahaha

1 - 9 of 9 Posts