Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I did a thread search and didn't see anything up to date so here goes my question: My little green meanie (Jewel) has become quite cuddly and sweet, her beaking stage is just about done, and she has learned her manners (with me at least) and I am working on harness training. I don't want to disturb our bond so I am taking it very slowly, using food lures to get her used to putting her head into and around it. She is super used to hands, and loves to be cupped in my hands and even DEMANDS that I grab her head between my fingers for a total head massage all over. Like it's really something, no other bird has ever been this cuddly and demanding of such contact.

So anyway, I don't want to spoil that by pushing a harness on her too much too soon, but I still want to take her on short trips to visit family who would love her, and bring her to my job once in a while to keep me company when I have short days. she would only spend 3-4 hours in it at a time, and only once or twice a week AT MOST.

The eventual goal would be to use that and a harness to go for longer outings. Right now her wings are clipped, so I'm ok with taking a few more risks with where we go, but I intend to let her be flighted again after the next molt, so I want to be really secure with her cage. I want something that will NOT open, or break apart under reasonable use. I want something that will give her access to her environment (IE let me put treats through bars for example).

I do NOT want one of those canvas carry cases, I have one for emergency travel to and from the vet, but those aren't really what I want. someone might sit on it or something stupid. Though I would be ok with putting a small travel cage in a bigger canvas one to make it more secure when walking around.

Can anyone recommend a good Parrotlet safe travel cage that will give her some room to breathe, but not be a burden? But most importantly SAFE and SECURE?

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
First of all, it is delightful to hear how well you and Jewel have bonded. There is nothing more special (to me) than these fragile little birds trusting us enough to curl up in our hands to get scritches and massages, often closing their eyes during the process. It has awed and honoured me for Kiwi’s entire life with me. It is a gift to be cherished for sure.

When I got Kiwi from the pet store, I purchased the cage she was already in. I use it now for her travelcage and her sleep cage. It is nothing special - it’s a Hagen budgie cage. When I use it for travel - or when she is out in the world with me particularly with strangers or children around - I used a small luggage lock on the door of her cage to prevent it from popping open or from bold hands who try to open it (mostly kids but adults have done this too for some bizarre reason). The lock deters as well. I have had it for 18 years without incident and she used to come literally everywhere with me (car shows, friends and relatives homes, random drives). it is compact enough to put a seat belt around it in the back seat too.

I don’t take her with me as much now as she’s an old lady now, but honestly, with COVID and then moving to our cottage permanently, we don’t really go that far either. She is very familiar with this little cage and is quite comfortable in it for weekend trips and the like. It isn’t as big as her usual day cage but she doesn’t seem to mind. I don’t put toys in it for safety reasons (motion in the car mostly) and also because it is her sleep cage. It has worked perfectly for us for a long time.

i have always been very curious about harnesses. I have always feared them hurting a wing with them but I have seen them work on social media. Maybe it really is going very slow with it, like anything else I suppose. Please keep us posted on your progress with that as well.

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
I bought what was called a budgie show cage. It is a metal cage about 9 x9. My guys travel in this a lot. We travel three hours almost every other weekend. The only time I have ever seen my guy bathe is in this water dish lol.
Product Pet supply Bird supply Wood Gas

cage

1 - 3 of 3 Posts