Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tofu is nearing the one year mark here in the next couple months. We got her in October and her hatch day was around June 10th ( so got her at 4 months; just passed the 10 month mark currently). She was going through a big molt when we got her- she never really stopped molting? It slowed down a bit and then started up again. I asked the vet about this last time we were in and she said the midwest USA has been seeing weirdly long molts in domestic birds for some reason, probably weather related. Tofu is in that wierd state where she's throwing tantrums becasue she's growing up and also shes about to lose her set of flight feathers that were clipped so shes just flapping away (we call it the little humming bird) other than that though she seems very healthy. She's not plucking and even started playing with toys! I just feel so bad becasue I feel like shes been molting forever. Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
Hi~ It all depends on how much feathers the molt is causing your bird to lose. There are many reasons why they molt, besides the reason that is natural. Diet and humidity and temperature can cause molting, along with stress or being frightened ( shock molt). There is a perpetual molt that a p'lett can have. My Bogie had the perpetual molt all his life. It wasn't bad and he looked normal. But, he did lose feathers all the time.( Not just normal loosing of the feathers, but a little extra). Bogie never went through a regular molt, ever! He maintained his feather coat all year long.

Your birdie is approaching the terrible two's syndrome. Her hormones are getting stronger and she may get a little bitey and temperamental for a while as she matures.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
4,742 Posts
Jules seems to be in a continual molt since we got her back in 2013. Just sometimes it is worse than others.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts