Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since July we have had many promising moments, but for the last 5 days it has not looked very promising that she will revive again. She went to the vet on thurs...the vet said that she did not look good. She gave her electrolytes and iron...said she looked anemic. She suggested euthanasia. I said I was not ready and wanted her to die w me. I discussed this w my breeder, who tried helping us.
This is the question, she shakes, stumbles all over, she is very weak...I have been feeding her baby bird food , and other baby foods, which she seems to like...force fed w syringe.....but she is not eating enough seeds on her own.
I am keeping her alive w the feedings , and meds she is still on....
Mostly I keep her in a little nap sack around my neck ...she always wants to be w me. She sleeps on the towel covered floor in her cage ..at night...in the napsack .The vet said this is not a good bird life. I know she is probably going to leave me...and I know it is not a normal bird life...she was a little power house when she was well....she was such fun and a great pet.
PLEASE HELP if you have been down this road....If there is a chance for her to revive again...I want to give it to her....but I don't want to prolong agony for her. I want what is best for her. She is the most precious little angel...and of course I want to keep her with me...but I want what is best for her.
She did a little better after the shot the vet gave her...but it's been downhill since then...she has basically tried eating on her own, but too weak to get enough . As I have said she has been down and then up...acting pretty normal...then shaky and down again....this time I am not seeing much normal behavior. What would you do ??????
She is only 3yo....so cute ....my one and only parrotlet...and I love her to pieces.
BUT....I want to do what is right for her......Thanks.....Roxy

·
Registered
4,498 Posts
Roxy my heart goes out to you---seems to be a very critical situation. I've cried when any of my birds died----but when ready, I got another one. I'll never be without my bird(s).
A vet recommended wing amputation for a tumor on my beloved male budgie and made his situation worse. I don't go to him anymore. Never get talked into something like that!

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Oh my dear Roxy. From my perspective after reading your post, it is time to let go. You are not letting HER go because she will always be with you, you are letting go of this part of her journey. The way I see it is - whatever reason she was given the gift of experiencing this form of life, she has fulfilled it and it is time for her to continue her journey elsewhere. I firmly believe that you were meant to be together. That type of bond is something more than any human explanation can define - we call it love, but it really has no label. It does not end with the passing of a loved one from this life. I am sure you feel at a spiritual level that she is leaving and the human in you is all that is resisting...but I think the spiritual you knows there is nothing to fear and that your energies are so interconnected that there can be no such thing as you being apart. You can call it anything you want - spiritual for me is the best way to describe it - that feeling that you can't define in relation to your physical self - your "heart" as we tend to call it. So while your head resists, your heart knows and unencumbered by the thoughts in your mind, your heart is not afraid. I don't mean to sound odd, rather I am trying to help you find peace with what is very natural in this life. I ached too when I read your post. So filled with love and devotion. Carrying that little bird in a knapsack around your neck. Tsk. What incredible love and gentleness. Anguish does not belong there. You are such a gift to this world Roxy. Your little baby was so blessed to have you as are we. You have touched me to the very core with that post so filled with emotion - even though it is only black letters in a white screen. That intensity of love that pops up even on a computer screen will never be severed - whether she is here or on the next part of her journey. Never. She will never be gone but she will be at peace. And so will you - I mean, your head will always ask "what if" but your heart won't. So I cannot tell you what her future is in this life - whether she can be revived and how she will live out her days. But I can tell you I feel her passing all around you - like a doorway that has opened - and you are the only one who is holding her here. Whatever decision you make will be the right one - that is why you were blessed with having her. My gentle advice to you is to recognize that your fear is driving you at the moment. Lay it down and let the love you have together make the decision. My heart is with you both. Do let us know what you decide and know we are here for you.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Oh, Roxy, Im so sorry. This is very difficult. Its so hard to let them go, but when a life is more about pain, than about joy...sometimes, it is the kindest thing we can do for them. Its an agonizing decision. Do what you feel in your heart is right, for Lilly. (((hugs)))

·
Super Moderator
12,210 Posts
My heart is breaking with yours and I cried when I read this post and with all the answers. I am so sorry. I remember when you first joined the forum she was not doing to well.

She is one loved little birdie but I think it may be time to let her go to Rainbow Bridge and fly high like she was meant to do. Then when it's in your heart open it up to another little one who needs the same love and compassion you gave to Lily. She is one lucky little birdie.

With that said you know in your heart what is best for Lily and when you know it's right you will do what's right and not let her suffer.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
What beautiful words you have received here. This is truly a difficult decision to make.

We made the decision with our dog who we had for 12 years. We could have had more time with her but the quality of her life had diminished so much, the sadness in her eyes as she looked at us. We found a wonderful vet who let us be with her for the whole procedure and we were with her holding her when she passed.

Best of luck with your decision, and remember you have a wonderful support group here.

·
Super Moderator
4,505 Posts
I went down this same road a year ago with Bo. So I truly understand what you are feeling and are going through. We did all we could for him but at one point it was obvious that while we may may extend his life some there was no long term hope. That day I sat down and Bo died sitting in my hand knowing he was loved. For while we were not ready to lose Bo he was ready to move on, so we helped him on his way. Now he waits for us at the Rainbow Bridge till we meet again and our joint travels continue. I suggest reading the Rainbow Bridge Poem to understand.
You say you are not ready to lose Lilly, we never are ready to lose those we love, but it sounds like Lilly is ready to move on, maybe it is time to help her and not hinder her on her journey. Allow her to move on to what is next and allow you to do the same. Feel free to come back here a grieve your loss and celebrate your and Lilly life together. The people on here will understand and help as only us truly weird bird people can. Eventually after a little healing time you may find it in your heart to help and love another bird (parrotlet). If so all the better, for as all know the more birds we have in this life the larger our flock in the next ;) and the one with the biggest flock wins.

Reactions: ginziputzi

·
Registered
7,783 Posts
I have had dogs over a span of many years that had to be put down, I just kind of knew it was time, you will get that feeling, when you know, you are thinking about it or you won't be asking the question. It is hard. My husband hung on with cancer fighting for his life, he would not give in till I gave him permission to go. Dr said sometimes pain will keep a human or pet alive , which is no way to live.

Your baby is loved and she knows it, she might be hanging on for you, maybe it is time to give her permission to go, that is the most unselfish kind of love.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am so sorry you have to face this. Just follow your heart and you will make the right decision. Sendind hugs and prayers to you.

·
Registered
5,685 Posts
Oh Roxy, I'm so very sorry to hear this...I'm sure most of us, if not all of us here, understand this pain...I don't know Lily personally and it pains me to hear about this. I understand your vet's advice, but as has been said, you need to go with your heart and gut, and do what feels right to you. That will be what's best for you and Lily.

You and Lily will be in my heart and my prayers!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Dear Roxy,
I can't tell you what to do but all I can do is pray for you and Lilly. I love how you show so much love to Lilly and I'm 100% sure Lilly knows she's the best and most luckiest bird in the world to receive the amount of care you have given her and continue to give her thus far.
You never know what's in store for you and Lilly. I always believe in letting nature do what nature believes is best. My best advice would be to continue to believe in Lilly and everything will work itself out. Maybe not in your favor but in Lilly's favor. Maybe in both your favor.

Best of luck

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for your words of encouragement. I have decided to stop her meds and just feed her baby food w a syringe. She sleeps and has trouble on her perches, ends up on the floor of the cage...and mostly in my arms. Don't know how she will leave me...but I see no difference when I was giving her the meds...or now. I don't know the Rainbow Bridge poem ? The thought of her not being in my life anymore is very painful....really don't know how to cope because she is so young and she was so lively...and of course cute and very loving. Its really not in my hands anymore...it's life....Ive lost 3 dogs in my life and people I have loved...but somehow this little innocent creature who depended so much on me is really making me crazy.....she had quite a personality....she did not play very much...she just loved being w us...always chirped when she heard me coming into the room or house...always wanted to be with us....I sure will miss her.....bur shes not gone yet...
I'm still hoping........Roxy

d

·
Super Moderator
4,505 Posts
Rainbow Bridge

After we lost Bo somebody pointed me to this poem. It hit a cord with me and gave me comfort. There are several flavors of this poem for different pets. This one is for birds. I tend to post it when one of our members lose a fluffy, feathery piece of their heart. I hope it brings you some comfort in this trying time. I wish you both the best and hope and pray for Lilly's recovery but if this is not to be then think about the poem below and understand that she is not truly gone, just waiting for you to catch up to her again as your journey together continues.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When a bird dies that has been especially close to someone here, that bird goes to the Rainbow Bridge. At the Rainbow Bridge, there are meadows, hills, and beautiful trees of all kinds where all our special friends can fly and climb, hang and flap, hop and run, jump and play, squawk and squeal and sing together.

There is plenty of good food, including grapes and peanuts, ice cream and cheese, spaghetti and especially lots of pizza. There is crystal clear water in brooks and springs are filled with water as well as every kind of delicious fresh fruit juice.

One warm spring even runs full of the coffee they can now drink their fill of without hearing a single no-no. There is a lot of glorious sunshine and sweet warm rain when they want it and our friends are warm and comfortable and totally at peace.

All the birds that had been ill or old are restored to health and vigour and to their natural incredible beauty. Their feathers shine, their wing feathers are whole and their eyes gleam once again with vitality. Those who were hurt, maimed, ignored, or broken-hearted are made whole again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days gone by.

The birds are happy and content. Except for one small thing: they each miss someone very special to them who had to be left behind when the bird returned home. Still they all fly and play happily and safely and noisily together: even the grouchiest greys and orneriest senegal, the tiniest finches, the grandest macaws and the sassiest of parrotlets.

But the day comes for each bird when he suddenly stops and looks far into the distance. His body freezes and his bright eyes are intent as he watches and listens in silence. Suddenly he begins to fly from the group, soaring over the green grass, his wings flapping harder and harder!

You have been spotted - and he shrieks to you and then calls your name and his own and cries again and again, as he rushes towards you.When you and your bird finally meet, you cling to each other in joyous reunion, knowing you will never be parted again.

Your face and your fingers and even your toes are covered with beak nibbles and soft ecstatic kisses. Your hair is preened by that special beak, and his head bends under your fingers to invite your touch. Your hands again find their way under beloved wings, to caress the downy softness beneath.

You look once more into the trusting eyes of your companion, so long from your physical life on earth but never for an instant absent from your heart. Your tears of joy are gently brushed away by those beloved wings and feeling immersed once more in total contentment and love, you and your beloved companion cross the Rainbow Bridge together.

Author unknown

Reactions: jeannepp

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone...

Loved the poem...
Lilly is not eating on her own...I give her syringe feedings of baby bird food and she takes it willingly...she can't walk, she tumbles from here to there...it is so hard to see this. I stopped meds ....she is losing wt. She is weak....she loves being held and she knows when I come and go....she chirps as she always used to.
There doesn't seem to be an answer as to how I can keep her alive....I don't know how to do it. Yet I don't know what it will be like to have her die with me....I don't know how to tell if she is in pain ??? I am hoping that she will just fall asleep in my hands .... but I just don't know what to expect. I am assuming that she can't go on like this for very long...this is really killing me too, watching her like this. I thought of not feeding her....but I can't do that.
Any ideas, please let me know...or similar experiences that helped.
Thanks my friends...Roxy

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts
My prayers are with you. I would ask the vet those hard questions about the mechanics of ending Lilly's suffering so that you would really know to make your decision. It is a hard decision for any animal, regardless of age. We always hope for more hope, but there is a point when hope does not remain and all we have left is pain. It is painful to lose our beloved animals, even when they have lived a longer life. You have been blessed with something few bird owners ever get although now it does not seem like a blessing - the ability to know that the time is here and to say goodbye. When Ruby my cockatiel died, she became sick for about a week. I was blessed in that I don't think she was in pain, but I do regret that I was not holding her as she died. Instead, she passed away in the night. There is no right or wrong answer here. Know that we are here for you. I don't know if you believe in God, but I know in my heart that God could not possibly allow such good that is built between our animals and ourselves to not continue forever. To look deeply into each other's eyes and share such love and trust, that is an experience that reveals to us the universe as it should be. Lilly trusts you, and she knows you will make the right decision for both of you. She knows you have cared for her and fought for her. You have given her a marvelous life, and now it is coming to an end. She gifted you with the ultimate final gift, a goodbye. I hope your heart can heal and bear to continue to share with the world those secrets that we learn staring into each other's eyes.

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
What beautiful words of love and understanding. I agree that you should speak with your vet about how to let Lilly go naturally if euthanasia is not an option for you. When my canary Daisy was put to sleep (she had cancer), I held her in my hands when the vet administered it i spoke softly to her that she was loved. As her little body relaxed, I found so did my heart. I have put a number of precious pets to sleep over my life - all with me beside them, holding them, stroking them, telling them how much they are loved. My mother had the ultimate blessing of our 19 year old cat dying naturally in her favourite spot by a hear register while mother (whom Tabitha adored) stroke her and sang to her. When my little feathered ones have passed from this life, I imagine their little souls leaving their bodies and their wings stretching out in joyful flight - no longer weak and encumbered by sickness or pain. They fly joyfully into a brilliant blue sky with the warm sun shining brightly and my heart flies with them. My thoughts and prayers are with you both. You have a very special place in my heart and Lilly will live on in my heart too. I am with you and Lilly in this painful time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks so much...it's nice to know others understand how much you can love a sweet little parrotlet.....she is hanging in....the vet did explain how she could euthanize her...but did not advise me what to do at home. It's not an easy thing to watch her so frail, when she was so vigorous and happy just 4 mos ago....it's been up and down for her....and very up and down for me.... wish I knew how to get her picture next to my posts ??? I know it's somewhere here, but ????? Roxy and Lilly

1 - 20 of 69 Posts