Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

How long do you expose your bird to a UV light? (You can select a time frame and a frequency)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Kelvin number aside, recommendations on UV lighting varies from 10 hours a day of self regulating (The bird will enter or leave the cone of light as required/wished by the bird), to only 2 hours or less a day to prevent eye/skin damage. Thoughts anyone?

PS: I got a zoo med light from a business that has taken care of birds for decades. The fixture takes the T5 linear 12" bulbs (ZooMed Reptisun 5.0 linear tube recommended in the buffalobirdnerd paper) and only about 1/3 the length of my cage. It casts a lovely cone that Harry seems to appreciate. I have to set up a timer yet.

·
Super Moderator
3,823 Posts
I have never used artificial lighting but I have always been curious about it. We are doing some renovations and Kiwi is not near a window right now. Maybe something to revisit. It’s so dark now too. Light is so important for them. And me!

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
We run M&m led avian lights over the cage from 10am until 7pm. We run avian Sun CFL FROM 11am to 3pm. With our schedules Rio is out of cage much of that time. Then he likes to sit in the sun and yell at the birds ar the feeders outside.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We run M&m led avian lights over the cage from 10am until 7pm. We run avian Sun CFL FROM 11am to 3pm. With our schedules Rio is out of cage much of that time. Then he likes to sit in the sun and yell at the birds ar the feeders outside.
Yelling at birds 😄. Harry would alarm scream randomly last fall. Last year was our first year without cats or dogs as well as our first year as bird owners. Turns out he was alarming everytime a mouse ran across our floor. (Not random at all!) We sealed all entries to the house and haven't had alarms due to mice since.
Thanks for your detailed lighting information. (M&M lights come up as a favorite for hook bills across many web sites)

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
Yelling at birds 😄. Harry would alarm scream randomly last fall. Last year was our first year without cats or dogs as well as our first year as bird owners. Turns out he was alarming everytime a mouse ran across our floor. (Not random at all!) We sealed all entries to the house and haven't had alarms due to mice since.
Thanks for your detailed lighting information. (M&M lights come up as a favorite for hook bills across many web sites)
They can see and hear quite well. I have bird cams on Rio and Jules before him. When I remote and check on them I can always tell if something is going on around the house depending on how they act. Then I check the other cams and sure enough I can find something going on some where around the house. Seems that being prey animals make one very sensitive to such things.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I just have Pugsley's lamp on an hour or so in the morning and and about 2 hours in the afternoon. If I plan on taking him outside for some real sunshine, I do not use the lamp at all that day. I am just not totally convinced about their effectiveness. Plus I worry about Pugsley's eyesight. Birds can get cataracts and blindness from too much exposure to full spectrum light.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just have Pugsley's lamp on an hour or so in the morning and and about 2 hours in the afternoon. If I plan on taking him outside for some real sunshine, I do not use the lamp at all that day. I am just not totally convinced about their effectiveness. Plus I worry about Pugsley's eyesight. Birds can get cataracts and blindness from too much exposure to full spectrum light.
Thank-you for your contribution. I've read both what you've stated and the opposite view from Avian vets/researchers saying they are safe/not safe. There is a full spectrum of opinions on artificial lighting as well as the lighting itself. It's much like diet. This is where the lines really blur. Some research says this light is needed to work with a bird's diet in order for nutrients to be properly metabolized, etc.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Exactly! The experts can't come to an agreement. I am not knocking it, I am just not sure about it. That makes me tend to stay on the side of caution when it comes to my little ball of fluff! But that is just me. Every owner should do what they think is best for their birds.

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
There are two aspect to it.
There is full spectrum light in what you get at the box store, sometimes called daylight or natural light. and avian full spectrum that is supposed to have UVA & UVB (ultraviolet) aspects to it.
Traditional home lights tend to be sort of dim and yellow. Our little ones do not necessarily see well in such. I have replaced most of these in my house with the natural daylight bulbs. My birds see better in it (and as I get older so do I) with Jules it made a big difference in how she acted and flew.
The UVA & UVB aspects gets a bit questionable. I know from my aquarium days that such life is absolutely necessary for some animals. Lots of money goes into that for salt water folk. How much the bulbs we use for birds help is unknown. I suspect it is better than nothing but unfiltered sunlight is best.
Current issue that is causing problems is that you can only do UVA and UVB with some types of tech. LED is not one of them and we are being forced into LED. A whole lot of what we are seeing is that the UVA and UVB is not necessary may be the sales / political machine pushing this tech.

Reactions: HarryTheParrotlet

·
Registered
19 Posts
M&M LED lights are great. I also use the combination of them and Avian Sun lights. Our single parrotlet and single budgie always have their cages open, so they can self-regulate. Both M&M LED and Avian Sun lights are connected to Kasa Smart Plug Power Strip https://a.co/d/4J49ci7 and are on schedule. They periodically on and off during the day, additionally allowing birds to rest. I'm trying to coordinate the time they light up first time on the morning with the sunrise. At evening during the summer the scheduler turns them off at around 8:30, during the winter time I make them to turn off for the night earlier, around 7:30 or so.

·
Administrator
5,396 Posts
I use Wyze system to automate my house. They run my cams, record events, send notifications, turn electric plugs or lights on and off. They handle my bird cage lights and our aquarium lights. The schedules can get complex if I want. But a nice feature is I can do it all remotely from my smart phone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I use Wyze system to automate my house. They run my cams, record events, send notifications, turn electric plugs or lights on and off. They handle my bird cage lights and our aquarium lights. The schedules can get complex if I want. But a nice feature is I can do it all remotely from my smart phone.
We also have a single Wyze cam that we use for child monitoring mainly. Pairing can be problematic but they give a good image. I doubt we'll ever have one system to rule them all in our house.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts