Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO, I have learned that the average "full spectrum" bulb isn't enough for birds. Their definition of "full spectrum" is what humans can see, and not birds. Birds have tetra chromatic vision. WHICH MEANS;

I need a specialty bulb that emits UVB and UVA. Does anyone have any recommendations? I know there's featherbrite and the controversial AvianSun bulb, but have any of you found a bulb that have the correct CRI, UVB, UVB, lumens and 5500k warmth? (or extremely close.)

Avian bulbs are expensive, I am alternatively trying to find something cheaper before I go and order a $30 bulb online!

·
Super Moderator
4,629 Posts
SO, I have learned that the average "full spectrum" bulb isn't enough for birds. Their definition of "full spectrum" is what humans can see, and not birds. Birds have tetra chromatic vision. WHICH MEANS;

I need a specialty bulb that emits UVB and UVA. Does anyone have any recommendations? I know there's featherbrite and the controversial AvianSun bulb, but have any of you found a bulb that have the correct CRI, UVB, UVB, lumens and 5500k warmth? (or extremely close.)

Avian bulbs are expensive, I am alternatively trying to find something cheaper before I go and order a $30 bulb online!
Either featherbrite or avian sun bulbs are fine. I have used both to go effect. I keep one on a timer over Jules cage. The Avisun controversy is mostly a non issue. Seems there was some games being played by Avisun's competition at the time.
I also have replaced many other lights in my house with full spectrum daylight bulbs. They do not have UVA & UVB component of the light but do allow for the birds to see better. Added benefit is that they allow us to see better and feel better also.

·
Super Moderator
6,615 Posts
Do you have to use these bulbs in a special light fixture or could just put it into a lamp fixture near my fids cage? Would it have to be positioned directly over them?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm wondering the same things as Mrs.JP3. I have a small lamp (bedside reading lamp) I could use if they use a regular light fixture.
Been thinking that getting full spectrum lights around the cage with UVA/B would help. At least as long as the boys aren't tame enough for harness training, because I don't feel comfortable taking them outside without one. The ceiling lights are halogen spots. They are supposed to be full spectrum, I think, all halogen lights? But if not, I dont think I can exchange those as easily.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE!!

SO! I've decided that I'm going with the featherbrite bulb. I feel like I cannot trust anything else. I purchased it from amazon, so it was a little pricey.. but I NEED IT. lol.

And, I believe on the actual featherbrite website, it says that it fits in regular light fixtures, just like a normal incandescent light bulb would. I have one of those spot light lamps that are commonly used for lizards. (not using any warming lightbulbs though). It said that it should fit into those!

When is arrive i'll let you guys know how I (and Fletch of course) like it!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I was wondering the same also. I just got the featherbrite bulb and was hoping it would fit in a regular lamp, and it did! The base of the bulb is a normal size. I got the "21 watt spiral compact lamp Full spectrum " from mybirdstore.com. I thought they should know what the feathered ones need. ;).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was wondering the same also. I just got the featherbrite bulb and was hoping it would fit in a regular lamp, and it did! The base of the bulb is a normal size. I got the "21 watt spiral compact lamp Full spectrum " from mybirdstore.com. I thought they should know what the feathered ones need. ;).

Oh awesome! Good to hear! Have you notice any difference in your birds' activity, attitude, plumage, etc? I'm mainly getting it because of the lack of sunlight Fletch gets. She needs those UVs!

·
Registered
127 Posts
I haven't noticed any changes yet, but I have only had it for a few days. I don't leave it on all day, just a few hours. It was rainy and dark The last two days and I hah it on longer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts