Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I decided to start doing some clicker training with Herky, and it went really well! Much better than I expected, in fact; he'd figured out that I wanted him to "beak" the target stick I was using in about 10 minutes, and then had a great time practicing the command with me for the next 5 minutes or so. I was thrilled, since he was scared of the stick when we started. The session ended up being so much fun! :)

Now that he's got that, I'm hoping to start working on getting him to go into his cage willingly, since he's been having trouble with that recently (even going so far as to lightly bite me when I put him away). So far I'm not having any brain waves about how to communicate to him what I want him to do so that he associates going into his cage with getting a click (and treat!). Anyone got any suggestions? Is there a good order in which to work on various kinds of commands after that? I have no idea how I'm going to teach him to "shake hands"...

Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm looking to pick up a book on clicker training eventually myself - you'll have to keep me updated on how things go so I can decide between trying to clicker train Midori when I get or or not to!

Anyways, to try and work him into getting into his cage you might want to try the stick you just trained him to touch. Have him work on touching the stick while on the cage then slowly lead him around the cage (side walls, front etc) and eventually put the stick in beside a perch or something & reward him once he is in the cage and touches the stick like the rest of the times previous. It might work, just make sure to use a cue word so he knows "Go in" or w/e you use means to go in his cage vs just the clicker going off =)

Good luck!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I love clicker training!! Ohh my little Oliver didnt take to clicker training well at all. He wouldnt come near me and generally didnt like that I was near him. I'll definitely try again when we've bonded more - it worked with my lovebirds so I know it does work!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts