TalkParrotlets.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many of you know our story. Rescued Bo and Jules back in 2013. Lost Bo within a year. Been with Jules ever since. She was a scared, bitey, shy. aggressive little thing that stole our hearts and have become a very sweet bird. She is now getting a bit elderly and a bit sickly but still a great bird. Over the years we have grown accustomed to her and her many chirps, tweets, scolds and very other noises. She has always been a rather quiet bird except when lost or wanting out of her cage. End of last year for various reason we ended up getting Rio. Jules surprised us, instead of being aggressive as I feared a mother instinct kicked in and she has adopted him. This has worked well for all. We all get the comfort of a new flock member. Jules experience and trust of us is being taught to Rio and between that, a good breeder, and a timely pandemic that allowed us a bunch of at home time he is fitting in as well as can be expected for a baby bird.
Now to the point. We knew many of Jules noises. The tweet for me, my wife and my mother were known. Same with bed time, let me out, come get me and, of course, where the hell are you? Rio has changed the game. While Jules noise are still the same Rio is a chatter box. Most I can not figure out yet. A lot seems to be for the youthful joy of tweeting, chittering, etc. He is a bit of a mimic and I caught him the other day mimicking my laugh. (Jules always did my throat clearing) To make it even more complicated Jules has picked up on Rio's chittering ways. She is now making noises I have never heard from her before. Got to love parrotlets, they are always an interesting surprise.

Back in the day I was of the opinion that having two parrotlets was good but having one is better. I think this was because of how much more loving Jules became after we lost Bo. Now with Rio I may be revising my thinking. Having two parrotlets is a hoot. A bunch of fun. But it is definitely messier.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Lovely story of how it can work. Im glad for you all. I am not in a position to get two birds.

Huey was a chatter box, some words were clear only to us and some were clear to everyone. Then there were the long sentences he said regularly that we could not decipher. He was so loud I would not want him as the guide to another bird. lol.

Sunshine is so quiet and only a few times has loudly chirped. If I play parrotlet on computer he chirps loudly. Sunshine is learning to talk, can't figure most of it out but in the middle of his soft chirps there are odd noises.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
I am glad that Jules and Rio are providing a lot of entertainment. While your birds do get along, there is no guarantee that they will for most people. It is common for them to not get along with other parrotlets or pet birds, which can result in having completely separate out of cage times. Another factor that people may also not consider when getting an additional bird is extra vet costs.

·
Super Moderator
4,873 Posts
Tumi has so many noises it is crazy! It is really nice that Jules likes Rio. I'm pretty sure Tumi would not like a second bird as he is the center of the universe and won't even "share" with a stuffed animal. :) I am definitely a "one spoiled bird at a time" person, although briefly I got Tumi a fish and he liked watching it!

One of the things about Tumi is that he mimics, and so at this point I don't know which sounds are natural to parrotlets and which are him mimicking other birds he boarded with or sounds he's heard or weird noises we make with each other. I remember when he was a young bird being very frustrated that I had no idea what any of his sounds meant after 17 years with my cockatiel. It is a fun journey of developing a shared language, for sure, especially with a parrotlet that mimics! He makes noises, I make them back, and I don't remember who started it with the noises in the first place! :D

·
Super Moderator
4,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am glad that Jules and Rio are providing a lot of entertainment. While your birds do get along, there is no guarantee that they will for most people. It is common for them to not get along with other parrotlets or pet birds, which can result in having completely separate out of cage times. Another factor that people may also not consider when getting an additional bird is extra vet costs.
true, and it may have been too much if I did not have years of training by Jules and an understanding of parrotlets. Still it is working out much better than I expected. Now if I can get Rio’s enthusiasm to bite sorted out all would be well.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Jules and Rio are tolerating each other and this is good. I was a little worried when Rio came along, but you have done a good job with them. As far as vocabulary is concerned, the two p'letts that I have had, both were talkers, callers and noisemakers. Bogie was tops when it came to vocabulary. He surprised the heck out of me at age 5 months. He started repeating words, phrases, and noises. He never said a word that we couldn't figure out what he was saying. He spoke clearly. Ricochet was 10 weeks old whea I got him. On the way home from picking him up for the first time, I got him to say, " Pretty Bird " and " Kiss, kiss, kiss ". He learned all this during the one and a half hour drive home! When I told the breeder, she was amazed!

By the time he was a year old, he had a vocabulary of 28 words and sentences. He was another Bogie, for sure.
Ozzie...if anything, take advantage of Rio's mimicking! He will learn his motivation to talk if you take an interest in working with him . As they get older, they do not learn ( or want to learn) new words as easy. Before Bogie got sick, it took me 6 months to teach him a new phrase. In his youth, it would take a week or 10 days to teach him the same thing. So, if you want Rio to talk more, start now. You will be surprised!🦜

1 - 6 of 6 Posts