Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Laying eggs

658 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ozzie3860 
#1 ·
My bird is now on egg 14. She is by herself so they are not fertilized. I feel she is losing feathers and very weak. What do I do?

#2 ·
Keep feeding her millet, egg and anything else she will eat. Do not take the eggs out but either leave them in or replace them with fakes. She should be stopping soon. She is about at the top end of a large clutch. If you are really concerned see an avian vet.

#3 ·
She needs a modified diet if she is the type to lay eggs. 14 is a lot and finely chop up some scrambled eggs or a hard boiled egg and put some on top ( half a teaspoon daily, or more if she wants it) of her regular food. This is the fastest way to get the nutrients she so desperately needs at this time. ( Sometimes I would mix finely chopped broccoli in with the egg, but not too much).

Try not to touch her below the neck when you have her out. This action may be one that stimulates the hormones to start egg laying. Some hens have to have shots to regulate the hormones. A good avian vet can help.

Keep us posted!

Dave

#5 ·
Wow! Are you saying that your bird has had a clutch of 14 eggs? Or has she had more than one clutch? An average clutch for a parrotlet is 4-7 eggs, but they can have more. Lupron injections are an option and are relatively safe, but they do not work for every bird. It is something that you should definitely discuss with your avian vet. Egg laying depletes calcium in your bird so be sure to provide your bird with a cuttlebone, mineral block, foods like broccoli and leafy greens, eggshells, powdered calcium, or liquid calcium.

These are two stickies on how to discourage egg-laying that you should read if you have not already. There are ways help discourage and curb hormonal behavior that can lead to unwanted egg-laying. It is important for those of us with females to know what hormonal behavior looks like. None of us want our bird having unwanted eggs! Egg laying can be dangerous and life threatening.

Let us know how she is doing!

How to Discourage Egg Laying by Minimizing Hormonal Behavior

How to Discourage Egg Laying by Minimizing Hormonal...

#6 ·
14 is a very large clutch. I have heard of such before but very seldom. did she stop laying? If so what was the final count? Is she doing well now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.