Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just wanted to share: while I have been typing my latest responses the birds have been flying fast laps around the house! Home base is the cage, of course. Then they zoom across the house to the bedroom where my wife is reading. They have mastered the art of high speed sidways landings so the pause in the bedroom occurs with them standing sidways on the string connecting the venitian blinds. Then they zoom back out and pass me typing away and return to home base. The process repeats every 3 to five minutes. They are on lap five, I think.

The funny part is that the boy, Sparky, is screaming his head off the entire time he's flying so that there is a doppler effect as he buzzes past!

Considering our birds have room to fly inside their cage and do quite a bit of flying outside their cage and are still full of spunk, what do the birds with clipped wings living in small cages do to burn off all of this energy?

Regards,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have this fabulous visual. Oh what i wouldn't give to let B'Jo fly free. She and I were just on the porch having coffee( in her cage of course). I live under two old old live oaks and we have plenty of cardinals and chickadees. They are very curious about Miss Jo. She can imitate the wren perfectly. The weather feels just like spring. I do not like winter and ours should be here on Monday so I thought she and I better enjoy the porch while we can.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I live a few miles from Lafayette, Louisiana that's about 3 hours west of New Orleans.Lafayette is the heart of Cajun country. The culture is found no where else that I have ever been. I've lived here for about 10 years. The food, the people, Mardi Gras. The hurricane was horrible but it could not kill the spirit of the people in South Louisiana. You know I know people saw pictures of the devastation but to see it for real was staggering. Pictures do not show what it was really like. Around my house the trees instead of swaying back and forth they were twisting and un twisting. Every season now it's so scarey.

·
Registered
794 Posts
The way I typed that post it sounds like Katrina hit my area, my area was hit by Andrew, when I described the trees I was thinking of when Andrew hit here and tore everything up. Katrina evacuees came to my area here. I don't want to disrepect the people who lived though it by not making my self clear. Some days I'm never clear lol. We got some of the weather but not the flooding. Compared to there we were high ground lol

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Memmey,

I'm glad that you, the old live oaks and your house (I hope) survived the storm. I can't imagine what the devastation is like in person as I understand that pictures cannot capture it.

Considering you are out on the front porch, hopefully life has returned to somwhat normal.

Although I'm not complaining, since we've had the mildest winter in New Jersey in 200 years, I would rather be able to sit on my front porch, have my morning coffee and enjoy the weather.

Regarding miss Jo., flight is a tradeoff, it increases our comfort and allows us to keep our birds with us and possibly keeps them safer but it eliminates the thing that birds were designed to do. We've made the decision to keep them flighted, it wasn't a decision we took lightly but we are happy with it.

I guess I'll rephrase my question from the first post: do non-flighted birds have less energy or are they able to expend it in other ways?

Buuzbee,

Thanks, we think they are both really cute and a riot!

Regards to both,

Art S.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Art have you seen the movie " an Inconvienent Truth"? I regret my vote in the last presidential election, I wish I could have seen that before I voted. I'm editing now....Andrew the huricane came thru here I think was 2002 or maybe 2003. Everthing here is fine except our population as increased with evacuees. When I was typing I remembered the trees and added that, I should have erased and started over it made it sound like it just happened. It happened and I hope never does again but not during Katrina. I beleive in karma, truth is important to me I live by what goes around comes around..lol

·
Registered
23 Posts
I currently have 3 birds. My Africian Grey, Merlin, has never flew. He's about 7 years old and he never learned. When he I got him around 4 months old, his wings were clipped. He got where he would jump/fall from his cage and made a bad sore on his breast bone where he landed. The vet recommended letting his wings grow out to see if it could help him glide better to the ground when he jumped. It helped some. I remember one time he took off down the hall about a foot off the floor. He landed and turned back and looked at me with a look of what the heck was that! He doesn't jump down much now. If something scares him he will though. He'll climb down from his cage now. He does flap his wings like crazy when he is playing with toys or you give him a shower.

My sun conure, Nova II, is a free flight bird. He will fly back to his cage when you get close. He will fly from the play tree to me or from another person to me. But he doesn't seem to just fly around for the exercise.

Ozzie has just started flying about 2 inches or so back to his cage when we get close to the cage. His wings are clipped though.

I did lose a sun conure once, Nova I. His wings were clipped also.... he was on my shoulder when someone opened the door. It scared him and he took off and went out the door. It was a windy day and the wind caught him. He ended up high in a neighbor's tree. I brought my other bird, Gandolf, out in his cage and he was yelling for his brother. Nova would lean over and flap his wings like he wanted to come down, but he was scared. :( My hubby ran down to Lowe's and got a two telescoping painting handles and taped them together. We taped his little hut to the end of it. Thinking if we could get it close he would climb in it. When it got close it scared him and he flew off. It was getting dark by this time and we couldn't follow him. It got pretty cold that night... I cried and cried. I called all the vets around, posted flyers around the neighborhoods within miles of my house, I put an added in the lost and found section of the newspaper and even on websites that had forums about lost birds. We never did hear anything? :mad: :mad: I did learn that many people if they find a tame bird will keep it, instead of looking for the owner. Nova was a sweet bird and would go to anyone. So I keep telling myself that someone found him and is taking good care of him.

Though I'm long winded (get use to it! LOL), we need to remember that even when some of the small birds wings are clipped that they can catch the wind. So be careful. Anytime I have my birds out, I lock the doors so that everyone had to use a key to come in and I can hear them, ask them to wait and get the bird put in a safe place.

I wonder if some bird just never even think about flying. My cockatoo, Bernie, never did, though he would jump down and glide and his wings were never clipped when I had him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts